Sign in to follow this  

Oshkosh Scenery Install, why Reboot ??

Does anyone have an idea why the setup program for the Oshkosh scenery requires a reboot to complete installation ? It certainly should not need to replace any system DLLs that might be in use, it's only BGLs and BMPs, or am I missing something ? It would be interesting to know what else was installed here 'under the covers'. When I rebooted (this is still on Win98SE), it said that system files were updated, so something must have happened.Cheers,Siggy

Siggy Schwarz

Mine never asked or required a re-boot. I used the self-install. It did update some scenery files when first starting FS2002. Does the same as when I use to import FS2K scenery to CFS2 (Scenery Indencies).L.Adamson

From what I hear, the install makes a needed entry into the registry thus a reboot must be required for FS2k2 to see this entry. I was prompted to reboot my system at the end of the install.Happy Flying,Mark

Guest Lindy

That's interesting, Larry. I used the self-install as well (Win98SE) and was also prompted to reboot. I didn't really think anything of it at the time...... it IS Microsoft, after all. :-lol -Lindy :-spacecraft

Guest wkzzo

It adds registry entries for the uninstall string, that is why it asks for a reboot to update the os config files. If you look in your add remove programs folder in the control panel there will be an uninstaller for the oskosh scenery.

Guest Scott Campbell

Lindy,Man have you got THAT right! errr...Woman have you got THAT right! There is absolutely no reason they should have an uninstall registry entry. Don't want the scenery? Just delete the friggin' folder! Those goofy guys at MS just have to make things far more complicated than they should be. Silly silly silly!

I have Windows 2000. It never asked me to reboot.

I have Windows XP (home). Maybe that's the reason for no re-boot???L.Adamson

Guest Iain Spowart

Using XP Home as well, but it still asked for a re-boot. Does anyone understand Microsoft? :-lolIain Spowart,Scotland.