Sign in to follow this  
Guest 737pilot

Place the TO/GA switch where it should be

Guest 737pilot

While the PMDG Boeing 737NG is as close to perfect as any add-on aircraft might come, it is extremely lame that the TO/GA switch is a small black screw in the MCP. In real life that screw would surely not activate anything, but it is chosen as the TO/GA switch!! It took me very long time to find it. I had never guessed that it would be one of the panel screws!PMDG, you always tell us how this and that is realism, but how can you defend that small black screw? Do you plan on applying more functions to the other panel screws?In the Flight1 Dreamfleet 737-400, the TO/GA switch is located at the throttle quadrant. Shouldn't it be there? Why has the TO/GA switch not been put the right place from the start?Nico

Guest Bud

Nico,I was so taken with the concept of making the screws functional, I used one as an icon to call up a pushback panel. I'm now trying to find uses for some of the other screws!!Bud

Guest 737pilot

I can understand that in an emergency you would choose to use the panel screws as special non-realistic switches for specific simulation purposes.But to assign a panel screw the function of the TO/GA switch, instead of putting a TO/GA switch the same place where it belongs in real life, does not make sense.The PMDG 737NG is supposed to be striving to be as realistic as it can become for an add-on airplane in a flight simulator.Therefore I hope it will be reloacted in a future service update, or I will have to learn to modify the panel myself and release a TO/GA bug fix.Nico

Guest LLgaz

I tried to bring up this topic here, even mentioning the fact that the much hated DF737 had it in the correct place with no problems, and I got beaten up.Someone even said that if we are ok with using a button to pop-up the FMC, then we should be ok with using a screw as the TOGA button.I for one would still like to see it placed in the correct spot.

There is a slight problem here though Nico,The TO/GA switch on the real NG is located on the front of the throttle levers not visible from our angle of view. Would you like to have a non visible click spot? ;-) The TO/GA button on the DF is way inaccurate as well considering this... There are other spots like this too. There are A/T disconnect buttons on the side of the throttle lever knobs. It's hard, if not impossible, in FS to make movable click spots.So I think PMDG is doing a good job making the NG "as realistic as it can become" as you put it yourself, with the above mentioned limitations.Just my

Guest Bud

Nico,If you feel that strongly about it, it is fairly easy to modify the panel using, say the FS Panel Studio program. You could then put your TO/GA button where you want it. Won't be authentic tho'Bud

Maybe it needs to be brought to your attention Nico that there are limitations involved in a desktop simualtor. Realism can't be used in this situation because the TOGA is located in frontof the throttles levers. Putting them there would mean not seeing them. Are you suggesting that PMDG place them on the throttle quadrant? This too would not be correct, not to mention the fact that one would then need to have the throttle quadrant open on TO and landings. I am a realism nut, I think everyone who knows me knows this this but I also understand the give and take involved here. IMO you should map the TOGO function to a yoke or joystick because how much realism in there involved in using a mouse to engage the TOGA? [h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/196432/winglets_lg.jpg

Hi Nico,I understand your concern with "realism", however I personnally prefer some compromises for practicallity. For example, I like to have the TOGA swith on the main panel so I don't have to open a new window (panel) to get a switch. In real life I have my finger on it or the FO is ready to activate it on my command, but this is a computer "game" with a 15 to 21" srceen.Another example, something I really liked about the PIC767 was the light switches on the main panel.Sometimes designers focus so much on exact replica (due to demand)that they neglect functionality. I hate having to open a bunch of panels to start the engines. It takes away the realism that so many people ask for. I am a real life professional pilot and I have my own priorities when it comes to panels, planes and scenery that are different from many users that I read on the forums.I respect your opinion but I felt the need to express mine.I hope you enjoy the PMDG 737 as much as I do.Danny

Guest 737pilot

Let me say that I have never been inside a Boeing 737 cockpit; I have only been looking into it when boarding the aircraft as a passenger in real life, while the cockpit door has been open.When I finally found that the TO/GA switch was a panel screw, I just thought, "Now what is this? Why?"I agree with all of you, that it is better than opening up a new window in order to operate that switch. But again - Couldn't you then explain it in a readme file or somewhere more visible, so that we don't have to look through the whole AOM before we find out about this detail? Because it is not obvious at all.Thanks for your replies and comments. I appreciate it.Nico

Guest ntsmith

I for one would accept the DF737 as a better trade off with real life than the screw. My beef here is that while everyone is talking "unrealistic screws" we still have the very serious problem of inconsistent fuel feed problems which surely needs urgent looking at. I am fed up with looking here every day to see if it has been cured. - Or perhaps that is the objective :)

As already has been mentioned, the fuel issue (s) are being delt with in the up-coming SU2 patch, that's one reason why there is a anchored post on top asking for everyone's input. Just because it's not being activly discussed right now does not mean behind the scenes things are not getting worked out. Does that answer your concerns? [h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/196432/winglets_lg.jpg

Guest ba747heavy

>> The manuals are in the works, yes it should have been>released so people would not have to preform magic to locate>it ;)Well, I am sure that the TO/GA switch has been covered many times in the forums, so much so that a simple search of the forums would have alliviated any curiosity about where the switch was located :)

Guest LLgaz

>>>IMO you should map the TOGO function to a yoke or joystick because how much realism in there involved in using a mouse to engage the TOGA? <<

Well hate to say it but you will be waiting till the cows come home for this one! Although you will have keyboard bindings for the 737 they will NOT contain anything for a joystick or Yoke, for this advanced feature you must purchase FSUIPC...[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/196432/winglets_lg.jpg