Sign in to follow this  
Guest LSangiovanni LIML

How do i engage/operate TOGA?

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Hi friends,can anyone experienced explain in simple words how can i engage TOGA and how do i operate a take off?Never been able to take off that way and i'd like to learn with this outstanding bird!Thanks in advance for helpingLuigi ;-)

Guest Ray_CYYZ

(a) Turn on Flight Director on MCP(:( Arm Auto-Throttle on MCP© Stabilize thrust approx 40% N1(d) Push to 70-80% N1(e) Press TOGA button(f) Check TOGA mode displayed in PFD(g) If not, back to (a) & (:( cause you forgot one of them!Thats about as complex as it gets ;)Ray

Guest BrunoF

The one you would get it once you sucefully programmed the FMC in the TAKEOFF Page 1/2.Best,Bruno Francescoli.

Guest cboyes

In case you are wondering Luigi, the TOGA button is the top-left screw on the MCP. Strange, but true.

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Thanks a lot friends for helping out.As i supposed...not so simple :-( i'll give it a go.Luigi ;-)

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Hi Ray,did a short test following your suggestions.Now what should I expect? Maybe the FD cross should center on PFD? It didn't happen in that case and my plane stalled. Also, when should I increase IAS in MCP? TOGA mode was displayed in PFD.Thank you Luigi ;-)

Guest LLgaz

>>In case you are wondering Luigi, the TOGA button is the top-left screw on the MCP. Strange, but true800/900 models.Anthony

Guest Ray CYYZ

"At least I'm hoping to get it in the correct spot in the 800/900 models."You are kidding right? That would be a nightmare to be rolling down a runway at 80% N1 then trying to pull up another panel just to click a button. Imagine an Abort or a Go Around!Ray

Well I am not Ray but to answer your question, no. The FD bars will move to 15 degrees up at 60 knots but this is not a rotation command, after TO once your rate of climb increases the FD bars will command V2 + 20 knots. Let's make this as simple as possible. Set 3000' on the MCP. This will be your flaps retraction altitude for this training flight ;). AT 800' AGL engage a CMD, this will engage LVL CH (Pitch Mode) and HDG SEL (Roll Mode) and will climb to 3000 and engage ALT HOLD. At this point set 200 knots in the IAS window. Retract the flaps. Now reset the MCP ALT to your desired CRZ ALT and engage LVL CH. Set the IAS/MACH window to 250 until passing 10000', after you can then put something like 290-300, at flight level 260 the window will display in MACH. Don't take this as set in stone, there are in reality different operating procedures for airlines, this is to give you a helping hand in the learning process. Some things are fundamental and others are more liberal (flight sim is very libral hehe)... [h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/196432/winglets_lg.jpg [h3] AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF2 MX 32 MEG and still runs GOOD!|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"[/h3]

Ray,Good comment. Thats exactly why it is placed there. Mainly not for TO operation but for ease when simulating an aborted take off (RIGHT click of screw). As we all know a successful TO is in fact an aborted aborted-TO...Cheers,VangelisPS. I am just curious as to what a model designer would have to come up with (a) to put it where it really is as demadned above and mainly (:( how a simmer would have access to it. Under the throttle lever handle (no, not a button on the pedestal regrettably)...===================================== E. M. Vaos Precision Manuals Development Group www.precisionmanuals.com=====================================

====================================

E M V

Precision Manuals Development Group

====================================

Vangelis, I agree 100% with the reasons why, there is NO way to put the TOGA buttons where they really go! Although we want realism, some things like this are NO different than PIC 767's PANEL where it has the gauges not in their right postions (panel layout is off too), no biggie to those who understand why seeing that there are limitations in view and function, I wonder if these guys think that pushing a button that pops up the FMC goes against the realism lol...... [h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/196432/winglets_lg.jpg [h3] AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF2 MX 32 MEG and still runs GOOD!|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"[/h3]

Guest Ian_Riddell

"Let's make this as simple as possible. Set 3000' on the MCP."Assuming your airfield is below 3000' ;-) Let's confuse this a bit, Randy (for the experts).... Things like Flap Retraction/Accel height and Thrust Reduction Height is based on "height above airfield", not MCP Altitude. Unless your airfield is at Sea-Level, MCP altitude won't be the same as your flap retraction height (If it was at Sea-Level, I'd be setting the runway condition to "WET" :-lol). At the other end of the scale, setting 3000' in your MCP is not going to do you any good if you're taking off from Denver or La Paz ;-)Hope this clarifies the issue.Cheers.Ian.

Guest Ian_Riddell

Perhaps you could put the TOGA clickable spot a little closer to where the TOGA button is on the real aircraft, say, on the lower edge of the PMDG EICAS screen?I'd be interested to know whether real pilots actually look at the throttles when they're pressing the TOGA switch, for both TO and GA. If they don't, then it's not important where the "magic screw" is. If on the other hand, they do have to visually confirm they are pushing the TOGA button, then, for the sake of matching ergonomics, it would be good to have a button lower down in the PMDG cockpit.If we are comparing PIC with PMDG (as Randy is doing), PIC has it easier than PMDG in the fact that the "TO" button is actually on the (real) MCP.Cheers.Ian.

Guest Ray CYYZ

Just to confuse it further ...You may engage a roll mode after 400' AFE (LNAV or HDG SEL).You may engage a pitch mode below 1000' AFE (VNAV or FL CH).1000' is also going to be your first step of flap retractions 10 -> 5, 5 -> 1, 1 -> up etc.Ray