Sign in to follow this  
Guest B1900 Mech

Use Of ATA Codes For Tips/ Squawks

Guest B1900 Mech

Hi all! Since we PMDGrs all strive for realism, Why not use this system http://www.wencor.com/resources/ata.html For Information storage, retrival? Could AVSIM institute this? Thank's From Jim Driscoll A&P Mechanic

Guest Ian_Riddell

Hi, Jim. I think you'll find that most sims are aimed at the pilot rather than the engineer. You may have noticed that your average flight deck AOM is arranged slightly differently from your average Maintenance Manual... unless you're talking about MEL's/DDG's (which involve the engineer also).The ATA chapter system is not exactly transparent/user friendly. For example, you won't find 747-400 Autothrottle stuff in Chapter 22 (Autopilots)... You'll find it in Chapter 34, Navigation, because the A/T computer is contained within the FMC rather than in it's own computer. There are also bits and pieces of Autothrottle in other chapters (Engines)Aural Warning is another reason not to break up tips and squawks into ATA chapters. Would the aural warning come under Instruments (ATA Chapter 31), Flight Controls (Chapter 27. eg. Config Warning) or Navigation (Chapter 34, eg. GPWS)? Stab Greenband stuff is a real pain to find.Another example.... Weather Radar. Even though it should not be used for navigational purposes, it's still found in Chapter 34 (Navigation).There are many more examples I could give you ;-)Hope this helps?Cheers.Ian (fellow engineer).

Yes trust me I am a mechanic. I cant even read them some times. Just sit down and read a 757 manual. Try to figure out what kinds of coats of paint the aircraft can use. Good luck!

Guest B1900 Mech

So that's why I am on the phone to the tech rep all the time?;-)

Hi Jim, (and Ian)I got my pocket ATA code book right here and it looks as if this is getting filed as 0554 and headed for 1012. :-)I thought it was a good idea myself but I'm kinda biased like yourselves (AMT for 15 yrs now)RegardsPaul Gollnick :-coolTechnical Operations/Customer Operational SupportPrecision Manuals Development Groupwww.precisionmanuals.com

Paul Gollnick

Manager Customer/Technical Support

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg

>The ATA chapter system is not exactly transparent/user>friendly. I think its transparent, of course depending on a lot of things, there are a very precise idea behind it and all aircrafts has to follow it :-)But for a person who knows nothing about it, it is hard to use, when pilots write in the log they do it wrong all the time, they should take the MEL and look up the ata, but they are to damm lazy :-( (when i became a Mech a long time ago we used a lot of time on this)But for a sim, i just think you will give people more trouble than they need, they dont need to learn this part.DennisLicensed on the B737NG and the Airbus 319-321 as a technician (B1 and B2)