Sign in to follow this  
Guest wizard01

FS2002 - Contrails

Guest wizard01

Will someone tell me how to remove the Contrails in FS2K2 Pro that appear when the aircraft approaches FL300, please? I have d/l a nice little program that allows me to turn contrails on/off 'at will', simply by pressing the "i" key - these contrails are much slimmer than the default ones.Afterthought! Anyone know where I can d/l a MD-11 Freighter?

eumh wizard01,I think you're mixing two different things up here:the contrails that appear from FL300 are the contrails that come out the engines(like in real life when you look up to the sky)then you have contrails that come from the flzps/wingtips,that normally only appear when there is a lot of moisture etc.when you press the I-key,these last contrails will appear

Guest wizard01

Hi Seba,Thanks for your reply. Yes, that would be it - 'vortices'? though these vortices do appear well inboard of the wingtips, but I'm sure you are right. I would still like to remove the contrails though. :)Thanks once again.

Hi thereI dont think you can remove the contrails at the moment as its programmed into the sim and you cant just take it out.You could remove the texture from the effects folder that makes the contrails be seen but they would still be there but invisible. ONly trouble is I dont know what file does the contrail but its in the effectstexture folder but if you do play with those make sure to back them up first.Its either fx_1.bmp or fx_5.bmp but thats all I know.I guess you could then just replace the bmp with the one you made and then it would appear..but thats just a thought for now. You would have to experiment.Craig Kiltie

wizard,just out of interest:why would you wanna remove the contrails?in my opinion,this makes it all far more realistic

Thanks for that.I think the bmps are just the textures I think.Thanks thoughCraig

It sounds to me that he would rather use the slimmer ones available with the smoke system key.If that's the case, my avice would be to find the fx file used by the smoke key (you can find the name in the aircraft.cfg under {smoke_system} ), make a copy of it and rename the copy "fx_contrail_l.fx". You would still get the contrails at FL300, but they would be the slimmer ones used by the smoke system.

Guest wizard01

My thanks to everyone for their input on this thread, it's very interesting and helpful.It's true that I wanted 'rid' of those thick trails of condensation (I'm not sure now if 'condensation' is the right word!) - but last night I 'laid' this subject on a Real Time BA Captain!! after no more than 30 seconds he 'lost' me completely :-) - he went on and on! all I know now is that 'condensation' and vortices are two totally different subjects (as Seba said in the first place).Being a simple country lad? my plan is to use vortices up to FL290 then allow 'condensation' above that ha ha! you can't beat Nature.