Sign in to follow this  
Guest JonP01

Transform and Lighting...

Hi there.This is something which Ive heard about before but didnt really pay much attention to it but then I tried it this morning and it made quite a big difference.I was checking this morning what a performance hog my USB Adsl modem was and this is what I had.Default Meigs....All sliders on Max...apart from visibility being on 100 miles. ATC on 100 percent apart from IFR Traffic only ticked.I got 15.6 frames per second..thats on the front view without dashboard and mini panel also. That was with my modem attached.WIthout my modem, after rebooting and shutting down zone alarm etc it jumped upto 21.4 frames per second..now thats quite a difference....but then I did something else.I went to the display setting and unchecked T&L ..and my framerate stayed the same....I thought hmmm thats odd as my card has hardware T&L...my frame rate should have gone down...so I went back straight away and turned it back on.....It went upto 28.7 frames per second....I then turned it off again and it went back to 21.4 ish.So all I can think of is that there is a bug in the T&L switch so when you start up FS2002 it thinks its off even though the config file says its on so you have to turn it off then on manually. So try it for yourselves..before doing a flight turn it off then turn it back on and see if your frames go up. This might only work for cards with hardware T&L though like the Geforce cards and some radeons I think. But you geforce 4 mx users...try it out and see if that makes your reflections appear, it might be just that problem all along..Who knows.Craig

Guest JonP01

Interesting observation, but I get the opposite result. When I turn on T&L, the frame rate goes down and by quite a lot....hmmm

That is interesting thoughOH just read another post of yours and youve got a geforce 3 too.Anyway to try it again Ive just gone into Fs2002.This time my modem is hooked up so the frames will be lower anyway.Ok ..startup defaults again...as before Ive got around 15.6 frames gone in and took off T&L.....still 15.6 ...gone and turned it back on and it jumped upto around 22 frames..so something is going on.Whilst Im writing this post Im going to go and do it again but the other way around. Im going to turn off T&L then exit Fs2002 then go back into it. Am doing this whilst typing this post.Heres the results, hmm very interestingFrames were at 22 when I went in, this was with T&L turned off and then I switched it on and it stayed the same rate, I then turned it off again and the frames went down to 15.6 ish again. ...Something weird is definitely happening with that T&L setting.BTW my machine specs areAthlon XP 2100 with 512 megs DDR memory and Geforce 3 card etc, not TI just vanilla first release.Windows XP homePhew think thats it.Craig

Guest JonP01

It could just have something to do with our respective sim settings. I tend to sacrifice scenery and weather complexity, etc to keep the frame rates more consistent. Also your CPU is more than a generation ahead of my PIII. Not sure why the results should really differ though. Still, I always use this trick, but it was primarily to solve the texture bleedthrough problems on runways, etc. Also, CFS2 has the exact same problem and the exact same solution! Perhaps the way the FS game engine is written, the GPU needs to actually start rendering a 3D scene before you can "set" the T&L on. I suggest this because if you turn T&L off then on before you actually commence a flight, it doesn't solve the problem. I also tried it in CFS2 with the same result - you have to have started a flight before you can turn it off and on.