Sign in to follow this  
Bill_Browning

Painter's Tip

O.K., maybe I'm the last guy to figure this out, but - Did you ever wonder how the fuselage textures mapped on the nose and cockpit? It doesn't matter a whole lot if you are using solid colors up there, but using a gradient and/or texture will send things south quickly.Here's how they map:http://members.cox.net/bbrowning2/PMDG_Nose.jpg http://members.cox.net/bbrowning2/PMDG_Nose_T.jpgNote that the light blue and green squares from the top of the texture get wrapped around in the front. Also note that one side of the fuselage texture overlaps to the other side. This will cause you some grief on a non-solid color.Ah, but now you are armed with a couple of shots to help understand how things go up there - so, be creative!Best,Bill

Guest OneTinSoldier

Lol Bill,Right now I'm about to apply a livery you made for the Dreamfleet Piper Archer II with Text-O-Matic... hehe. I look forward to picking up your AA livery for the PMDG! :)Thanks,Jim Richards

Guest Daniel Pimentel

Nice stuff! Just a little tip; don't you think the dark blue top metal is FS98-ish? I've noticed many like to stick with it, but that's definitely not what AA's look like most of the time. You did a nice job, don't get me wrong. Just checking what your stance on the issue is. I prefer my metals a bit more neutral, like the one below. :) Again, nice work.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/32654.jpgCheers,Daniel Pimentel

Actually, I am using gradients I've developed over time. I haven't found one I like for FS2004. I used the quick and dirty method for this one. The environment is so much different than earlier FS's, I need to play a bit. I'm not very good at the bare metal thing. There's all kinds of things going on with that finish that are difficult to capture.The one above looks very good, though.Thanks.Bill

Guest Daniel Pimentel

Bill:I know what you mean. It's impossible to get AA "right", you can only try to get as close as possible for a SPECIFIC weather kind. I suggest you take a shot of the sky in FS9, get a photo metal, overlay em on medium opacity and play with it on the fuselage. Should give you a nice top metal...DP

Guest REDBEARD

Bill,I just have a question.Do you remember the Boeing livery you have made for the DF?Where did you get all the logos?(map of the earth,Boeing logo...).I would like to make an attempt of this great livery for the PMDG.Thanks.Olivier Sinnaeve.Belgium.

Olivier,That seems like such a long time ago! As I remember, I used logos from the Boeing site, as well as photos from airliners.net. The world map/globe I found on one of my daughter's graphics programs - Printmaster, I think. You should be able to search the net for this well. The most difficult thing to work out was the "Building on Success" logo. I never did find a satisfactory solution for that. I think I finally ended up tracing it from a photo.Good Luck!Bill

Guest Daniel Pimentel

Bill... That's better. :) Should look good with a bit of alpha. :)DP

Guest REDBEARD

Bill,Thanks a lot,i am going to search this.Best,Olivier