Sign in to follow this  
Guest Scott Campbell

FS2002: WHAT ABOUT SCENERY PLACEMENT ON YOUR HARDRIVE?

Maybe your setup is like mine. You have individual add on scenery folders scattered all over, each folder named to reflect the respective sceneries which are then accessed by FS2002 through scenery.cfg. But, I find this rather confusing especially when one area might be designed by one author, updated by another, and revised by someone else. I wonder if there is a more efficient way to file scenery and have it accessed by FS2002. For instance, would there be any loss in having one folder i.e. c:fssceneryscenery and another designated c:fslandclassscenery. Conventional .bgl files would all go in the fsscenery folder and the landclass sceneries would all go into the fs landclass folder. This would mean only two additional folders to be accessed by fs2002.Incidentally, I prefer keeping as much or all of my add on sceneries outside of c:fs2002 so that if I should ever have to reinstall fs2002, I will not have to reinstall all of those add on sceneries that might be wiped away by a reinstall. Does any of this make sense? What do you do about add on sceneries, and how to you keep track to make sure that you have the latest updates? Oh, and thanks for reading this far.Sherman KaplanHighland Park IL

Guest Scott Campbell

Sherman,>Maybe your setup is like mine. You have individual add on >scenery folders scattered all over, each folder named to >reflect the respective sceneries which are then accessed by >FS2002 through scenery.cfg.Yes: FS2002sceneryall the individual scenery folders>But, I find this rather >confusing especially when one area might be designed by one >author, updated by another, and revised by someone else. I >wonder if there is a more efficient way to file scenery and >have it accessed by FS2002. For instance, would there be any >loss in having one folder i.e. c:fssceneryscenery and >another designated c:fslandclassscenery.A couple problems. 1) There are many scenery files with the same names and 2) There are a lot of texture files with the same names. You could potentially overwrite stuff when you add a new scenery with same names.> Conventional .bgl >files would all go in the fsscenery folder and the landclass >sceneries would all go into the fs landclass folder. This >would mean only two additional folders to be accessed by >fs2002.Yes, besides the above with overwriting, you wouldn't have the slightest idea what file goes with what or where it is in the world or if it needs to be in a layer above another one. Half of mine are this type as they fix a lot of flawed default and add-on scenery. At least the folder names are descriptive. Plus, you cannot activate or deactivate individual scenery areas. You would have either all scenery or none.>Incidentally, I prefer keeping as much or all of my add on >sceneries outside of c:fs2002 so that if I should ever have >to reinstall fs2002, I will not have to reinstall all of >those add on sceneries that might be wiped away by a >reinstall.I've reinstalled FS2002 once. All I did was to copy the FS2002 directory, this making a back-up, uninstall, reinstall, then copy everything I needed back into the new FS2002 directory. By and large, all I really did was to move the scenery, flights, and aircraft folders into the new FS2002 and move the scenery.cfg file with it.

thanks, Scott...from your explanation, I guess the best thing is to leave well enough alone...though I still wonder if there is any problem in putting the various land class sceneries together...currently, I keep all of Justin Tymes in one folder, and LC files from others in folders designated by geographic areas covered. It looks kind of cluttered when I open Explorer, but, I guess it ain't broke, don't fix it.Sherm

Guest Scott Campbell

Sherman,As far as LC files go, I do admit the ones I installed have not had the same file names so far, and they don't overlap. I have put these in FS2002scenery alone. If it does come to overlays or same file names, then I will have to put them into their own folders under scenery and put the names into the scenery.cfg files.(Edited because I can't spell 'the'. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, no problem! Go figure!)