Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pittsburgh

Hold at present position

Guest Pittsburgh

Hi All, Noticed to day when ATC asked me to perform at holding pattern at present position that this was not possible like it is with the 767PIC. Is that because it is not possible in the real aircraft or is it an unimplemented issue? With thanks in advance :-waveBoaz

Guest ba747heavy

It is possible. Unfortunetly I do not remember exactly where/how, so I am just giving this topic a little bump :)

Hummm, Simple my friends, bring up the HOLD page, you will see PPOS PROMT, click it ;)[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/196432/winglets_lg.jpg [h3] AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF2 MX 32 MEG and still runs GOOD!|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"[/h3]

Guest ba747heavy

>> Hummm,>> Simple my friends, bring up the HOLD page, you will see PPOS>PROMT, click it ;)It is always something easy, isn't it ;-)

Guest Pittsburgh

Hi Randy, I don't unfortunately see it that simple. When I press hold, I get prompted by "HOLD AT" and the 5 boxes to enter which waypoint to hold at. However, unlike PIC, there is no way to select PPOS. Or am I missing something fundamental? With thanks in advance... :-waveBoaz

Guest BrunoF

Boaz,As far as I know you can't hold at PPOS with PMDG 737. What you may do is create a fix and hold, not a good option though.Bruno Francescoli.

I have used this function MANY TIMES on this aircraft, I just reinstalled windows so need to stick FS2002 back in. Unless PMDG took it out, I KNOW it was there. Do you have an active route? [h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/196432/winglets_lg.jpg [h3] AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF2 MX 32 MEG and still runs GOOD!|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"[/h3]

Guest PittsburghII

Hi Randy, I must then assume that PMDG has taken the PPOS away from the FMC. When flying along an active route and wanting to hold at present position, I press the HOLD button. This makes the FMC prompt me to enter which waypoint to hold at in LSK6L. I will never, to the best of my knowledge, get to the HOLD PAGE before I have chosen a waypoint to hold at. I know that 767PIC presents an option to choose PPOS in LSK6R. I am at work now and cannot produce a screen shot now (how is that done, by the way: I have tried to press Alt+PrtScr, Ctrl+PrtScr, PrtScr but to no avail). I saw that someone suggested to make a new waypoint via the FIX page, but I cannot remember seing any options to do that in the FIX page.With thanks in advance :-waveBoaz Lev

Guest Ian_Riddell

"I must then assume that PMDG has taken the PPOS away from the FMC."Nope, just checked in my copy (SU1.1), and it's still there, Boaz. I'm running FS2002 by the way.LSK 6R shows "PPOS}". When I push it, the MOD ROUTE HOLD page appears and the EXEC light illuminates.It's not dependent on aircraft type is it? (-600/-700/-700 winglets, etc)Cheers.Ian.

Guest PittsburghII

Hi Ian, I am also using FS2K2 and SU1.1 (I assume that as I have the vertical path deviation indicator which wasn't present in SU1). However, I am flying the -600. Have not tried with the -700 although I doubt that that could have any influence (could be wrong here).Thanks,Boaz

It's working for me in both 600 and 700, I'm in FS2004 though.The hold pattern is drawn wrong (but that's a known issue I think) but the A/C flies the racetrack correctly-and I timed it, too...Best,Martijn

Guest Pittsburgh

Someone please slap me on the forehead and call me stupid! One cardinal point for this to work is to have LNAV engaged x( God, do I feel ashamed now *:-* Thanks for your inputs though :-)With kind regards, Boaz

As a pilot in the stages of doing my instrument rating practical and nearly done with the required theory, I have never heard of the requirement to "hold present position". Usually a pilot needs a "fix" to hold at, which could be a VOR, intersection, etc. While an aircraft with an FMC like this one, could possibly "hold at current position", a more simple aircraft like I fly would need a fix to navigate to/from in the hold. And I don't think that the instrument theory and regs are any different for heavies vs. light a/c. I don't know how I could ever "hold at current position" with any accuracy in the C172, and holding patterns and their entry are precision manouvers. ATC is basically putting you somewhere where they can forget about you for a while, but they would need to know precisely where you are, requiring precision navigating and flying.Maybe Rob could tell us more on this, or any other IR pilots. Bruce.

Guest neil_c

Hi Bruce,In the UK I have been told to remain clear of controlled airspace whilst on an IFR flight plan. An example would be when approaching a class A airway to join from uncontrolled class G airspace. I'd need to get an airways clearance and if I didn't get it before reaching the airway then I'd have to fly a holding pattern using whatever navaids are available. Of course, I would have prepared this in preflight just in case! Since such holds are not published, the accuracy of flying the hold isn't too important providing I remain clear of controlled airspace and above MSA.This very thing happened to me on my JAA IR test.I also have an FAA IR and I trained in Florida for this. The above situation never occured to me there since the different airspace structure meant I was always in class E airspace above 1200ft agl and I always got "cleared as filed" from ATC before departure. Nice and easy! :)

Hi Neil,Thanks for the info. I have also been asked to remain clear of Class D airspace, but not to actually "hold"- since the controller is responsible for the Class Delta he doesn't care what I do as long as I remain out of his airspace (a SVFR clearance typically involves this instruction if someone else is already in the Delta airspace).I've almost completed my written study, and found references to holding only at fixes, for that very reason that you say- you can't be 100% sure that you're holding exactly where the controller thinks you are, and he/she's put you there to forget about you for a while.Thanks,Bruce.