Sign in to follow this  
ahaka

FS 737-400 vs. PMDG 737-700

Hello!Does anyone know if the default 737-400 is comparable to the 737-700 PMDG the same way these aircraft fly in real life?I've noticed that the default -400 needs a bit more pilot input when flying manually than the 737TNG. For example, when flying a manual approach, the -400 needs a lot more corrections while the -700 is more stable and feels lighter than the -400, making the -700 somewhat easier to fly. Another thing I've noticed is that the -700 needs more back pressure on the stick when banking.I would love to hear more comments/experience on this. :)

First a qualifying statement: I am a pilot but I only have experience in GA aircraft. Also, your question can only be answered subjectively based on an individuals experience and opinion.According to most of the pilots I have spoken with who have large aircraft experience, as well as those testing the NG, FS in general only does a fair job in recreating the actual feel of an aircraft. I would concur with this based on the FS GA models I have experience with as compared to thier real-world aircraft. IMHO, FS has a difficult time modeling wind and turbulence effects in flight and especially during landing, pitch sensitivity and ground effect during landing. I could go on, but these are the more major issues with FS for me.Concerning the NG specifically, PMDG has worked hard to ensure that the NG flight model is as accurate as possible. The real-world pilots on the beta team have confirmed. So based on control input, throttle settings and environment, the NG model will fly almost exactly to the published specificications for the aircraft.Again, I could go on and on and I am sure others would have a lot to say about this subject. There have been some interesting threads in the MSFS general forum on this subject as well.

I trust default FS flight models about as far as I can throw them (which isn't very far!)I think the NG (esp with SU2 now) has one of the best flight models ever done - sorta the airliner version of RealAir's SF.260. ;)Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Not sure if this has ever been brought up in the FS general forum but how's this for a conspiracy theory... MS intentionally 'dumb downed' FS in response to post 911 critisim of FS2K from the general media?

Guest edrutl

I think the conspiracy theory has been floated, but I also think the majority of FS buyers don't have the desire for realism most people have in the FS community.If you threw realistic panels/flight models at the casual user - they'd throw their hands up in frustration. I think MS knows the hardcore users will be served by 3rd party aircraft and look to keep the default aircraft generic enough to appeal to the millions of causual users who just want a taste of aviation on their computer.

Guest Paragon

Not to sound like a moron, but I think he asked if the real world aircraft fly the way the fs ones does, and the difference of them. Not really if the flight models are correct in fs9, PMDG or default.There's no question that PMDG beats the default hands down, as PMDG has spent probably 200% more time in developing a realistic flight model than microsoft has, and I'm glad they did. ;)I don't really have any answers for your question though. :)Mikkel

>Not to sound like a moron, but I think he asked if the real>world aircraft fly the way the fs ones does, and the>difference of them. Not really if the flight models are>correct in fs9, PMDG or default.Hehe you're right, that's what I was asking ;) Sorry I wasn't sure how to put it into words. Perhaps I was a bit unclear. I was thinking if someone here might know if the differences between old and new 737 are the same in real life as those I listed in my first post.But judging from these comments, the default FS model is not that close to a real 737-400. Btw, can't wait for SU2, hopefully it's done for christmas holidays so I can put it in a serious use. ;)

Ummm, they handle a little different but not so different as one would expect and a desktop pilot would not tell unless he was into performance and fuel burn etc. SWA pilots fly both and are type rated for the classic and the NG. The NG is a larger aircraft but each aircraft use U10.4-10.5 so the FMC is the same on both other than the engine ratings on some.[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/betaimg.jpg

Guest Hickup4695

Ryan, Ok no fair we don't have the SU2 so we don't know if that is correct? :']. Arn't you guys done yet playing with the thing. Give it to us LOLHawk