Sign in to follow this  

737 NG FRAME RATE FRIENDLY

Hello there,SOME CONSIDERATIONS:====================First of all, I considered many times to ask for a refund on the 737NG, PMDG released a product in beta stage for costumers, I don't know the exactly reasons, but I think I has to be a good one.(commercial strategies, maybe?)BUT with service pack 1, the product is getting closer to what I expected to my USD 40. And their commercial support is doing great since the release also, I think it have chances to become a "must have". :)MY QUESTION - FPS - 2D PANEL VIEW=================================Is PMDG working on the FPS issue? There are plans for updates to improve general FPS on the panel views?Thats because I get about half the FPS I get with other add-ons with PMDGs 737NG. I have a Athlon 1.8 XP, 512MB RAM and a GF TI 4200 video card, a fast system!I mean, with any other add-ons i get about 35 / 50 FPS, but with PMDG, I get only 18 in the 2D panel view !!!ASP===And about the Audio Selector Panel, is a simple thing to do, and is present on the virtual cockpit, but in the 2D its missing, currently there is no real way to open/close audios to identify navaids or marker beacons, other than the key commands. :)2D PANEL REDABILITY - LESS ANTI-ALIAS ON MAIN VIEW==================================================Other short question is on the redability of the 2D panel on the "M" main view. Its hard to read the displays even with high resolutions and a 17' monitor, isn't that a case of reducing the anti-alias of the DU's?TO FINISH=========Well, thats it, with and improved FPS in the 2D panel I would be REALLY more satisfied with the product. I know there are other major issues to work on, but I had to mension that. I can't spend fortunes with system upgrades, but I expected a more FPS friendly product, with a more optimized core code. :)Eduardo Tonetto Beckeretonetto@yahoo.com.br

I'm looking forward to hear about other users and PMDG about this issues.

Guest Daniel Pimentel

It's not about optimized core code... Have you seen the syntax for writing a flight plan? That's some work. PMDG has already fixed the FPS issue, but you can't expect this plane to run like a default plane... It's way more poly-intensive and system-intensive. :)DP

Yep, I don't think you will see any changes core wise for the displays, I get great frame rates, just have to mess with FS settings to find what works good for you. Radio panel is something more simple. If you have trouble seeing with the M panel use the Z panel. Great to have so many choices eh?[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/196432/winglets_lg.jpg [h3] AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF2 MX 32 MEG and still runs GOOD!|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"[/h3]

Guest Ian_Riddell

"And about the Audio Selector Panel, is a simple thing to do,..."I think the point of the PMDG sim is to strive for realism, Eduardo... It's a small thing to add a Audio Selector Panel graphic to a sim... but a much harder thing to make it behave realistically. PMDG not only have to interface the panel with MFSF, they also have to make it interface with the 737NG's electrical system. For example, if your Right Electrical Bus is dead, will you still hear your #2 Nav Radio on a real 737NG? (I don't know, offhand, but it may be the case). If the PMDG team modelled an Audio Selector Panel, would they then have to model cockpit speakers with functioning volume controls?Then there is the problem of creating panels which look different in different lighting conditions.All this takes time and a lot of effort. However, if you're looking for a "quick fix", I recall that someone has already figured out how to add a default MSFS Audio Selector Panel to the PMDG panel.Cheers.Ian.

Guest cboyes

EduardoYou mean 18 FPS isn't enough? I also have a GF TI4200 card and I get about that as well (with 512 MB and a 1.2GHz P4). I find I can live with it, in fact I don't notice it much. I guess its what you become used to. There is always the option of upgrading your h/w. I find I have to do this after every new release of FS anyway (haven't bought FS9 yet for this very reason).

Hello there,About the PMDG x ADD-ONS========================I'm comparing the PMDG with other add-ons like DFs 737 and the PSS Airbus. Obviously the comparison between default planes and complex add-ons would not be reasonable.Even the NG been a complex plane, I still get about half the frame rates I get with other also complex add-ons. Why does that happen?I would really appreciate to find a way to get more FPS from these NG plane.Main Panel x Zoom=================I would like to use the "M" panel cause it has all the switches in the visual field range, I mean, I would like to fly in a 2D view that allow me to fly the plane (PFD and ND displays in view and readable) and still have in view the A/P, A/T, spoiler and other caution lights that desappear under the "Z" panel.Well, i really thanks for the attention guys, but I still fell the NG is to heavy for the system, in comparison to other complex add-ons. I don't know if somebody also noted these difference in FPS?Tonetto

About the Audio Selector Panel,I really don't see it as a complex issue. Beside the graphical part of the panel, the main issue is to link it to the electrical system as you said. And that kind of logical is quite simple, the information about what would you loss in all the cases are covered by the operations and the maintenance manuals.:)And that's why I can't understand why it hasn't been implemented yet, it's a simple think to do, but makes the difference when you have to jump do other aircraft to open/close audios or use keyboard shortcuts.:)

It all depends upon what you want and how you set things up.I will give you my example;-Athlon 1.3 (old system),G Force 2 Pro 32mb. 512 mg. 133 sdram,Asus A7V motherboard ,21" monitor.I set up to give the best for the aircraft not the scenery so -Texures quality -highTex.mesh complexity - 88terrain texure size -highautogen - sparsescenery complexity -sparsemax. visibility -60 milesno shadowsaircraft textures -highres. -1280 x1024 x16 This on FS 2002This gives me a frame rate of 18 most of the time and a perfect aircraft.I do not have ant-aliasing on,it it effects my frame ratebut the quality of the graphics is still very good because of the highresolution (this doesn't seem to effect the frame rate very much).My system will not give me everything but I am much too busy with the FMC etc. to be looking out of the window!David Pedder