Sign in to follow this  
Guest crabster

Is "dumping fuel" a feature?

Guest crabster

In the event one would have to dump fuel, is this a feature or soon to be feature? Thanks!Andy

Guest EGCC

The Boeing 737 does not have a fuel dump option, this is generally the reserve of larger aircraft.Even then there is never a need to dump fuel as all aircraft are certified to land up to MTOW in an emergency. A 767 or 747 at MTOW won't waste time dumping fuel if a serious emergency (e.g. fire) occurs after take-off... they will just land.Andy

Guest Matthew Murray

Now if that fire could be put-out, I would rather wait and dump fuel for a safe landing -- regardless if the aircraft is capable of landing at MTOW! Not that we would need to of course...ahem...

Guest mvf1981

Hi Andy,Just for your information I was on a 744 to Newark from gatwick last year and a lovely ac pack broke and the air temp in the cabin was rising to way over 35 degrees C when the pilot decided to come back to Gatwick, any way we had to dump fuel.That was a fun day with a lovely 4 hour delay and 2 hours wasted flying time :-)So I suppose it is down to the pilot in the end. I must agree tho if it was a major emergency maybe it would be safer to get to the airport and land asap without having to worry about wasting time dumping fuel!Cheers Mark :-)

Yes, it's down to the pilot at the end, but in a more serious emergency, the pilot will, or should land ASAP without fuel dumps I think. Air condition pack failure doesn't sound too serious, so the pilot probably decided to save the undercarriage from extra load and dumped the fuel.

Guest LLgaz

Read 2:>>>Air condition pack failure doesn't sound too serious<<>>the air temp in the cabin was rising to way over 35 degrees C<<

The crew might have - wonder what the FAA would have to say about that?Andy b

Guest mvf1981

Hmm Well unfortunatly for us guys in econ cabin we had the unpleasurable Male Flight attendents :~P :~P (im sure they do that just to annoy all the blokes who cannot afford the 1st class ticket!) so really It was quite lucky they were wearing short sleeves already!On the other hand if i had only payed the extra 1000 quid for a 1st class ticket maybe I could have seen some nicer Female attendents! in maybe (wishfull speaking) a skimpy bikini :9Oh well (thats got to be against all CAA regualtions but in Hot situations who knows! Wish I was in the 1st class cabin with a vid camera :+)Mark

Guest LLgaz

Now just imagine........if something like this happened on Hooters Air. Just imagine........

Guest mvf1981

LOL well one can only imagine heyMark

Guest Speedrick

Sorry mate but fuel dump is not installed on the B737 series.This is due to that the Max Landing Wheight is very close to the Max T/O Wheight.