Sign in to follow this  
Guest tmetzinger

PMDG review on Flightsim.com

Guest tmetzinger

There is a pretty balanced review of the 737NG on FlightSim.com.Thanks to the new patch, the product is a lot better than described in the review (I'll have to check out the holds - I think the airplane flew it correctly last time).The verdict was that the product wasn't as polished as expected for one that is at the top of the pay scale for an add-on. I tend to agree with this assessment - I know if I'd bought the product in it's current state (SU1.1) I'd have been a lot happier than when I got it at the 1.0 release. I definitely think the product as it stands is worth the money.-Tim Metzinger

Sure he is correct on some things but anyone who knows anything about flying a 737NG can tell he has some learning to do before he talks about things he knows little if anything about! Oh I forgot, flying the other 737 makes him an expert ;)[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/196432/winglets_lg.jpg [h3] AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF2 MX 32 MEG and still runs GOOD!|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"[/h3]

Guest Cpt_Simoty

--Sure he is correct on some things but anyone who knows anything about flying a 737NG can tell he has some learning to do before he talks about things he knows little if anything about! Could you expand on that? I just read the review myself. Would love to know what you mean by this? Not being rude. Just trying to gain the view from this forum. CheersSimon Lloyd

Well, I think I can give you an example. He's talking about the FMS and he says, and I quote: "...allow the speed to build to 210 knots then with the A/THR armed I select LVL CHG on the MCP and allow the computer to take over the power levers. The climb rate is impressive, even at 210 knots (the FMC governs speed when LVL CHG is used so my 250 knots is ignored) the aircraft climbs at 3000 fpm or more..."Obviously he's not aware of how LVL CHG works. And he apparently does not know the speed/climb rate for the NG.I was also surprised about the CATII landing he was mentioning as a CATIII. Guess he was lucky to get the bird down without manual intervention in the final setting down.But all in all, except the minor discrepancies, I think it was a review worth reading...Regards,

It's easy to read between the lines, you will see little hints like "50% N1" 50% N1? Where does one come up with 50% N1? It's 40% N1, you can make up numbers if you like but it won't change this fact lol. "nose up to 20 Degrees" to hold what??? v2? V2+20? Was he light or heavy? Did he try R-TO? I guess it's all in the lack of details. "I select LVL CHG on the MCP and allow the computer to take over the power levers. The climb rate is impressive, even at 210 knots (the FMC governs speed when LVL CHG is used so my 250 knots is ignored) the aircraft climbs at 3000 fpm or more" HUH? Now this is the keeper, First, LVL CHG goes like this, A/T goes N1 and the PITCH MODE goes MCP SPEED. WHat does the FMC have to do with this? This one thing alone hould help anyone to see what I am talking about.....[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/196432/winglets_lg.jpg [h3] AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF2 MX 32 MEG and still runs GOOD!|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"[/h3]

Yeah, his understanding of how LVL CHG (FLCH) works is really wrong - its a continueous thrust mode that pitches for the speed you have set in the MCP window... his assesment is totally wrong.Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest Cpt_Simoty

I see a good point made. Puttting the words AT and LVLCHG does show a lack of understanding. I follow your arguement and agree with you.I also noticed the avsim.com vs flightsim.com battle there. Maybe I am overlooking something, but there was a hint of this in the review. But maybe im far wrong on this.All the bestSimon Lloyd

Flew the hold at ABBOT on the ABBOT1D into Stansted London today. Performed right on the money. No problems encountered.:-bigangel

Guest cw1011

My only question for this forum is whether the AP heading control works or not?Colin

Colin,Have been working flawless for me since I bought it (first release). I wonder if he just tried to change the heading bug without engaging a roll mode for the AFDS. ;-) I'm assuming that he was testing the FD without activating the A/P here.Cheers,

Guest PhilipManwaring

Yes - heading hold works perfectly from what I can tell.Regards,Philip Manwaring

I really like it when he compared the NG's FMC to the other *ONE*, of course he did not notice that this FMC actually is PART of the system ;)[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/196432/winglets_lg.jpg [h3] AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF2 MX 32 MEG and still runs GOOD!|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"[/h3]

Guest neil_c

250kts in the speed window for takeoff and firewalling the thrust levers?? Who is this guy, Captain Cowboy? :D

Guest OneTinSoldier

There are a few other discrepancies too,"As is the trend with complex cockpits the displays can be undocked in order to see them more clearly although it would seem that PMDG didn't think we'd want to see outside as the undocked displays appear in the top half of the screen (where the external view is) and are both un-movable and un-resizable so would present a bit of a problem if you were trying to land."Hmmm, it would seem someone there doesn't know how to use thier mouse search for the correct place to grab a hold of the undocked displays. I have no trouble moving them."The big issue here is there seems to be no save or import option so if you have a regular route be ready to have to input it manually EVERY time you fly."Hmmm, we seem to have trouble locating the SAVE LSK after activating and executing our route eh? And in seeing the CO ROUTE LSK on the RTE page, haven't we?"No drama there but I thought it only fair to you the purchasing public to take my life in my hands and fully stall the wing. The speed bled back as before and the stall warning activates again around 145 knots and I hold the nose up, rate of descent increases and when I am sure the wing is fully stalled I start to recover, by this point the nose has dropped to about 10

Guest Macs

Lucky ye guys didn't read my review over at simflight eh? I'd get grilled in here!Will be writing a follow up review once all the issues are dealt with to be entirely fair, but at the moment, this baby is keeping me real satisfied-fly her at least 3 hours a day!JohnP 2.53 GHZ512 RAMWINXPGFORCE 4 128MB Ti4600http://homepage.eircom.net/~eamonnmca/images/logo_ba.JPGwww.bavirtual.co.uk Senior Captain Simflight.com Staff Reviewerhttp://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg