Sign in to follow this  
Guest 737pilot

How to Avoid Drifting Away from Runway on Flare?

Guest B1900 Mech

I would shoot my self if I had to run at that resolution! Serously, What kind of cross winds did you have? There are limitations on auto land. Jim

Guest ba747heavy

>I would shoot my self if I had to run at that resolution!>Serously, What kind of cross winds did you have? There are>limitations on auto land. JimJim, looking at his ND, I am not seeing any wind, so I don't think wind was a factor. However, I don't know if the ND shows winds that close to the ground, so I could be spouting useless info ;)

Guest 737pilot

The poor picture quality is due to the fact that AVSim has set a limit of 125 KB of each attachment. Therefore I had to JPG compress the screenshot with 60% to meet this requirement.It would be better to set a limit of 3 x 200 KB attachments instead of 5 x 125 KB. Otherwise it is impossible to make a proper screenshot of a 1024x768x32 cockpit.Nico

Hi Nico,I don't know what graphics program you're using, but even with the default MS Paint (part of Windows) you can get much better results. Paste your screenshot into the program, then save as .bmp. Then adjust the size to 800x600, and only then convert to .jpg. Basically, the idea is to do all manipulations in bitmap format and only save the final result as JPG.Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Guest 737pilot

Thanks for the tip. I will try that next time.Kind regards,Nico

Guest m131167

Hello AllI had some recent experience with Cross wind LDG. Flew a local mission (EKAH-EKCH) last friday with live Wx (as reported by EKKA Wx station via the FS9 live Wx interface). Just called the local met office and they confirmed winddata at that time was 260/18G32 (which must be what have been inserted into the FS9 Wx system). Landing at RWY 22L at EKCH with that wind I did hands on (no A/P) with A/T however. (think its the technique that most carriers and Boeing endorses???)Now comes the But! I applied the correct technique (or so I think ;-)) by aligning the nose with the runway hdg and lowering the right wing into the wind when the GPWS called 50. However this resulted in the plane drifting downwind almost off the RWY! I found the only way to control my horizontal LDG position on the RWY was to maitain the crabangle until the wheels were on ground and you could steer from there.I know after a lot of experimenting that in FS2K2 you couldn't apply this technique no matter what the airplane was. However in FS9 apparently a different logic as to how planes handle in uncoordinated flight has been applied and now at least for the default Baron it is possible to land with the above mentioned CW LDG technique. So it seems that FS9 makes it possible to adopt a more realistic LDG procedure.Any comments? Especially from the PMDG people - Am I totally wrong here since I know you guys have to "cut some corners" in the flight modelling to get the A/P to interact properly with the flight model. If so I am totally cool with this... rather a proper functioning A/P and then I will live with the "unrealistic" CW LDG technique.Michael ChristiansenKarup - Denmark (mc.kar@mail.tdcadsl.dk)p.s. sorry for my lengthy input but apparently I cant be brief and thankx to the guy from PMDG for an exellent product.p.p.s. Another matter is the inertia of the plane when its skidding above the runway. Its seemed that the inertia was very big with a delayed response of...say 3-4 seconds - measured from the time from a control input untill you see the result in the way the ground moves underneath you. Since I have no experience in flying something so big it might be right - however anticipation is required (This plane calls for good sportmanship..lol)

Michael,I've had the exactly same experience. I've found it best to start kicking the rudder as low as 20feet AGL! And even then the plane drifts a bit... I've also found it funny that you can land with wheels at any angle and still the main gear wont break down. Yes I know, it's the FS limitations. :)

Michael,I've had the exactly same experience. I've found it best to start kicking the rudder as low as 20feet AGL! And even then the plane drifts a bit... I've also found it funny that you can land with wheels at any angle and still the main gear wont break down. Yes I know, it's the FS limitations. :)(Sorry about the two messages, don't know how to delete messages in this forum)

Guest m131167

Interesting...Can you remember what the crosswind component was when you tried this ? - or the winddata was at that time ? - because I found the plane to be laterally uncontrollable in the flare with the CW component that I mention above and applying the abovementioned technique. Thus the plane drifted right off the runway no matter what I did (except for doing the Crab - which by the way gives a very "unsexy" yawing motion after touchdown until you have hitched the right hdg - or maybe I dont have the "golden" hands to fly this thing...lol).AnywayI will test it later tonight albeit with a nongusting CW factor applied (thats one good thing about Flightsimming - the enviroment is easily controlled when testing :-)And you are right about the maingear - And think of the poor passengers who has to withstand our CW landings. I expect that the lateral accelerations in those crabbed landings would be quite unpleasent for then...so pls...wind straight down the RWY.Best regardsMichaelp.s. I work at a facility that maintains aircraft and at the moment we have a plane in the jig from a result of a poor CW landing. Its a highwing GA aircraft but from the maingear and back you can see that the skin has folded 3-4 times like an accordeon :-(

Guest DeMuth-Olsen

Nico, Never use JPG for taking snapshots. Jpg formats are mainly for photos, use .gif or .tiff; those will produce a clear image at a favorable size. As for your question: I noticed this problem with the yaw damper off. I stopped using the yaw damper on approach because it did not give me enough rudder authority. Though, I was able to correct the yaw problem using FSUIPC, but still don't use yaw damper. FSUIPC has the option to set NULL ZONES more accurately than FS. If you are a rudder pedal owner like me, it will solve most of your problems calibrating your controls to FSUIPC. Hope this helps.Regards,Chad C. DeMuth-OlsenPilothttp://home.bresnan.net/~atc01/Images/chad...1_signature.jpg