Sign in to follow this  
Guest PaulL01

Athlon XP Overclocking Results (Continuation)

Guest Max Cowgill

Hello all, I've finally been able to resume my adventures in overclocking, after determining that my RAM speed was set too high. Previously, I had been running my PC2700 RAM @ 166MHz (PC2700) and was unable to overclock any higher than 139MHz FSB/172MHz RAM even at the most conservative RAM settings. I decided to clock the RAM synchronously with the FSB, and the results are spectacular! 151MHz FSB with the most aggressive settings possible (2-2-2-5, 4-way Bank Interleave, 8QW Burst Length, 1T Command enabled). However, anything over 151MHz results in nothing being displayed on my monitor, which leads me to believe that my video card has reached its limits. I ran Sisoft Sandra 2002 benchmarks, and the results are as follows. Note: all tests run 5 times in succession to eliminate anomalies.CPU Arithmetic Benchmark:Dhrystone ALU MIPS: High: 4595Median: 4580Low: 4550Whetstone FPU MFLOPS:High: 2302Median: 2301Low: 2301CPU Multimedia Benchmark:Integer MMX/SSE iterations/sec:High: 9113Median: 9112Low: 9111Floating Point SSE iterations/sec:High: 10504Median: 10449Low: 10447Memory Bandwidth Benchmark:Int MMX/SSE MB/sec:High: 2271Median: 2268Low: 2259Float MMX/SSE MB/sec:High: 2091Median: 2086Low: 2081Impressive, no? ;) All this was achieved on the system described in my signature w/an AGOGA core AXP 1700+ running a Thermaltake Volcano 6Cu HSF (7+ wasn't in stock) and Antec silver thermal paste (no, not Artic Silver). I'll run 3dmark2k1SE in a short while, going to tweak some BIOS settings a bit more and see if I can squeeze any more out of this puppy.Max Cowgill

Guest Max Cowgill

Update: I enabled the "Ultra" setting for "SDRAM Fast Command" and Mem bandwidth scores went up but about 30-50 MB/S for Int and went up by 60MB/S for Float. Also ran 3dmark2k1SE but only got a 3803 score due to my plain-jane 64MB GF2 GTS and the fact that it's running stock core/mem speeds. Oh well, I should have an R300 or NV30 in my system within the next 3 months or so ;)Max Cowgill

Guest PaulL01

>Update: I enabled the "Ultra" setting for "SDRAM Fast >Command" and Mem bandwidth scores went up but about 30-50 >MB/S for Int and went up by 60MB/S for Float. Also ran >3dmark2k1SE but only got a 3803 score due to my plain-jane >64MB GF2 GTS and the fact that it's running stock core/mem >speeds. Oh well, I should have an R300 or NV30 in my system >within the next 3 months or so ;) >>Max CowgillGlad to see you back and having fun Max!!! :)Have seen the latest on T-bred O/C?Crazy guys are getting 2.4Mhz on new XP2200's unlocked (L3) and on pelters!!! :-lolHey!!! Keep that fire bottles ready! :)

Guest Max Cowgill

I'm glad to not be running @ stock settings again too, Paul. Overclocking is so addictive :) BTW, I hope no one is running their AXPs at 2.4MHz, that's a pretty sad "overclock" ;)On a side note: how are you liking the 4.40 4-in-1's? I'm thinking of trying them out (and am fully aware of the installation procedures for the flawed drivers) but I'm not having any problems with the 4.37's so I'll probably just stick with these for awhile.Max Cowgill

Guest PaulL01

Max,>I'm glad to not be running @ stock settings again too, Paul. > Overclocking is so addictive :) BTW, I hope no one is >running their AXPs at 2.4MHz, that's a pretty sad >"overclock" ;)Yeah yeah yeah, :-roll :) Gig Man! 2.4Gigs! :) >On a side note: how are you liking the 4.40 4-in-1's? 4.40's are just an official version of the leaked 4.39 beta which has a pretty good rep on the latest boards and some good AGP results but most I have heard is with XP setups but alas! I will remain on win98 untill either the SP for XP or the AMD-Barton is out. I cant realy say one way or the other as 440 are close to (not the same) as the 4.39s that was using for the last month or so and my before and after results are mixed with a dose of new ram (XMS3000) But I can say that I dont have ANY instability problems operating at peak O/C so that is a good sign! :)>I'm >thinking of trying them out (and am fully aware of the >installation procedures for the flawed drivers) but I'm not >having any problems with the 4.37's so I'll probably just >stick with these for awhile. Thats good reasoning Max, :)Take Care,

Hi guys,Very interesting topic this. Mind if I join in? I need some advice. I've just purchased a new base system which comprises of :AMD Athlon XP 2000+ CPU (@1.667GHz)Elite K7S5A Motherboard 266Mhz FSB (I think)512mb DDR ramLeadtek Geforce 4 Mx420 @ AGP4XIBM 5400rpm 40GB HDDWinxp ProDet. 29.42 driversAnd when running 3DMark2001 I get only 3969 marks. Yet I've seen people with similar systems and even lesser systems getting 9000+marks. How is this? What is holding me back? Even with the GF4MX I should be getting higher. Any ideas Paul? (Also how do I find out the speed of my ddr ram?)What do you think?Eoin.

Hey Eoin,I have the same MB as you and have no clue as to what my benchmark scores are. :) (Maybe I don't want to know) :-lolI'm running an XP1700 and 640mb sdram on win98 with a Gainward GF2 TI 64 overclocked to 250/520.The difference between this and my old system (PIII 600) can not be described with words :-eek (let's just say I had no idea it could look that good). All I know (and the only number that is important to me) is that I have my FPS in FS2K locked at 20, and it stays there just about everywhere I fly, except for some really detailed add-on airports I have (then it only drops to 15-17, which is still pretty fluid).I'm running 3 monitors with a stock 300 PS and stock (retail) HSF. Of course I have the case off and a small desk fan blowing inside. After hours of use, I have never seen the temp go about 40c, so I'm pretty happy so far.One thing you can check (if you did not install and setup the board yourself) is the default speeds. Mine (I think) were setup to 100/100. I changed mine to 133/133 and the difference was significant. Here is a website you can go to and get some bios utils to hack the speeds to overclock this board. http://www.amdmb.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=24I haven't tried to play with this board yet, as I'm too happy with the way it performing right now.Good luck,Steve Dra

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Hi PaulL01,few questions regarding your system and setting.>XP2300 (AGOIA) 10x185 FSB=1850 Alpha PAL8045 HTS quiet 80x80mm 50cfm >fan>Epox-8K3A DDR333 (4in1 ver.-4.40) >512MB Corsair XMSPC3000 DDR @370Mhz CL2 >GF3TI200 O/C 235/470 >DET 23.11 DX8.1 Win98SE>Antec PLUS1080 Truepower-430W>D3D settings: MMap=LOD-0.1 Anisotropic= 32tap Vsync=off FW=off >SBA=off AGP set@128mb >3Dmark2001SE score=9159 tested@ 1024x768x32 What is the original model of your AthlonXP? 1500+? No stability problem with O/C at that level??Same question to your video card. I use a video card with the same chip, GF3TI200. Believe that original clock is 175/200DDR. To run at your level, did you apply any additional cooling method (changing fan etc.) to your video card?Thank you for information.Yuki

Guest Sabadin

"And when running 3DMark2001 I get only 3969 marks. Yet I've seen people with similar systems and even lesser systems getting 9000+marks. How is this? What is holding me back? Even with the GF4MX I should be getting higher."Sorry to break it to ya but the GF4mx is what's holding you back, since 3DMark is mostly DirectX 8.1 tests. The mx version isnt fully dx 8.1 compliant and lacks the pixel and vertex shaders of the GF3/4 Ti series. Essentially it's a GF2 on steroids :/

Guest PaulL01

Hi Yuki,>What is the original model of your AthlonXP? 1500+? No >stability problem with O/C at that level?? Originaly it was an XP2000 1.67 Ghz.A good case with good case cooling, A good CPU cooler using the usual techniques like polishing the base(wet sanded up to 12000grit (yes 12 thousand on a flat machined surface) and using a Artic Silver III thermal paste along with memory that is designed for those speeds as well as a great mother board for the task, all add up for a good setup. :)>Same question to your video card. I use a video card with >the same chip, GF3TI200. Believe that original clock is >175/200DDR. To run at your level, did you apply any >additional cooling method (changing fan etc.) to your video >card? I used to run a 60m fan on the face and the original I remounted on the back, but after I went with this case, I went for quite cooling and am running the card with just the original fan but have a slot exaust fan directly underneath, I can go 5-10% higher than I am but would get the occasional Texture tearring and found that was very distracting so I backed off and the display is solid as well as the whole system is as stable as a rock unless the room gets above 85-90F or so, its 90 outside right now but in here its about 78 (Air) and she's been running for days. Take care,

Guest PaulL01

>Sorry to break it to ya but the GF4mx is what's holding you >back, since 3DMark is mostly DirectX 8.1 tests. The mx >version isnt fully dx 8.1 compliant and lacks the pixel and >vertex shaders of the GF3/4 Ti series. Essentially it's a >GF2 on steroids :/You seem to be mistaken, the updated version of 3Dmark2001SE is mostly DX7-8 with just one Benchmark adding the DX8.1 advanced pixel shadder test. But yes the MX card is holding him back as you say.

Guest PaulL01

Start searching the web for "performance" or "settings" a long with your MB info and you will start to find info related to what you use as I am not familiar enough with your board to be of much help, sorry.

Hey Paul,As I've just put together a new test rig for FS I thought I'd share a few observations :)Specs:Ath XP2100 (PAL8045 with a YS-TECH 80mm fan)Epox 8K3ACorsair 512mb DDR XMS3000 CAS2Gainward GEF4ti4600 Golden SampleWD 80GB SEPlexcombo 20/10/40-12ASB AudigyCoolercase StormPartitioned it four ways and slapped on XP Pro with the 29.42 dets. With nothing touched 3D2001 SE score was 10780. MBM reported case temp of 28C and CPU hovering between 32/33.What did strike me was the darn racket all those fans made! As the machine is located in the same room as this one which is used during the work day, this gave me cause for concern.Rebooted and changed the RAM setting to turbo, left the fsb alone. 3D score went to 11252.At this point the noise was really starting to get to me so I disconnected the two case fans but keeping an obvious eye on the temps. Case temp rose to 30C with CPU between 47 and 48 at idle. Just completed a 2 1/2hr 767PIC flight where the case touched 31 and the CPU peaked at 53.From what I've read these aren't temperatures to be too concerned about but they are well above figures for other peoples setups. Unlike you, ambient air temp is something we don't have to worry about too often in the UK ;)The question is, do I remain content and leave it as it is (kinda criminal I know with that RAM) or do I risk deafness and crank the mother up! :-boom

Guest PaulL01

Hi Dean,I appreciate your observations as I have the same feeling about the noise, I don't care if I can run it at X speed if the noise intrudes so much, That