Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ian_Riddell

737NG Stinks!

Guest Ian_Riddell

It's (almost) official.... A thread on the Bluecoat Forum began with this remark a few weeks ago...."On just about all of our 20 odd -800's there have been numerous reports of a distinctive smell during the latter part of the descent, usually starting around 8000' and most often dissipating by about 4000'. It is noticed in the cabin, as well as up front, and has been variously described as a "chemical", "smoky", "oily" (but not jet engine oil) smell."Boeing have reportedly acknowledged the problem and have found it to be related to bleed air duct temperatures peaking at (around) this time during the descent.Cheers.Ian.P.S. Sorry, just couldn't resist that title :(

Guest Rizzibird

Heo!Hehe, do you happen to know which airline operates these planes?Regards, Nejc

Guest Ian_Riddell

"Hehe, do you happen to know which airline operates these planes?"Hi, Nejc.I believe it is not airline specific... Many 737NG airlines have this problem.Some aircraft models are just naturally stinky ;-)Cheers.Ian.

Is that why you usually smell some sort of air freshener around the time the descent begins? I always thought it was because the the change in pressure made people f@rt, and they wanted to cover it up. :)

BobK

Guest Hagar

Must be the reason arlines cut down on food? :-hah :+

Ian,This is for you, Actual write-up on a 757 I had the other day" AFT GALLEY AIR CONDITIONING VENTS ARE PRODUCING A SMELL SIMULAR TO AN "OLD DOG HOUSE" CONTINUOSLY. THIS IS OPPOSED TO THE NORMAL "OLD SOCK" SMELL THAT OCCURS SOMETIMES." :-erksMakes you hugry Doesn't it. :-)Regards Paul Gollnick :-coolTechnical Operations/Customer Operational SupportPrecision Manuals Development Groupwww.precisionmanuals.com

Paul Gollnick

Manager Customer/Technical Support

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg

Guest tascaso

Yep, that reminds me of the time a friend and I flew up to St. Marie's Idaho from Oakdale, CA. We flew a Bonanza V35B on up to 14500 feet and ouch man did that hurt. We both looked like we were 8 months pregnant...very painful.Tony

Guest Rizzibird

Heo!Ouh, I see. I thought that this problem is only related to specific airline and its planes.Maybe it is good that many airlines have problems. It is better for competition. Maybe American or Delta could go Virgin's way and paint some smell related grafitti on their planes. You know, Virgin has ''Mine is bigger than yours'' and American could have ''Mine smells more than yours''. :-)Regards,Nejc

Guest Ian_Riddell

LOL...One thing I've always found amusing is that every international airline has it's own distinctive smell.... especially after a 11 hour sector (once that overwhelming new aircraft smell has worn off).....whether it be based on the native food, cleaning fluids, spray deodorizers, insecticides, or... cultural washing habits.Entry seen in one of our Cabin Logs (a long time ago).Report: Cockroach seen entering galleyAction: Cockroach seen leaving galleyUnfortunately, they've clamped down on the use of humour/sarcasm in writeoffs these days. Sometimes its soooo difficult to resist the urge. Cabin crew are poorly trained when it comes to aircraft systems, and it shows in their writeups. We know some of the things they write about can't physically happen.Oh, well, all in a days work....Cheers.Ian.

Guest ba747heavy

>Oh, you did not notice ?! In it in the VNAV update.Oh boy, did I notice *g*