Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gian

New system!!!!!!!

Guest Gian

Hi fellow pilotsI finally took the plunge and ordered an upgrade kit to my PC. It has been 4 years since I got my current PC which I have souped up to about as much as it can take.I will be getting an AMD XP 2400+ with 512Meg Ram and a MSI 4K motherboard.The other components will be scavanged from my current machine which included my GeForce 3 Ti 200.Do you think this is enough horsepower to enjoy FS2004 and PMDG 737 in all its glory?I am upgrading from an P3 600 with 786 with SDRAM.Opinions are appreciated.RegardsGian

>I will be getting an AMD XP 2400+ with 512Meg Ram and a MSI 4K>motherboard.>>The other components will be scavanged from my current machine>which included my GeForce 3 Ti 200.>>Do you think this is enough horsepower to enjoy FS2004 and>PMDG 737 in all its glory?Nope, it won't be enough, but then again there are no systems at the moment that are capable of turning everything up to full and still get the fps needed.What you are getting now will however make for a real improvement and you wil certainly be able to enjoy fs9.You will have to slide a few of the eyecandy options a bit to the left but there will still be a lot to enjoy.I would suggest setting the fps to 18(locked), this gives a smooth feeling and with shift-z and some tuning you will get a great resultWillem

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hi Gian,Sounds pretty good. If by 'all it's glory' you are talking about having everything turned up and on, I would have to say Willem is right. It won't be quite enough horsepower. I wuld say it will come close though if you were to get a newer more powerful video card, and the main thing it could use is another 512 MB of ram. Seriously, get the extra ram if there's anyway you can swing it. If you could get a new video card I would highly recommend getting an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro or 9800 Pro. I think they beat current day Nvidia cards, but opinions will vary. I would have to say that overall, that is a system that I think you'll enjoy quite a bit though. Just my 2 cents.Let us know how it goes! :)Jim Richards

Guest Gian

Thanks guysI will have to make due for awhile. I think the other upgardes can come later. A bit out of pocket at the moment. Buut I will keep this in mind when I hve the mo available again.RegardsGian

Guest Boaz

I don't know what you are talking about???I have 1900+ AMD and still I have a frame rate hit, but not a hit that would render the aircraft unflyable...!2400+ isn't the fastest CPU around...Maybe you should think about paying the 100 bucks more or so for a 3000+??Boaz...

I just upgraded to pent.4 3.0gHz,1gig DDR400, gforce4, and asus p4p800 D. In windows mode at High scenery 30+ fps and in full mode 20+ fps all depending where you are at the moment of flight. Yes, and it does hyperthreading.Take it from there Gian hope you have fun on your new system :-).regardsNoboru

Sounds like a great system, but I should go for more ram and CPU.Also your VGA could be a bottle neck on your new Ferrari :(FS2004 is a hungry beast to say at the least and in combination with a complex piece of software like the PMDG 737...Full sliders to the right I don't think so... but with some tweaking you could enjoy both....XP2600+ (Barton) + G4 TI4200 128 mb 3ns fast memory (299/601 oc) + 1 gb ddr crucial 2.5 ram + riva tuner 43.51 drivers etc...FS2004 locked at 25 fps, most of the times with the 737 22 fps but with heavy overcast between 15 / 18 fps...Have fun with your new system :-)Andr

André

That fps are indictive of non-PMDG aircraft. The issue of framerate still exists in PMDG aircraft and values of 7-10 are perhaps the average.regardsNoboru

No wonder Gary! LOLI was aiming for a system like that but ended up with a P4 2.8GHz 800MHz FSB HT, MSI 865PE Neo2, 1Gb DualCh DDRAM PC3200, LeadTek geForce FX5600 Ultra 128Mb. Still getting much better performance than my old computer P3 800MHz/378Mb/GF3 Ti200 128MB ;-)What did you have to cough up for that system?TGIF,

Guest Ray CYYZ

Gian,Flat out, the GeFarse 3 cards are pretty much the bottom entry level card for anything flight simulator related. You will be able to run things pretty much as you did originally with a few extra notches to each slider in FS but you will not be able to turn on video card features such as Anti Aliasing without a major video card upgrade.These days, the video card pretty much costs the same as the rest of your system, so you have done half your upgrade.Even a P4 3.2GHz/1GB Ram & Nvidia 5900 FX can be brought to it's knees by maxing out options in FS9. As we continue to demand more reality, we drive up the costs of a rig capable of actually supporting it. It's a lost cause ;( Things will definitely be better, but do not for one second think that you are going to be moving those sliders over to Ultra Detailed for a couple hundred bucks worth of parts.Ray

Ok look at my system settings. I get a SOLID 20 FPS in FS9 with most sliders (EXCEPT CLOUDS) pretty high with the NG. [h5]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smith [h4]P M D G 7 3 7 NG[/h4]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/196432/mineimage.jpg [h3] Realism on the horizon [h5]AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF2 MX 32 MEG and still runs GOOD!|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"[/h5]

Guest Gian

I modified the order to thisAMD Athlon XP2600+ 2.083 GHz 333 MHz busAsus A7N8X-X mainboard for Socket ADDR-DIMM PC3200 512MB DDR CL2.5Anyway, looking forward to it and thanks for the input!!!!!RegardsGian

Guest acroshaw

Hi, I ipgraded as fs2004 was coming out,amd xp2600nforce 2 mothernoardnvidia 59000fx ultra 256mb1.5 gb 400mhz ramwindows xpam getting 30fps in vc, only thing that hits me is a lot of clouds, but even then never drops below 20fps, I still prefer nvidia to ati, the drivers are so much better! enjoy your system,ant