Sign in to follow this  
Guest Heather 636

Frustrated

Why is it that when I downdown and install planes, sometimes the planes are NOT complete. Either, the sound is wrong or the panels are wrong. It is very frustrating to go thru the download and install process and then have the plane not work like it should. I appreciate the effort that people go through to design and upload their work, but I think there should be some type of warning if the plane is not workable. It is very frustating.

They need your help!Remember that freeware developers are just like you and I, they cannot test for all eventualities, they do not have unlimited resources. Developing aircraft is a big task, if it does not work, instead of just getting frustrated and deleting the plane, or worse still complaining, send the author an email with a FULL description of the problem and your setup, they might not be able to help but you never know.If we all gave positive feedback, we will all see better results.And no I am not a developer, I wish I had the SKILL and time!

Guest Heather 636

Dear Frustrated,Let me guess, you're pretty new to this sim aren't you. No worries, so was I at one time; didn't have a clue as to what went where in these file folders.Lets take a look. I'll bet if you look into the folders of the planes you are frustrated with, you'll find what are called "alias" in either the panel.cfg file or the sound.cfg file, depending on what it is you're having trouble with.What is happening is that many designers upload their aircraft without the sound or panel to save a LOT of space. Gauges and sound wave files take a LOT of room. Adding those in could easily change a 2 meg download to 8 or more.Also, you may wind up downloading a lot of planes that use pretty much the same engine type. It takes a LOT less space on your harddrive to have just one set of sound wave files and have the other aircraft "alias" to them than to have the same sets of wave files redundantly repeated in every sound folder. Make sense?What they do instead is this:Open your "Panel" folder. If all you see is just one file that is titled panel.cfg, it is aliasing to another aircraft. For example with this airliner: [fltsim]alias=B737_400panelHun, if there's another panel in another plane that you would rather have, just replace the the B737_400 part (or whatever you're looking at) with the name of the folder of the plane whose panel you wish. It's that simple.The same thing goes for sound. Do the same, opening the Sound folder.If there's just a cfg file, then it too is aliased.You can then direct FS to look into another folder and use THAT sound just like you did the panel.I know it sounds confusing, it used to for me when I first started, but you'll get the hang of it in no time.Oh, and one other thing, be sure that you are only using FS2000/2002 downloads if you are using FS2002. I don't believe the old FS98 files will work, and who would want them anyway when their are so many fine files for FS2002.If you need sounds, take a look in the AVSIM library, all kinds of nice stuff. And be SURE to read the read_me files that come with these. More often than not they will tell you right where to put everything.Good luckCheers!Heather Sherman

Thanks folks, especially Heather. Yes,I am new to FS2002. Your explanations have cleared up alot of things. I will now work on getting my downloaded planes working. I appreciate your help. Thanks

Wow! That sure help me out alot! Thanks Heather! One other thing I would like to add, is that alot of the designers of planes assume that we all use the Pro version of FS2002, and that we have all the panels that goes along with the Pro version. I know that has happen to me more then once. Downloading planes just to find a blank cockpit isn't always fun, but with the help of people like Heather, it have become a lot easier to understand! Keep up the good work!Ricky

Guest Heather 636

You're more than welcome guys. I'm glad that I was able to help out. I remember when my brother first set this up for me and rattling off about what thingamabob went in the doohickey folder, but only if the watchamacallit . . . yeah, right!!I've logged a few hours since then and though I'm far from being a pro at this stuff, I've received a lot of help from this community and I'm glad when I can give some back.Another thing to keep in mind. You will probably download a lot of aircraft that will have panels or sounds that you don't like. Think about it. I recently repainted an aircraft, the DC-3 you see in my signature "Heather's Air Charter." I enjoyed doing the repaint but wouldn't have had the first clue how to build my own panel or where to get my own original sounds. Not only that, WHY on earth would I want to when it is so easy to alias to another that already exists. Would be kind of like reinventing the wheel.I tend to be longwinded, sorry. What I'm getting to, is that if you don't have any panels or sounds that you like, don't forget to look into the AVSIM file library. There is a separate section just for panels, and just for sounds; some nice stuff in there.I recently had downloaded a Hercules C-130, didn't like the panel that came with it; found a very nice one right here at AVSIM.Have fun guys! Heather