Sign in to follow this  

XP Gurus!! Instructions needed...

I have two hard drives on my system one 27gig and the other 80 gigs partitioned into 35 and 45 respectively. I am running XP home edition right now and I would like to set up a dual boot with 98ME as my second OS. I want 98 on the 45gig drive. Can you give me some instructions on how to make this happen? Thanks!!

Hey RichBI did the very same thing except I partitioned out 1 huge hard drive. I'm not sure how you have that second HD partitioned. It might be as simple as just installing Win98 on that partition. But I doubt it. I had to use the "debug" application in DOS and I found some script somewhere where you could muck with the ntloader. It could be kind of tricky. But then again maybe not!! Hope this helps.

Guest United

I have contemplated doing the same thing at times, but changed my mind. Use Windows XP "Help and Support" and search on "Dual operating systems" and you'll get plenty of help. And, I think you must install both systems on whichever hard drive is the boot drive. The boot drive must be partitioned and you gotta take care to use the correct file system (FAT32, ect). It's all there in help section and it wouldn't hurt to do a internet search on the subject as well.

Guest DNelson

2 requirements for a dual-boot system with Win98:1. Win98 must be installed on the boot (C:) drive only. No other drive (D:, E:, etc.), whether physical or partitioned, will work.2. The drive Win98 is installed on must be formatted with FAT32.Once Win98 is installed on C:, you can install XP on any hard drive (physical or partitioned) on your machine.

RichB,Here's how you can do this.Put the 45GB as the Primary Master HD, and then put the 27GB HD as the Sceondary master. This is done by setting the jumpers on each drive, and also making sure the cables are in the right place. The cable looks like this:|1|=======|2|===|3|1 This one connects to the motherboard.2 This one connects to the primary.3 this one is for the Secondary.Of course you probably know that already!!Then install windows 98 on the 45GB drive. Then when installing XP home choose the seocd drive to install too. Once the install is finished XP will boot as the primary OS. Windows 98 will show up as the second entry in the boot list.If you have questions please ask!!http://www.forefrontgrp.com/jayssig.jpg"There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss!"

Thanks for all the advice gentlemen. I've got to think twice about this, I finally got my system running like I want it to, I've got to decide if I want to take the risk hosing my setup. I didn't realize I would have to uninstall XP before setting up Win 98. The risk for me lies in the fact that the last time I uninstalled XP and tried to reinstall it I ended up having to go through two microsoft techs before they figured out what the problem was. The only reason I wanted the dual boot was so I could program my CH Product joystick and yoke using the (I forgot the name) program. Once again though thanks for the replies.

Hmmm... I'm running fine with Win98SE on D and WinXP Pro on C.

Guest DNelson

I guess my reply was a little misleading. I've never done it this way, but as I understand it, you can install Win98 on a physical or logical disk other than C. However, that takes away some flexibility with disk formatting. As described in this Microsoft article, if you install Win98 on a higher disk, the system disk (C:) must also be formatted with FAT32. If someone wanted to install XP on C: using NTFS, things could get complicated.Dan

Good point Dan. I have three drives all formatted FAT32. I never thought about the problem created if one wanted to use NTFS with the XP install. - Trip