Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ian_Riddell

Slow PDGM Bootup and FS2002 Exit Solved!

Guest Ian_Riddell

Finally solved the incredibly slow bootup problems I was getting with PMDG... and similarly slow FS2002 exit times... and did it with a mouseclick! (or two).Playing with a Desktop Shortcut for another well-known sim (which needs an interface program to allow it to run with WinXP), I suddenly thought to have a look at how my FS2002.exe file was set up. Rightclicking on the file and selecting "Properties", then "Compatability", I noticed that Compatibility box had a green tick in it (Unfortunately, I can't recall what was selected). I deselected the green tick and then clicked on the FS2000 icon to see if this had helped any.I booted up FS2002 and much to my surprise, when I selected the PMDG NG from the Aircraft list, the aircraft booted up within 20~30seconds (Quite a bit faster than the 6 or 7 minutes I had to wait previously). As an added bonus, FS2002 also shut down immediately after using PMDG (again, no more 7 minute wait).Anyway, many thanks to those who gave me the encouragement to persist. It's been a very costly exercise however, and I still don't understand why my other aircraft, including PIC, ran without any problems.Ahhh... the joys of flightsimming and computing (where Murphy's Law rules supreme) Cheeers.Ian.

Guest Ian_Riddell

"This looks a bit like using some fairy dust..."Hmmm..... 24 carat fairy dust, methinks...Just to make sure I wasn't dreaming, I set the Compatability mode to Win 95... the problem returned.... Slowwwwwww bootup... Slowwwww Exit.I'm surprised no-one else has experienced this???Cheers.Ian.

Guest ilh

Why did you ever use compatibility mode?Lee Hetherington (KBED)

Guest Ray_CYYZ

Lee,Required for PS to operate smoothly under Win XP, it is possible when hooking VDMSound for sound/joystick in PS, it messed up his defaults and things installed past them inherited them.The joys of multi-simming on one machine, fix one, break the other x( Just another example of Microsoft Windows at it's worse.Ray

Guest lbb

Hi Ian,Like you I have PS1 and it's well known XP shortcut, but I have to say I never experienced the problem you describe!? Have to say though that before upgrading to 768MB I did have the same problem, so I always assumed that your problem was simply related to your previous lack of RAM.Anyway I'm glad you found a solution!Leo Bakker