Sign in to follow this  
JRR

Place bearing distance points problems

Yesterday I encountered a problem with the place bearing distance point function on the FMC. I was flying online to LGHI (Chios in Greece) and ATC told me to fly the standard VOR/DME procedure for runway 01. So I entered in MES which is the starting point for the approach procedure and I checked the legs page to see if the right point was selected which was the case. After that I created a place bearing distance point from MES on the 121 radial at 9 DME, so I entered MES121/9 and placed it on the legs page. To my suprise the point was about 1300NM away from MES. So I went to the fix page and entered MES as a fix and created 121/9. The right point showed up on the ND, but when I brought the point to the legs page it was again 1300NM away from MES. After all I decided to fly the approach on the old fashioned way with the ND in the VOR mode. Are there users with the same kind of problems? Is it a know issue, or did I do something wrong? For the information I used FS2002, I have the service pack installed and I'm using the 0308 Airac cycle.regards,Jasper :-wavehttp://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg

Guest dape

Jasper,the syntax of your input to create the waypoint is correct.I did a DME arc like that. There are probably two MES inthe navdata and when you enter MES123/9 it picks the firstone in the list which in this case is the wrong one. I amnot 100% sure about it but I believe I have read about thisproblem before. I dont think there is a workaround. David

Guest amerton

Hi,The logic explained by David is probably right (I'm away from the computer).Added to the list.anthonyAnthony MertonPrecision Manuals Developmenthttp://www.precisionmanuals.com

Guest dape

I just checked the database and there are 2 waypoints called MES. The first one in the list is 1300 miles away from LGHI.David

Guest nutcase

Yes, there is two MES waypoints. The other MES is located near Norway's main airport (Gardermoen (ENGM)There is 2 MES i the database, as it is in the real world.Jan Roar R

Guest ilh

As a test, you might want to remove one of the MES fixes from your navdata files (probably wpNavAid.txt) so it only contains the one of interest. That would provide support for the argument that the FMC is incorrectly choosing the wrong one with PBD fixes.Lee Hetherington (KBED)

I followed your advise Lee and I deleted the other MES from the database. I loaded up the 737 to rebuild the approach again and this time I had no problems with the place bearing distance point. A strange thing is that the deleted MES (Mesnali) is the second MES in the database and Mesta is the first MES in the database, so I don't understand why the FMC automaticly selects a navaid which is 1300NM away.Thanks for everyone's reply, now I know where the problem is related to.regards,Jasper :-wavehttp://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg