Sign in to follow this  
Guest Safenor

Bigger birds?

Guest Safenor

Hey allThx for a awsome aircraft, I love the 737. Allthough It took me some flight to learn to handle the bird (especially the FMC).I fly regualr on Scandinavian Vitrual Airlines, and would love a bigger aircraft to vary with. Like the 767 or 777.I had the PIC 767 which I also loved, but it's unusable in FS2004, so I'm wondering if you have any plans to release a bigger bird?If not, any suggestions to other "as real as it get" big birds? (Not Airbus, cause I just can't handle that plain.. lol)Thx

Guest ba747heavy

I don't think the team has any solid plans right now for anything beyond the NG. The next 2 releases will take up most of there thought, thats for sure ;)

Guest peteh

Other birds, bigger or smaller? Oh, I hope not. Not for a good while.I have lost count of the number of FS addon planes I've bought that arrive, full of good and sometimes innovative functions but lacking just a few teensy features, like having only half an FMC, or lunatic flight dynamics, or just a few bugs; and then the team releases maybe if we're lucky one patch; and the next thing that we hear they're doing is... another plane! Which, when it in turn appears, is also full of good things, but also lacking a few teensy features, and so on it goes. It's like they constantly need new thrills, or maybe they just lack 'stickability'. They build the shell of the house but install only half the plumbing, and then simply rush off to do another one. Well me, I just won't buy any more of their houses.I have lived with software development long enough not to expect a finished, final, bugfree product at Release 1. Why did we all love the PIC 767 so much? In part it was because Eric, Wade, Laurent and Co. stuck at it over years, and got to... what was it, Version 7? It was by then a finished piece of work, polished, smooth, accurate.I am full of admiration for the PMDG team who have not only produced a remarkable plane in its initial release, but have already significantly improved it in SU1, and currently have us drooling over the upcoming SU2. They give every intention of sticking with it (with their -800 etc plans). Roll on SU7 in 2005, I say! (And no, I don't mind if I have to pay for the updates.)There is so much to learn and to enjoy about this plane and this product. The last thing I want is a PMDG announcement that the team is now 'moving on' to do a 767 or, heaven help me, another flaky A320.End of rant.- Pete

Pete,well, i know in all bad details what you are talking about, but in my very opinion you are comparing apples with oranges here.PMDG did a fantastic job so far on the 737 as we all aware and i am sure their quality-level is close or as high as the one from PIC767-team. To assume they would rush out a halfmade plane with hardly one update (like other companies do we all know!) is a sort of discouraging predjudice i cannot support.I instead would be very happy if PMDG would announce, based on the things they learned with their 737NG, another plane like a 767 or 777.just my 2 cents and no rant whatsoever meant. (What the hell does rant mean, my dictionary tells me nothing about that word....)CheersHolger DallmeyerEDDK

Guest LLgaz

Well, if you wait for a little while, you'll get a 767 for FS2004 from the same PIC team that is being praised which promises to rival EVERYTHING that has been produced for FS so far. Note the word "Promises" because although that's the only group of guys whose product I would blindly purchase on its first minute of release, one can never tell what's in the future.But the future promises to be good.

Guest peteh

Holger,"Rant: speak or shout at length in a wild, impassioned way" (New Oxford Dictionary of English).Sir, I suspect you're mis-reading me, maybe because I mis-wrote (while ranting). I'm actually trying to say just the opposite of the 'discouraging prejudice' you accuse me of.I think the PMDG team have done a magnificent job. All the evidence points at them being committed to quality and to the long haul as far as the 737 is concerned. I was trying to suggest that this was also the way that the 767 PIC team worked, and the results of both efforts show in dedicated, appreciative, almost fanatical customers. But the 737 is not yet (quite) at the 767PIC stage, and we'd all - wouldn't we? - like it to go beyond that. And therefore what would horrify me is if, at this point, PMDG were to announce that they had plans to move on to a 767 or A320 development because with their limited resources the 737 follow-on would inevitably suffer.That horrid idea - "any plans to release a bigger bird?" - is what the original message in this thread asked about, and my rant was a way of waving my arms and saying why I hope that PMDG have no such plans. I hope they stick for a good while with improving the 737 so as to make it, what it nearly is and what it can surely become, the finest FS-based commercial jet ever.- Pete

Guest peteh

Holger, no problem!Regards - Pete