Sign in to follow this  
Guest LSangiovanni LIML

How do i Fill these two entries in FMC?

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Hi friends,can anyone please tell me how do i fill CostIndex and Reserve data; supposing for example that my flight needs 14000 lbs of fuel and i want to load 5000 more lbs?Thanks in advanceLuigi ;-)

Guest Ray CYYZ

Cost Index is probably one of the most advanced things there is.A "very" simple explanation: It is a trade off ratio between speed vs economy.A value of 0 means maximum speed, who cares about fuel economy.A value of 100 (or 1000 not sure on the NG) means set speed to BEST fuel economy values.They will adjust your N1 rates accordingly (not sure if this is modelled).Reserves is simply the amount of extra fuel you want to be holding for emegency measures, ETOPS operation, holds, etc. It is used for fuel predictions, it does not imply that setting it gives you that much extra fuel onboard. It just tells the FMC how much of the actual fuel loaded should be considered not used for your flight plan.Ray

Guest mpauli

Hi RayGood "short" explanation! As I know the max economy value is 100 I think...BTW:COST INDEX IS NOT SIMULATED YET!If you select either 0 or 100 it will give you the same N1 settings and the same fuel flow!Fly safeMartin---------------------Martin Paulimartin@paulifamily.chhttp://www.period.com/airlines/swissair.jpg!!!FOREVER!!!

Guest ilh

I think that might be backwards. At least on a 767, higher cost indices yield higher speeds, and lower indices better economy.Lee Hetherington (KBED)

Guest Ray CYYZ

You might have me there, I can't remember which way was better or worse ;)Ray

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Ray,thanks a lot for the clear explanation.Think i need one more little help: during DF734 days i remember that filling most of FMC pages i could have V1-Vr-V2 automatically filled; now i tried in 737NG but probably i miss something and those three data do not show at all :-(Am i wrong or those speed should auto fill once te other data are inserted?Thanks in advanceLuigi ;-)

The "Cheat" is to simply press the LSK to the right of each V field. In real life the pilot fill these in manually(?).

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

>The "Cheat" is to simply press the LSK to the right of each V>field. In real life the pilot fill these in manually(?).Yes, i remember also in DF734 it worked once Flaps, OAT, etc. set ....but now on NG737 it doesn't work :-(Do i miss anything? Can you please help?take careLuigi ;-)

Well, assuming that you have entered all the requierd parts such as the route, weights, flap settings etc (there should be no entry fields with square boxes left), the only thing that comes to mind is that you may be overweight. If you load the default plane it is too heavy. If you change the fuel load in FS you should see a overweight warning if this is the case. If so, reduce the fuel load and see what happens. I

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Yes, you had it backwards.:-)The cost index represents a relationship between fuel-related costs and time-related costs. A cost index of zero means that fuel-related costs are the only costs that matter. If cost index were implemented in the PMDG 737NG FMC, a cost index of zero would give you maximum range cruise speed. As you increase the cost index, the speeds would increase, since you are telling the FMC that time-related costs are of relative greater importance.Don S.

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

SAS,it's your name? ;-) now i can remember the day before yesterday this trick worked also on my FMC; so it's urely my fault. Now i'm ging for some investigation....thanksLuigi ;-)

Lol, no my name is Tord and I hope you

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Guest Ian_Riddell

"In real life the pilot fill these in manually(?)."It depends on the FMC options chosen by the airline, Tord ;-)On some NG's, the recommended (calculated) value appears in small font to the left of the (empty) V Speed slots. If you push the (right hand side) line select key (as you do in PMDG), it puts the small values into the right places (in large font).Hope this helps.Cheers.Ian.

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Tord,on my last flight DTTA Tunis to LFPG all went just fine and V1-Vr-V2 were there. I really do not know what i missed last time.One more question: can you please explain how can i center the small plane in MFD-PLAN page? It seems it can only keep departure apt in its center and the small white plane, fortunately, flies away.......Thanks Luigi ;-)