Sign in to follow this  
Guest 737pilot

Choose One of These Video Cards for PMDG and FS2004

Guest 737pilot

Hi all,I need to invest in a new video card for PMDG 737NG and Flight Simulator 2004. Which one of those two video cards would you choose?A: GeForce FX 5600, 256 MB RAMB: Radeon 9600 Pro, 128 MB RAMMy system is Windows XP on AMD Athlon XP 1800+, 512 MB RAM.Thanks in advance!Nico

Guest pyewacket

I have a fairly similar system to you:W2K Pro, Athlon XP2000, 768MB RAMand a Radeon 9600Pro, 128MBOn resolution 1024x768, most sliders near to right, I get 11-13fps going along runway in PMDG 737 at Seattle Tacoma International and 17-20fps whilst in the air (framerate locked on 20fps). Framerate in default 737 is 12-15 and 18-20 respectively.I think you'd be pleased with a Radeon card, though I cannot comment on the 5600.

I would still take the 5600 because it's a newer(developed)made card. ATI has Gold products from the 9700 PRO and up and would always advise ATI for those. Here though with the FX 5600 you actually get more bang for the buck and the 256 on card DDR is an attractive addition ;). Truthfully you might not notice between the 2 in FS though.... If I had the cash I would have me a ATI 9800PRO!!!![h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/196432/winglets_lg.jpg

running a ATI 9500 with very good results and the price was reasonable but this may depend on the fact that i never use a VC.I ever get framerates above 15-20 locked at 20.Sys SpecsAMD24001 Gig RAMATI 9500CheersHolger

Randy,I know you were asking John this, but I thought I would jump in with a quick answer.The difference between the 9600pro and the 9700/9800 is a narrower memory bus ( 128 instead of 256 ) and the clock speeds.ATI just released it's latest 9600 XT to replace the 9600pro. According to Tom's Hardware, with slight improvements.Paul ( SPIM )

Guest 737pilot

Thank you all for taking your time to comment on my little "quiz". You have been very helpful.Kind regards,Nico

TRUST me, if you are looking for the 5600 FX 256, don't go there. Spend some bucks and get the 5900 FX 256MB, it is ALOT more powerful, I'm trying to save money to buy it around Christmas.