Sign in to follow this  
Vulcan

CH yoke and pedals - are mine going doolally?

I've successfully used USB yoke and pedals from CH for some time. As of late, however, all aircraft seem to be veering right and my rudder is snapping back to center (or thereabouts!) from various positions of trim. In other words, I end up doing a tap dance to keep myself in a straight line on the runway.I have tried RESET TO DEFAULT, played with the SENSITIVITIES (null zone) etc. and tried recalibrating both units several times, all to no avail. In another thread (on another subject) someone mentioned the possibility of dismantling the hardware and cleaning the potentiometers. Anyone else do this, or NEED to do this? Or might my problem be elsewhere? Any views appreciated, thanks.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

DM - I can only say that I have the same problem with my CH Yoke/Pedal (usb) combination - when I watch the control surfaces I can see them wandering off center, and then when I apply correction - they hesitate and, as you say, 'snap' back in to position. I can watch this 'wandering' from the Windows game device configuration utility - you can actually watch the crosshairs wandering off on their own.I am sorry to say I have not been able to find a cure. The Yoke is in it's box. However, the pedals work just fine when combined with an old MS FF mk1 gameport stick.I know some people (many) have absolutely no trouble with their CH combo's, and so I cannot understand where this problem lies.I am going to have to make a 200 mile plus journey to return the yoke, but I am glad they have a three year warranty. I do suspect a device problem, not a software problem.All I can say is: "you are not alone." WIN98SE users...do you have any CH USB problems - I seem to remember there was something of a problem there?Good LuckPH

Guest GOODY

Gentlemen:Have you considered calling CH Products Tech support?The phone number is 1-760-598=2518 ask for tech support.GoodyGoodacre@mwaz.com

Thanks, Goody. Yes - CH support suggest two things that might be in my way, although I don't know whether it applies to all:1. I recently set FS2002 up on Windows XP whereas before I was on Win 98SE. The version of CTL manager I am using is outdated and doesn't work well with XP.2. My USB lines come in through a hub. This is not recommended and can cause communication issues.So I'll sort all this lot out and repost if things get better in a day or so ... it'll probably take that long!Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

mmm.. i thought i was the only one. i have just noticed this starting to happen as well.very sad indeed, i hope nothing major is going wrong.ciao!Brian S

Ciao!

Guest Milton

I've had the USB ch yoke and pedals for almost 2 years now through w/98 and w/me. Had the same problems with both though less with ME.That leads me to believe it's either USB driver version related or pedal firmware implemetation with those drivers.A dead give-a-way when this happens too is in SLEW mode, the aircraft will move in the direction and at a propotionate speed to the veer intensity.Sometimes, even the fs2002.cfg numbers change for the pedal or yoke settings. So, I always keep a backup to restore those sections.Widening the null zone on the pedals might help with slight creeping but not usually. It seems that 'noise' when it starts will shake the crosshairs intensely in one direction.My gut feel is this is a static problem causing interference with the circuit board of the devices. Has anyone tried grounding the yoke and pedals together with the computer frame?Milton

Guest SD Sim

Hi Mark,When I installed XP pro on my new system, I first attempted to use the CH control manager as I had done previously with XP home. I found that the control manager wouldn't even recognize my CH products. I then uninstalled the control manager and let XP recognize the yoke/pedals (USB) directly. Worked like a charm, and I haven't had a problem since. I also connect the products through a USB hub, so no problem there. Just out of curiosity, have you disabled the USB "sleep" function in the device manager? I don't know if this will solve your problem, but it's easy enough to try.

Exactly the same problems here. Config: USB Yoke and Pedals on clean installed WinXPpro (dutch version), FSUIPC 2.86, CH manager installed but not used as advised...From what I remember I have installed the driver twice. I have a feeling WinXP has something to do with it. Could it be that a driver is overwritten by another driver during install?One other thing. These problems are relatively new. Anybody tried older versions of FSUIPC yet? Has anybody recently installed winXP without the new drivers of CH?Regards, Ferry

Guest PhilC

I too have the right turn tendancy which seems to have just recently started. I didn't notice it until I installed FSUIPC v2.85. Upgrading to 2.86 did not help. Could this be the culprit?I now have to keep a right yoke to keep the plane level and sometimes some right rudder to coordinate. Don't remember this before. I have recalibrated with FSUIPC a few times with no help.Also, my yoke and rudder connections usually have to be disconnected and reconnected to activate them after starting up FS2K2. This seems to be getting worse as time goes on. Never had this happen after my original install until lately. The USB 'sleep' mode is disabled.I do not use the CH manager for XP. Haven't heard much good about it and have never felt the need for it. XP, until recently, has worked perfectly with my yoke and pedals.

Same here, I didn't have this problem with FS2000 but ever since I installed FS2002 I have the rudder problem. I wish I'd know the solution and I guess I'm destroying the "hope" that it's winXP related as I run Win98SE.I can open FSUIPC and look at the pedal section and see the numbers increasing without even touching the pedals, but when I rock them back and forth they usually stay centered for a few seconds, sometimes minutes.I've tried anything I can think of so far (unplugged, installed without calibrating and without drivers, de-installed and unplugged and with calibrating but to no avail. It's just so strange that I didn't have the problem with FS2000.Just wanted to chime in.Cheers,Petehttp://home.neo.rr.com/zaehringer/pipersignature.jpgPIII600,512MB,Win98SE,DirectX8.1,Geforce32DDR(Det.22.80),SBlive(4.06.703), FSUIPC2.87, USB-CH-Products Yoke LE, USB-Pedals

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

Well, I've now done everything CH Tech told me to do - which was plug in my USB cables directly, rather than through a hub, and to install the latest Control Manager (version 1.31) and ....... no change. Grrrrr.It does seem to be rudder, not yoke. It dances away on its own, is uncontrollable on the ground and forces the plane right in the air ... also causes oscillation i.e. fast yawing. As someone said above, what proves it is when you go into SLEW: the plane veers rapidly clockwise.O wot to do? I shall call CH Tech in the morning again and get them to look at this thread, for starters ....Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

OK, I personally am starting to get there, although this may not apply to most:The main problem seems to be that as I run a joystick in parallel, there is a conflict - not unpredictably - between rudder inputs. Even leaving the stick well alone, it does seem to interfere with the CH pedals' signals, causing the problems well outlined above. I guessed as much way back, and disabled the rudder control on my joystick, as with pedals I don't need it anyway; but it turns out that FS2002 had done one if its mysterious resets of all assigments and REACTIVATED THE RUDDER CONTROL on the joystick. Once I killed it again, hey presto! A rudder that works.There are still issues as the updated CH control manager has done funny things and inserted all kinds of virtual "devices" that I don't need; but I have my rudder back. And Roger Wilco is back on my yoke, what's more. All so simple, and yet so obscure.Hope this helps any of you with a similar setup.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

>Sometimes, even the fs2002.cfg numbers change for the pedal or yoke settings