Sign in to follow this  
Flaps30

Shorter Range Aircraft Delivery

Just curious, but how do medium range or short range aircraft such as Cessnas, Piper Archers, Biz Jets, commuters, 737s, etc. get delivered to far off delivery areas from the factory? I have seen many Just Planes videos with 737s or shorter route commuters such as the Dash-8 in Europe, Tahiti, etc. Are they ferried by pilots using shorter island hops for rufueling or is it done another way? Thanks.

I once read an article, which I think was a link found in this forum, which described a ferry of a Cessna from Europe to the states. In that case, several hops were made, and the aircraft had extra fuel tanks installed.Go on the other end of the scale, such as the Boeing BBJ, and it can fly non-stop to Europe from almost any city in the U.S. I imagine that aircraft which fall in between are all temporarily equipped for the extra fuel needed, to make the overwater hops.

Guest cw1011

I think you will find its a combination of hops and auxilliary ferry tanks. I saw a documentary on tv about a couple who flew their twin cessna (piston) to Europe. They fitted an auxilliary fuel tank in the cabin and basically flew up the coast of eastern Canada to Gander, over to Greenland, over Greenland to Iceland, then from Iceland to England. New 737s are capable of doing the transatlanic journey in one or two stops - Goose Bay is the usual stop, followed sometimes by a stop in Iceland.

Thanks for the info guys. I never thought of extended fuel tanks. Regards, Tom