Sign in to follow this  
FTD1949

Upgrade advice

Actually Max; www.newegg.com is where I buy all my computer stuff. It has the best pricing on the web, bar none. Most of the time that is. Delivery in two days too. The XP2200 is currently the fastest AMD. It's roughly equivalent to the PIV 2.2gig 533mhz from what I've read. So is the price. Or does the 2200 beat the 2.2 533 by a wide margin?? You are absolutely right about the PIV2.53 533mhz. That one is priced way high at this time cause it's the fastest. You can overclock any of the PIVs if you want. But, currently; the fastest PIV beats the fastest AMD if you think a couple frames per second are that important and worth the considerable extra money. I don't. My point is there's a wide variety of processors. You can get an equivalent PIV for about the same price as an equivalent AMD any day of the week. Just shop around. All depends on which one you want. Price isn't really a big factor anymore. Doesn't the XP2100 run at around 1.8gig and the XP2200 run around 2.2gig?? Well, in that case, the Pentiums are just as cheap as the AMDs. Let's compare retail box to retail box. The money difference isn't worth the argument. The PIVs can be overclocked if that little bit of difference is that important to the user. It all depends on which one you prefer. They're both good processors. I just happen to think that the Pentiums are less hassle than the AMDs. So, that's just my opinion.

Wow....take a Prozac will you? I like Intel, you like AMD. End of discussion. But discussing it doesn't require flames and personal insults.I'm outta here....way overdue I might add.Mike Stone

Guest Max Cowgill

>Wow....take a Prozac will you? I like Intel, you like AMD. >End of discussion. But discussing it doesn't require flames >and personal insults. >>I'm outta here....way overdue I might add. eh, flaming and personal insults? I didn't realize that disagreeing with someone emphatically *WITHOUT* using profanity or resorting to name-calling constituted "flaming and personal insults" :-rollBTW, I've already explained my position on the whole AMD vs. Intel thing, I don't "like AMD/not like Intel", I buy what's best for me at the time. Up until a few short weeks ago I hadn't used an AMD processor in several years so you could hardly call me an "AMD fan." I'm only responding to yours and MGD's messages because no one else appears to care to offer the p.o.v. on the other side of the fence. Max Cowgill

Nah, Max ain't being rude. You'll know when he gets rude, Trust me. hehehe. He's just passionate about the whole Pentium/AMD thing. If we were bragging up the AMDs, he'd be defending the Pentiums.

Guest Max Cowgill

>Actually Max; www.newegg.com is where I buy all my computer >stuff. It has the best pricing on the web, bar none. Most >of the time that is. Delivery in two days too. The XP2200 >is currently the fastest AMD. It's roughly equivalent to >the PIV 2.2gig 533mhz from what I've read. So is the price. >Or does the 2200 beat the 2.2 533 by a wide margin?? You are >absolutely right about the PIV2.53 533mhz. That one is >priced way high at this time cause it's the fastest. You >can overclock any of the PIVs if you want. >>But, currently; the fastest PIV beats the fastest AMD if you >think a couple frames per second are that important and >worth the considerable extra money. I don't. My point is >there's a wide variety of processors. You can get an >equivalent PIV for about the same price as an equivalent AMD >any day of the week. Just shop around. All depends on which >one you want. Price isn't really a big factor anymore. Firstly, this isn't about where *you* buy your PC components or which online retailer is the best, that's irrelevant. This is about pricing of AMD CPUs vs. Intel CPUs, regardless of who is doing the selling. AMD prices their CPUs lower than Intel does. That's not my opinion, that's fact. Go look for the *official* pricing from both companies and you'll see that AMD's prices are lower than Intel's.>Doesn't the XP2100 run at around 1.8gig and the XP2200 run >around 2.2gig?? Well, in that case, the Pentiums are just >as cheap as the AMDs. Let's compare retail box to retail >box. The money difference isn't worth the argument. The PIVs >can be overclocked if that little bit of difference is that >important to the user. It all depends on which one you >prefer. They're both good processors. I just happen to >think that the Pentiums are less hassle than the AMDs. So, >that's just my opinion. Might want to do a bit of research on that one ;) the XP2100+ runs at 1.73GHz while the XP2200+ runs at 1.8GHz. If you'd done the math from my previous post in the comparison of the XP2200+ vs. the P4 2.2GHz (where I said there's a 400MHz difference between the two) the speed of the XP2200+ part would be apparent. BTW, I am comparing retail box prices to retail box prices. Go to pricewatch.com or find the official pricing from either company. As far as speed comparisons go, I'm not touching those with a ten-foot pole (not unless I can get my hands on a P4 to do some first-hand testing). I go by what I've read in reviews and white papers until I can get firsthand experience with both CPUs "in-house."Max Cowgill

Guest Max Cowgill

>Nah, Max ain't being rude. You'll know when he gets rude, >Trust me. hehehe. He's just passionate about the whole >Pentium/AMD thing. If we were bragging up the AMDs, he'd be >defending the Pentiums. Hey, you've got me pegged MGD :) I just want to keep people informed, is all. Max Cowgill