Sign in to follow this  
Guest EricL

Both engines shut down during 16x simulation rate

Guest EricL

Hi,Yesterday, I was flying Tim's tutorial. On the long legs, I accelerated the sim rate to 8x or 16x, and suddenly the 2 engines shut down. Auto pilot and auto-throttle disconnected, alarms rang all over the place. I quickly set the sim rate back to 1x. I started to loose alt and speed, but was able to restart engines at FL 280 approximately. I reactivated AP, LNAV/VNAV and the aircraft recovered. Unfortunately, I forgot to reactivate A/T, but didn't notice that because throttle on the Joystick was set to max. I had well remarked that the plane was flying too fast, but I didn't understand why. It's only at T/D that I understood, when I saw the engines would stay at 100%. I then switched A/T, entered the descent normally and finished the flight perfectly. Well, nearly perfectly, because I also forgot to put throttle to zero before touch down, so I had a hard time to stop (reverse would always deactivate immediately).That was my first flight with the 737, and I got all my passengers safe on the ground, after having offered them 2 real thrills for free. Am I not a nice captain?All this to say: would there be a problem in accelerated sim modes?Eric L.

Hi Eric,as far as i know, those advanced panels like PMDG and also competitor panels do not like accelerated sim-rates for some reason, so better stay on 1x.CheersHolger Dallmeyer/BAW277EDDK

Hi Eric,Most advanced add-ons have some sort of issue with accelerated time modes. As they heavily rely on "real time" calculations for FMC, A/P, A/T and so on. And this bird should not be needed to fly in accelerated mode as it is a short to medium haul aircraft. In my humble opinion, if you have bought this bird, or any other "real-to-life" add-on, you should not even consider using accelerated mode. It's not "as real as it gets" ;-)Cheers,

Guest EricL

Yes, I used to fly the PSS A320 and I already knew accelerated time mode often poses problems, but these problems are generally the inability of the AP to correctly follow a track or glideslope (they would typically overshoot). To avoid problems, I generally accelerate time only between waypoint, and always go back to 1x to pass the waypoint.I've never seen any problems with the engines shutting down yet, and I'm still not sure this was due to the time acceleration.Anyway, this is a great addon, very well done. I would rate it at least equal to PSS A320, and better in many areas (virtual cabin with wing views, beautiful antialiased gauges that makes them perfectly smooth, good choice of 2D cockpit views...). SU2 will definitly make it one of the best addon of the moment.Eric L.

While not recommended, I have found that I can get away with using 4x time acceleration if I do the following:-Reduce time to 1X just before the center fuel tank runs out of fuel. It seems that the automatic switchover from center to the wingtanks does not always happen unless you are flying in real time. (this could have been what happened to you) -Reduce time to 1X a few miles before hitting any nav points. At 4X, the FMC and LNAV may think it "missed" a nav point, even if you flew right over it. Do this even if the nav points require no turning whatsoever. If you do miss one, you can disengage the a/p and manually go back and hit the point.-Sometimes the autothrottle has a little trouble holding airspeed at acceleration as well. Again, reduce the sim to 1X to let everything catch up.Hope this helps. I wouldn't even touch anything over 4X acceleration. I usually only use acceleration between nav points over 50 miles or so.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest EricL

>-Reduce time to 1X just before the center fuel tank runs out>of fuel. It seems that the automatic switchover from center>to the wingtanks does not always happen unless you are flying>in real time. (this could have been what happened to you) That's very possible. In the tutorial, you start with 20% of center tank. I haven't verified how long that lasts though.On another point, how does the switchover works un RL? I think in the 747 (or 777?), it's just that the center pumps are stronger than the wing pumps, so they will naturally push fuel from this tank.>Hope this helps. I wouldn't even touch anything over 4X>acceleration. I usually only use acceleration between nav>points over 50 miles or so. Yes, same for me.Thanks,Eric L.