Sign in to follow this  
Guest PaulL01

Flight Sim 2K2 still locking up. . . any and all ideas

Okay guys, I come to you once again. My computer still seems to lock up on me with FS2K2 running, along w/ other games (FIFA2K2)Im running XP Professional on an Abit KT7A mobo, with 256mb of SDRAM. Primary HDD (non FS) - 15gigs, Secondary (FS2K2) - 10gigs. With an AMD Tbird Athlon 1.2ghz CPU. I was able to fly from Heathrow to Paris. BUT, it locked up as pulled up to the gate. Was only a matter of time.I was also able to fly from SNA - ONT (John Wayne to Ontario Intl in SoCal), with the DF Archer.It locked up as I was taxing to the GA ramp.In FIFA2K2 it locks up as it loads a game (always after I have successfully played one match).I have thought about formatting both my hdd's again, and TRYing to start from scrath again, but I highly doubt it will work. BTW - Im using an OEM Visiontek GF3 TI 200.Thanks Again

Hi Josh,Sounds like you are caught up in the not-so-well hidden incompatibility issue between the Geforce video chipset and the Athlon processor chip. When queried, the Geforce people point out that on their box they recommend use with an Intel processor. AMD says go discuss this with GeForce, it's not a CPU problem. Guess who gets caught holding the bag, or in this case, the very expensive video card?.If you can lay your hands, even temporarily, on another video card, not GeForce, try substituting it and see if your problems persist. My Geforce card is presently holding down my stack of used printer paper, and my video card is the "Rage" card. Lock up problems immediately disappeared on replacing the video card.Charlie

gotta be kidding me. . . lolBut your information has been the best so far. I know of some people who have a GF card and an AMD processor and they dont have any problems. The problem did exist w/ my old video card (voodoo 3 2000 PCI)Josh

ok, I think I might have a HDD failure. But if so, I dont know how to explain it. FS2K2 will lock up, I will check my HDD LED, and it will be locked red. So, my HDD is trying to do something, but seems to fail at its attempt.

Guest Max Cowgill

>ok, I think I might have a HDD failure. But if so, I dont >know how to explain it. >>FS2K2 will lock up, I will check my HDD LED, and it will be >locked red. >>So, my HDD is trying to do something, but seems to fail at >its attempt. Just because your system's locked up doesn't mean you have a Hard Drive failure. What version VIA 4-in-1 drivers are you running? What version Detonator drivers? What version of DirectX? Any other programs running in the background while running FS2k2?Max Cowgill

Guest SD Sim

Hi Josh,Based on your previous post, I gather that you don't have any problems with CPU overheating, and have tried new Via drivers (?). That then makes it sound more like a hardware problem. You might want to try Sisoft Sandra, a great tool for diagnosing system problems. Click here to visit their site. BTW - no problems here with Ti4600 and AMD XP1800+

Okay. . .VIA 4-1 drivers, no clue, whatever is on my mobo when I installed it over a year ago. (hit me now) Detonator drivers have ranged from 28.32 to the newest 29.xx (cant remember the last 2 digits) but it locks up either way. DirectX 8 (what came w/ XP).Josh

Guest PaulL01

>Hi Josh, >>Sounds like you are caught up in the not-so-well hidden >incompatibility issue between the Geforce video chipset and >the Athlon processor chip. When queried, the Geforce people >point out that on their box they recommend use with an Intel >processor. AMD says go discuss this with GeForce, it's not a >CPU problem. Guess who gets caught holding the bag, or in >this case, the very expensive video card?. >>If you can lay your hands, even temporarily, on another >video card, not GeForce, try substituting it and see if your >problems persist. My Geforce card is presently holding down >my stack of used printer paper, and my video card is the >"Rage" card. Lock up problems immediately disappeared on >replacing the video card. >>Charlie You are dreaming Charlie, no such problem exsist!What a bunch of Crapola!!! "When queried, the Geforce people point out that on their box they recommend use with an Intel processor" What is this supposed to mean? I believe you left out "compatable" which the AMD is, or do you think that a company like Nvidia got together with AMD and envested millions into a platform/chipset (Nforce) that would make use of these two "Incompatable" chips? If there was ever an issue, dont you think Nvidia would be the first to know? wouldn't they have chosen to first use an Intel chip if "that" where the case?Be careful my friend, there is a lot of crap to read out there, if and when you step in it, make sure to wipe it off before you enter in here, please. :)As far as the problem, always check out the MotherBoard manufacturer web site and forums for clues as thats is where many of the problems can be tracked down.As far as "Geforce people" goes, Nvidia have a policy of offering no support for their cards as they are made by 3rd parties and you would be asked to go to them, so again I would say your info comes from a source with a bad odor! :-lolTake Care,

Guest PaulL01

So then you probably didn't try swaping your ram around, or checking your temps, or swapfile settings but then you still want what?Why not reply to your original post and the suggestions made there instead of reposting, do you want a certain answer. like OK, tell the wife you just need a new PC......wait a minute,... your using us arent you??? :-lol :-lol :-lol