Sign in to follow this  

pls. help me understand AutoGenius/LandClass

ok...tell me if i have this right...AutoGenius basically aligns the default AutoGen scenery. Houses and trees now line up correctly on streets and such. i know that LandClass changes the look of the land by assigning different/correct textures to the scenery.here's my question....if i purchase some of the payware LandCLass, should i remove the AutoGenius? will AutoGenius no longer line up correctly using addon LandClass? ...or is it worth it to just leave the AutoGenius files in? i've actually just installed AutoGenius the other day and have yet to really experience its benefits. i'm wondering if i should get the LandClass, or fly around with just AutoGenius for awhile.your help and knowledge is appreciated.chris

Guest Lobaeux4

I've got autogenius installed, and just purchased the Europe Landclass. It looks great, just takes a little to load. It looks blurry for a second then comes in sharp. I'd go for it, and leave autogenius installed.Lobaeux

Guest gasebah

Autogenius arranges the autogen buildings and trees on the texture. For every texture in FS2002 there is an agn file the "tells" FS2002 which types of 3d objects to use and where to put them on the texture. Autogenius has new and better agns that replace the default Microsoft agn files.LandClass tells FS2002 in which area it has to put which textures.The textures of course still have the coressponding agn files.U c that the two LandClass adn autogenius do not onterfere at all.A problem can only occur when you replace the original MS textures with other ones as autogenius was not made textures other than MS's in mind.Alex

Guest Heather 636

Being one who is always tinkering with my scenery, this sounds pretty good. Where do you get it?Heather

Autogenious is fabulous. In addition to what is mentioned above, it also increases the number of autogen objects; now it is a joy to fly low over the countryside, farms and fields get more houses and structures properly lined up, etc.You will find it here:http://digilander.iol.it/aliditalia/autogeniusengl.html Just be careful, things won't line up correctly with replacement textures. You need FS default textures to see it work.

Guest Heather 636

Rats!I think I am reaching a point where very little in my FS files are default any more.May take a look at it anyway.Thanks!Heather

Heather..Since you always tinker with your scenery, you also might want to try my freeware app, Landclass Assistant. I designed it for spot updates--fixing cities, areas near airports. I have a sample scenery for Mexico City which was created with Landclass Assistant in the file lib as well.... It has a larger learning curve than FSLandclass, but it really reduces the costs even if you want to tinker with FSLandclass scenery. As opposed to paying for the FSLandclass development packs, you can install bgl's generated by Landclass Assistant output in such a way that they overlay/update FSLandclass scenery.Also, to clarify, Autogenius will work with either FSLandclass and/or Landclass Assistant generated files. That's because neither program "replaces" textures. Instead, they "reassign" textures out of the existing FS2002 texture pool. -John

John...i wish i had the time to master your LC Assistant. with all the aircraft, scenery, landclass, AI, and real life i find myself tinkering more than flying sometimes. i've downloaded it and hope to learn it someday.dangit...i hate when real life gets in the way!thx everyonechris

Guest Heather 636

Thanks John for that input.I've had it downloaded but just haven't gotten to it yet. If I didn't constantly slap my hand every time i go to open up another utility, I'd be wrapped up in a dozen or more "projects" instead of just the six or so I'm in now. DEFINITELY have to look into it though.Cheers!HeatherOh yeah, went ahead and installed Autogenius and so far so good. In some places it looked like it removed some buildings whereas in others it added. Going to fly around with it some and see if i spot any conflicts. So far everything still looks good.

Naji, So, if I want to use Autogenius there will be a compatability problem with FSGenesis?Bob

None at all. There shouldn't be because FSGenesis improves on the elevation mesh, not the textures. In my previous post, when I said replacement textures, I meant those like Ruud Faber's and Lennart's excellent textures; unfortunately, Autogenious is designed to work with FS default textures and not with these.

In another thread I read somewhere, someone said that only 20% of Lennart's texture don't work well with Autogenious. Can anyone expound on that and tell us which ones they are? If we replace those with the default textures everything would be cool.