Sign in to follow this  
fspaan

Pitot Heat on 747

Hi allThe stated cruise speed for the 747-400 is in excess of 500Kts. Is this Indicated or ground speed? My plane was overstressed trying to reach this speed at FL350. As I connot find the Pitot heat switch (Does it have one?) I was wondering if this is the problem and I am going a lot faster that indicated.Also is there a TO mode for the Autothrottle hidden somewhere?ThanksMartyn Carr

Guest Martin

It's True Airspeed, TAS. In a zero-wind condition it will equal GS. So if you have a 50 knot headwind your GS will be TAS minus headwind (i.e. 500-50=450).IAS is the only airspeed you're concerned with as a pilot though, but only up to about FL290. Above that you use mach numbers. For the 747-400 I suggest climbing at the minimum clean (i.e. flaps up) speed below 10,000' (for a heavy 747 it will usually be around 280 knots IAS), and passing 10,000' accelerate to between 320 and 340 KIAS. Climb at the speed until it equals Mach .82, and then continue climb at M .82. When levelling off at the cruise level (for a heavy 747 no more than FL310, for a light one up to FL430), accelerate to M .85 to .86.Pitot heat is automatic (in the real plane, I don't know about the default FS2002 747, which is very unrealistic in most asspects anyway).There is a TO/GA switch on the thrust levers for setting takeoff or go-around thrust. (In FS the panel should have a switch like that somewhere.)Hope this helps. :-)Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

Yesterday I downloaded the CD-patch and tested the KLM aircraft. I set the pitch to 1500 and started climbing at 250knots to FL350. There was one thing I forgot to do: enable the de-ice buttons and the windows heating. At FL020 or so (surroundings of amsterdam) The aircraft started stalling and crashed during the spin.So, I believe the pitot heating is the same as the 4 de-ice buttons in the upperhead panel.BTW: does anybody know the forum post which describes the way to enable the upperhead view in your toggle views (so not using SHIFT-5)?Regards, Ferry

Guest Martin

OK, now we are talking about the PSS panel (just for the record :-)).>So, I believe the pitot heating is the same as the 4 de-ice >buttons in the upperhead panel. It isn't. Pitot heat is an electrical heater (I think) for the pitot tube, to prevent icing. It is automatic and is always turned on while the engines are running. (I think this is how it works at least, but I'm not 100% sure this is how the PSS panel handles it.)The engine antic-ice is turned on to prevent icing any time TAT is below +10

Hi fetish,thanks for your information.... sometimes simulation can cause confusion, can't it?Regards, Ferry