Sign in to follow this  
Guest RangerJack

Where do I start

Guest ba747heavy

>One more thing,>>Fred says to empty the center tank, or rather set it to 0 in>the tutorial. I keep getting an INSUFFICIENT FUEL message in>the FMC when I do (which makes sense). So I end up leaving>50% in the center tank. Am I missing something? Fred?Are you using the -600? Because the fuel levels I indicated were only for the -700 Winglet variant. Other than that, I cannot fathom why you would be getting an insufcient fuel message. :(

Guest Ray CYYZ

>1. For further practice, does anyone have a shorter route>than Fred's tutorial? I am not up to speed with creating a>route although I do understand what a SID/STARS is now. >However, what resources would I need to start creating routes>like Fred did where you don't have to punch in every waypoint?> Do I have to get the approach charts to know all these>SID/STARS? I see in the forum talk about FSBuild, do you>recommend this product?I'll see if I can slap together something shorter for you. FSBuild is handy in that respect for real flights, but not short flights. Charts and/or addon programs get you your SID/STAR info, but due to everyone wanting to make a buck, they are rarely free.>2. What does a plane do on a real short route? Say LA to Las>Vegas, or LAX to KSAN? Do they even use SID's and STARS?It depends on the area and how congested it is. They are basically used to ease the workload on ATC as they can hand out a SID or STAR and not have to micromanage the aircraft. Keep in mind that it is rather cost ineffective to fly heavies short distances, but since we don't pay for the fuel, we can cheat.>3. What would I do in case of a missed approach? I take it>from the approach chart it is dependant on the airport, but>how would you use the FMC to get back in the approach? Or>would you use the FMC at all for this?MA currently are not implemented fully. In the real bird, you would have your MA path entered in the FMC after the runway. Anthony posted a pic showing he's got it done, expect it in the next patch. Each runway will have it's own published MA. You would kick it in by hitting you (G)o (A)round button (this is the same as your (T)ake(O)ff button. (again back to charts)>4. Where are the flightplans I create saved? And how do I>"load" saved plans?When you save them, it will be saved out from the FMC as ###. You can load it back by typing in that exact name on the FMC Company Route line (just under where you enter the Origin. They are physically located in the ..PMDGFLIGHTPLANS directory.Ray

Guest RangerJack

Thanks again Ray. Yes I am addicted and I feel like I am learning a lot and have a long way to go...why do I get like this? :)Mike

Guest RangerJack

Fred,First, thank you for your work on this tutorial. It has been great instruction and has already provided hours of enjoyment. It is guys like you that make this worthwhile.The first time I used the tutorial I used the winglet version and got the same message, but I could have done something wrong as it was the first. The second time I did the tutorial, I did in fact use a 700/no winglets. So that was probably the case. I will run through it again today with the 700/winglets as you intended and report back.Thanks again Fred.Mike "Ranger" Stinchfield

Guest ba747heavy

Mike,Another thing to watch is where the fuel message appears. Does it appear on the ground? During the climb out? If it only appears on the ground and the climbout, then you are probably OK, as long as the message doesn't pop up during cruise.And, before I forget, your welcome for the tutorial! Its comments like yours (and others in this thread) that make writing them worthwhile :-hah

Guest PhilipManwaring

>>1. For further practice, does anyone have a shorter route>than Fred's tutorial? I am not up to speed with creating a>route although I do understand what a SID/STARS is now. >However, what resources would I need to start creating routes>like Fred did where you don't have to punch in every waypoint?> Do I have to get the approach charts to know all these>SID/STARS? I see in the forum talk about FSBuild, do you>recommend this product?>Mike,For a short and scenic practice flight, you might try KLAX to KLAS. This route takes about 50 minutes to fly, depending on traffic conditions. Set up the route as follows:Original: KLAXDest: KLASDeparture: DAG.LAXX3 (or whatever the latest LAXX number is).Arrival: DAG.CLARR1 (or the latest CLARR in the navdata). You'll need to select an arrival runway. Since you'll be using the ILS, you'll need one of the westbound runways - it shouldn't matter which one, but the left one would be more commonly used. Give yourself about a 15nm runway extension - too long of an extension will put you into the mountainside. Clear any route discontinuities and you're good to go. I suggest flight level 250 for this short trip. You'll notice that the SIDs and STARs are used on this short flight, but that the termination point of the SID is also the starting point of the STAR. This often happens on short hops.Advanced addons like this open up a whole new world of learning. Hope this helps - enjoy!Philip Manwaring

Guest RangerJack

Philip,Thanks! I'll try that out as soon as I get a break. I might post some questions though since I am not exactly sure how to "give myself a runway extension" or for that matter, what that means :(But I will attempt it first!Thanks again,MikeBTW any advice on what flight planner I should purchase as I learn this stuff?

Guest ba747heavy

>BTW any advice on what flight planner I should purchase as I>learn this stuff?FSBuild 2.0 would be my first choice, with FSNav a close second :)

Guest RangerJack

Fred,Thanks for the advice. Am I right in that FS9 is still not supported with FSBuild 2.0? If that is the case, is it still useful as a reference for FS9 SID/STARS and commonly used routes? Or, should I just wait until they get it squared away? As Always, thanks much.Mike

>Thanks for the advice. Am I right in that FS9 is still not >supported with FSBuild 2.0?There's really not that much to support. The only support needed for FS9 is the new location of the default .pln files.That is taken cared of in the 2.1 update.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

Guest RangerJack

Gents,I have to say it took a while for FSBuild to save my export settings, I did the same routine 5-6 times before exporting finally worked. Anyway, that part is working now for FS2002 and my PSS Dash-8.Does anyone know how...1. Export to the 737NG format and where to put the file for the FMC? (.rte right?)2. Export to FS9 or is there a workaround? Do the same .pln files for FS2002 work in FS9?3. And I must admit this is an early question as I have not read through all the docs, but if I want to do VOR to VOR flight, is there somewhere that says the vector to stay on to approach each VOR? (disregard this question if I am not making sense, I will figure it out eventuallyAs always, thanksMike

Guest Ray CYYZ

If you just want to VOR hop, just enter the vors as your legs. I doubt there is a VOR on the planet without a fixname.As far as the .rte files, just as you put the sid/star files in the SIDSTARS directory, you'll see a FLIGHTPLANS directory.The .pln files are not the same, they are MSFS format. There is a converter in the files library here that coverts .pln -> .rteI am not sure if FSBuild will spit out native .rte files as I don't use it, but someone else can comment on Ernie's great work.It might actually be advantagous to have both the .pln & .rte files for the same plan, so MS knows where PMDG is going ;)Ray