Sign in to follow this  
Mac_Paint

Quickie Framerate increase

Found this tip over on the MSFS forum. for FS9, go into your Autogen folder and change the name of the file, bgl to something like donotusebgl.bak. Start FS and see if you get a framerate increase. I went from 12 to 17 at KSAE looking at the Terminal in spot view.Worth a try for thoes having FR problems.

Guest wkzzo

I beleive the file name is default.XML , you can change it to default.XML.bak. It actually does help stabilize framerate's.

Of course. Thanks, Wallace. Old age is a ...:-xxrotflmao

Guest technobie

Holy Framerate batman! On my low-end system, I noticed an increase of 8-10fps around large airports (now flying at SEATAC at 14-16 fps w/AI). WoW!!!!!!!! Thanks a lot! Probably one of the best tips to increase FR's on a low end system.IBM MPRO Intellistation 933, 512mb, and a 32mb ATI 7000 <--- woohoo! (I do have a 9500 128mb card in my other machine).

As the other forum post mentions, it removes the newer types of autogen like the fast food shops, power substations, and other various new buildings. If you're XML fluent, you could probably go in and edit the file to your likeing - removing the chicken and burger stands and keeping in the farm silos and substations, etc. etc...-Germ

Guest Ray CYYZ

Pete, followed your advice but now I have been waiting 22 hours for my pizza to get here, apparently there are no pizza places left in the country so they had to fly one in for me :-lolRay

Ray,you didn't download Vin's latest patch that enables the galley's oven? I've been cooking my own pizza's but now I'm waiting for Vin to patch the toilets!:-xxrotflmao

Guest Ray CYYZ

Hmm, better check with Vangelis about the impacts to the flight model when you flush :-lolAnd all these years, we've kept people fooled into believing contrails are natural eh?Ray

Guest JL

This is my first post to this forum. I purchased the PMDG 737NG about a month ago. I'm a VFR pilot (inactive now) with limited IFR knowledge and experience. Before I bought the 737NG, I had no clue what a SID or STAR was (and am still not 100% sure...). I have enjoyed all the posts (well, most) and have learned a lot from them. Thank you all.Now, enough about me. I'm posting in this thread because I think this renaming default.xml thing appears to be a huge find. I haven't done enough testing, but initially, my impressions are it makes a big difference in FPS and allows you much more room to move those beloved sliders to the right.I have only tested with the DF C152 buzzing KSEA with the VC, but the difference was absolutely jaw dropping. I'm expecting similar results with the PMDG 737NG... but the jury is out. I'm curious if these positive results happen for most people, or just those of us with certain hardware configurations or what. I probably should have waited until I tested this with the 737NG before posting, but I'm just too thrilled about this find... besides I just wanted to say 'hi' and 'see you around'.System: P4 2.2, 512MB RAM, FX5600 Ultra-JOE

Guest Ray CYYZ

It got me enough to go to 4xAA and still be moving at 8 fps. Prior to that, 4xAA was funny as it took 2-3 seconds PER slide :-lolNow, I know my system is borderline but hey, 8 FPS is STILL smooth enough to tour around at and I kick it off and jump up to 20 without it so I'm happy enough to stall until then next PMDG 800/900 comes along and kills me with the added features ;)Ray