Sign in to follow this  
Guest LSangiovanni LIML

How do i engage/operate TOGA?

Guest Ray CYYZ

Yea, but that is kind of the humor eh Ian? Seen any TO/GA buttons on MCPs in any aircraft you have ever worked on?We have people who complain that the unreal button is unreal because it is not in the other guys unreal position on the unreal panel :-lolRay

Guest Ian_Riddell

"Yea, but that is kind of the humor eh Ian? Seen any TO/GA buttons on MCPs in any aircraft you have ever worked on?"No humor, Ray (at least not this time ;-))...On the 767, the TO button is the "N1/EPR" button. On takeoff, it does exactly the same thing as the throttle-mounted TOGA button(s) on aircraft like the 737NG or the 747-400 does/do. The button(s) on the throttles on a 767 is ONLY a GA button, not a TO button.... at least on all the 767's I've worked on.Cheers.Ian.

1000' is also going to be your first step of flap retractions 10 -> 5, 5 -> 1, 1 -> up etc. Ah that's not always the case Ray, have you forgot about Noise Reduction Procedures? What about KSNA? If we are gonna get technical ;) [h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/196432/winglets_lg.jpg [h3] AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF2 MX 32 MEG and still runs GOOD!|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"[/h3]

Guest cboyes

RayActually I wasn't complaining about the position of the TOGA button. I think its a very good idea to have it on the main panel - obviously a very convenient place to have it. My 'strange but true' comment was tongue in cheek but I'm pleased it created a bit of interest.You would have to admit though that the current position of the TOGA button isn't very obvious to a first time user of the aircraft. Wouldn't it be better to have a label next to it, wherever on the main panel that it was located? In this case the loss of 'realism' wouldn't bother me at all. Its a bit like the 'MZA...' menu - a really good idea even though I'm pretty sure you wont see this on a real 737.

Guest LLgaz

WOW,Didin't mean to create such a stir.Hey.....leave the "screw" where it is. No Problem.....AnthonyPS: Forgive me, but I couldn't resist this:The DreamFleet 737 (that "other" plane) had the TOGA button on the pedestal and it wasn't any problem to bring up that window to hit it.

Guest Ray CYYZ

Thats kinda the point, on a Takeoff you have all the time in the world to find a button.On a Go Around, the world is rather time compressed and taking a hand off the throttle is not really a good idea, perhaps one day, PMDG will be able to figure out a way to be able to map it to a key so we can assign it to a button on our controllers. ;)Having done one of those at CYYZ when someone busted through a hold onto our landing runway I can only imagine having to find a button instead of having it right by your finger. I doubt I would be here debating it if it had been on the MCP :-lolRay

Guest Ray CYYZ

:-lolWhen my machine gets to where SimCity 12000 is running around the FS 2080 airport, I'll care deeply about offending them with noise ;)I always get a kick out of the noise abatement laws. Perfectly ok for the police to fly their helecopers at 1000 feet over residential areas at 2am in the morning yet people complain about noise at an airport? :-lolRay

OK i don't understand half of the explanations (sorry I'm a FMC newbie!) Could somebody tell me exacly how to do this again? I set all the correct settings in the FMC and just hit the screw and the airplane will take off by itself?-Alex

No, there are no aircraft that takeoff by themselfs, you must do that part ;)... [h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/196432/winglets_lg.jpg [h3] AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF2 MX 32 MEG and still runs GOOD!|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"[/h3]

Guest Ray_CYYZ

Alex,It is completely up to the Pilot as to whether or not to take off or abort the take off based on conditions during the roll. This is the point in time where things can go seriously wrong.Basically, the Captain's (Pilot Flying) job is keeping the aircraft in a takeoff configuration and flying the plane.The First Officer's (Pilot Not Flying) job is to monitor systems and assist the PF so he may keep his focus dedicated to the task at hand.There are specific procedures for various failures that happen. V1 is generally your GO point, no matter what goes wrong beyond this point, it is considered safer to get airborne and sort it out instead of trying to stop the plane.Vr is the point where the PF starts rotating the nose of the plane upwards in a smooth controlled rate. Pitch too much and you get a tail strike as the plane's tail smacks into the runway.V2 is the airspeed at which the plane will leave the ground and be considered flyable.V2+20 is the speed that you will maintain during the initial climbout (the Flight Director (FD)) will give you pitch instructions for this speed.Following this, the various Vflap settings come into play as one increases speed and raises the flaps. (220 is your goal speed here as I understand the 737)All this part of the flight should really be hand flown although you can obviously slap various auto control modes on at specific heights if you want.Hope that helps you understand your job during a takeoff.Anyone else care to add to this or throw in some corrections, feel free...Ray

Guest Ian_Riddell

"No aircraft can takeoff by itself."I guess you didn't read the thread on PPRuNe yesterday, Bruno ;-)