Sign in to follow this  
Azapata87

textures taking forever to load

hi, Ive been having trouble with aircraft textures that take forever to load... like when I switch to the Vc in the 737 it takes like 2-5 seconds to load the textures, if I switch to the external view it sometimes takes upward of 5 seconds, while the other fs2004 textures (ground textures, sky, clouds, buildings, are always loaded). What I mean by the aircraft and vc txtures taking forever to load is all the textures look grey for a while then finally load up one by one. I dont know what the problem is I have plenty of memory as you can see from my specs below. My system is deffinetly not a monster by any means but upwards of 5 seconds to load the aircraft tectures and such seems like a bit much. I look at the task manager while fs is running and fs2004 is taking up 400-450mb at most with the pmdg 737 loaded up with usually about 100-110 memory left and Windows using 616mb of pagefile. Shouldent it be using all my fast memory before resorting to the page file? Seems like Windows is more than happy to use the pagefile before the memory is out. I think Windows is using the page file and making my textures load slowly since its using the harddrive as memory... maybe windows is taking up too much memory for itself or my Windows 2000 install is not tweaked for gaming. AndrewPS. Actually Im having conflicting reports... cacheman shows 100mb free right now with 27mb in the page file... but dxdiag shows 616mb of page file used... hmmmm

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hello,I think what might be important here(someone correct me if I'm wrong) is the amount of ram on your video card, and, that is a fairly old video card if I'm not mistaken. How much ram does it have on it? Is the card an AGP 2x card? or AGP 4x? What is your AGP Aperture setting in your BIOS? Older cards that have less ram on them should be given a larger aperture size than newer cards that already have plenty of memory onboard. If it's 64 MB you could try turning it up to 128 and see if that helps. With 768 MB's of system ram, I'm not too sure if I'd suggest trying to turn the aperture size up to 256 if it's already at 128, but you could always try it and see what happens. Turn it back down if that setting starts allocating to much of your system ram memory for graphics. Even I get a little bit of a delay with a card that has 128 MB's of ram on it. I really think maybe you should get a newer card if you can. At least a 9500, if not better. Just a suggestion.Regards,Jim Richards

I would say. "Something to keep in mind is; you can't run a state-of-the-art a/c and expect to keep the sliders all to the right"Just my two kronors worht

Guest Ray CYYZ

Agreed Matt, I only have a 64 Meg GeForce 3 so I don't even bother with beyond the 2D panel version.Virtual Cockpits are pretty much reserved for those with P4 3.2 GHz & 256 Meg video cards. I can fly without the $4,000 VC just as well ;)Ray

hi,Actually I turned off the cabin since I dont use it at all and left the 2d panel and vc and the load times are much improved.. also put my aperture up to 128 since my video card is pretty old and only has 64mb of ram and it seemed to have helped a lot. Thanks :-)Andrew

Guest OneTinSoldier

:)