Sign in to follow this  

LVL CHANGE

Hi,Using FS2002. Flying around and just playing with the craft. I'm Level at 5000 and would like to climb to 10,000. I dial it into the ALT box hit level change and the aircraft starts accelerating and blows through the speed I have set on the MCP by about 8-10 kts while at the same time launching me into a 4000 FPM climb. It then gradually calms itself and resumes the speed I had originally set. Similar problem with descending.I've installed SU1 but interestingly enough when I look at the version of Airplane in the top right side of the screen in the "select aircraft" menu it still says 1.0.ZFW 119.3FOB 12,000LBSWhat's going on?Thanks,Paul

Guest cboyes

This is my take on what is happening here. When you hit LVL CHG it increases thrust to the max. N1 limit (from memory somewhere around 95% seems to be the default setting). Naturally this causes the aircraft to accelerate. To prevent the acceleration and maintain the required speed it needs to pitch up, but it doesn't pitch up fast enough and as a result it punches through the required speed. The very high ROC results from the need to pitch up quite a lot to get the speed to decrease back down to the required value. I've noticed this behaviour myself. What I don't know is if this is normal behaviour for a 737NG or not. I remember reading somewhere that the 737NG is massively overpowered so maybe this is normal. If I'm only climbing a few thousand feet then I prefer to use V/S mode because it works better in this situation, but LVL CHG is good when you're climbing to altitude and you aren't or can't use VNAV.

It is a well known issue on real NGs. The real aircraft will abruptly pitch up and accelerate insted of smoothly like some other crafts. Of course your pilot skills come into play here. You do not want to use V/S for large altitude changes on the NG, insted stick to LVL CHG. You can also start the climb manually and increase your speed then engage LVL CHG to lesson the pitch up atitude, the point is to learn how to have the A/P etc work with you, not for you...EDIT: For interesting reading, here is this very subject being discussed by real world NG pilots http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.ph...highlight=737NG[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smith [/4]P M D G 7 3 7 NG[/h4]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/196432/mineimage.jpg [h3] Realism on the horizon AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF2 MX 32 MEG and still runs GOOD!|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"[/h3]