Sign in to follow this  
Guest tmetzinger

Tutorial for SU2

Guest tmetzinger

Fellow Captains,I've gotten a lot of questions if I'll be revising my tutorial for SU2, and the short answer is NO.................Because I'll be writing a completely NEW tutorial to reflect SU2's new features!Since I haven't gotten SU2 yet, and I have to go the Wright Brothers Centennial this week and then Ferry an airplane to the west coast next week (somebody's getting a Mooney Bravo for Christmas!), I won't really be able to get cracking on the tutorial until the new year.However, the tutorial will be a bit more in depth than the last one - I'm planning on having it consist of several flights based on some Southwest Airlines routes, and will try to cover all the neat new stuff like missed approaches, course interceptions, etcetera.At this point I expect the tutorial will be freeware for download, and will be in the multimegabyte size range again.I'll post an update on this topic when I have it ready for a beta test.In the meantime, most of the old tutorial will still work, except for the parts dealing with selecting SID/STARs and transitions, that's changed in the FMC but should be easy to handle, just pic the procedure first, and THEN the transition.Best wishes to all!

Guest Fluxuated

Thank you Tim, your tutorial was essential in me learning to fly the PMDG 737. It's appreciated.Paul.

Guest bigun

Sounds great Tim. Look forward to it.

Yes thanks Timothy your previous tutorial was the document which swayed me to purchase the 737NG - the standard operating manuals are poor except for occasional in-depth reference to particular systems.Most suprised that you weren't sent your own unique copy of SU2 considering the amount of hardwork and time you have spent promoting this product.Everything is now becoming clearer (and after nearly 12 hours I am still unable to download this file).RegardsAdam Moore

Guest Lord Zap

As a relative newbie to the PMDG 737 I found your tutorial an excellent resource for getting to grips with this fine bird, so I am very much looking forward to the new one, but hey, I can't get a hold of SU2 myself atm so there's no hurry...hehehe ;-)regardsDave

Guest tmetzinger

>>Most suprised that you weren't sent your own unique copy of>SU2 considering the amount of hardwork and time you have spent>promoting this product.I declined to participate or get sneak peeks at SU2, because I know how frustrated I'd get to write something and then have the code change and invalidate my work!I've heard good things about the SU2 documentation, so with any luck people will be able to rely on it for how things work, and I can focus the tutorial on "how you use it", particularly in respect to VATSIM and other online flight experiences.

Guest bigun

Timothy I don't think it can be overstated at all how much your tutorial contibuted to the enjoyment of the 737NG. The original manuals did indeed leave a lot to be desired for those of us who only "played" at FS. (Until this package at least). It's amazing how many threads on various forums refer to"Tim's Tutorial" whenever anyone has any questions about the PMDG 737NG. The new manuals are indeed light years ahead of the originals, but your new tutorial will be as highly anticipated and used as your original, if not more.How about it PMDG. Maybe you can give Tim a FREE copy of the next 737 package:)

Guest tmetzinger

Captains,Here's the tentative line up for the new tutorial - I'd welcome suggestions on autoflight features or procedures not included yet.I'm hoping to have it ready by the second week of January.Flight One

Guest Jean Claude

CaptainIt is me to call you captain, is in it ?Is it possible to create situations for only particular phase of a flight and let us use it to practice difficult aspect of flight ?Maneuvering under certain conditions could be very challenging... Ill bet you then a lots of pilots would overshoot hand flying change of direction !As if we where using full motion simulator with our instructor (FS9 and you) !Practicing phases of flight one by one would make us (and me of course) more proefficient during complete flight. It would reminds me the old ATP times...Jean-ClaudeCYQB

Guest tmetzinger

>Captain>>It is me to call you captain, is in it ?>>Is it possible to create situations for only particular phase>of a flight and let us use it to practice difficult aspect of>flight ?>>Maneuvering under certain conditions could be very>challenging... Ill bet you then a lots of pilots would>overshoot hand flying change of direction !>>As if we where using full motion simulator with our instructor>(FS9 and you) !>>Practicing phases of flight one by one would make us (and me>of course) more proefficient during complete flight. It would>reminds me the old ATP times...>>Jean-Claude>CYQBThe problem with situations is that the advanced systems of the PMDG NG don't save their state to a situation file, thus resetting the situation (say in straight and level flight) would give you an airplane with the engines running and the proper amount of fuel, but the various other systems (pneumatics, FMC, hydraulics) would all probably be cold and dark... This could render the airplane unflyable.See my next post on this topic for more info on the approach I'll be taking.

Guest tmetzinger

An update as of 12/19:I'm considering a new approach, and would like your feedback.I'm planning on a FREE tutorial that will be based at KTNT, the Dade-Collier Training and Transition facility in Florida. The tutorial will consist of several flights, and I'm going to try and make it seem as if you, the reader, were attending a course there.The first flight will be completely a basic takeoff, pattern, and landing, all manual, to get you used to hand-flying the jet a little. I'll focus on power settings, pitch attitudes, and flaps/gear settings, and expect the reader to practice this flight until they're proficient.The next three flights will take you from KTNT back to KTNT, flying for about 45-60 minutes on a route around florida. These flights will each have programmed goals and will focus on the departure, cruise, and descent/approach routines.Finally, for the final flight, you'll do a cross-country from KTNT to KATL, with inflight re-routing, holds, and an autoland.This should be available by mid January.Then, if there is sufficient interest, I'm considering writing a PAYWARE series of adventures, based on airline ops, sort of like the stuff Charles Gulick used to write. Each adventure would consist of several flights (sort of a captain's "line" for a couple days), and I'd provide a "plot" of some sort that would require you to do something out of the ordinary (like divert to the nearest airport for a sick passenger, ordeal with bad weather) and focus on FMC features and US ATC procedures.I'm going to privately discuss the payware idea with PMDG to make sure we can come to some agreement. If we can, I'd be looking for a price point for $3.00 US for each "adventure". I'd be interested in hearing your comments.

Hi TimYour plan for the tutorials sound good to me just one question what about a tutorial for landing on a LOC only rwy say KSAN rwy27, or NDB approach. Just a thought keep it up your work is great! Thanks Dave Kirk.

Guest YUL1846

Hi Tim,I think your multi-phased tutorials is a great idea. When I first bought the PMDG 737NG, I was a leap of faith of sorts, relying on the different threads praising this product. When I installed it, I realized how truly complex this plane was, and was somewhat discouraged with what I thought was going to be a very difficult and steep learning curve. But thanks to your tutorial, I was able to take smaller, more digestable bites out of the proverbial curve and was able to digest it a lot easier. Don't get me wrong, I learned something new with every flight, but at least I was able to get this baby flying and where I wanted to go. Now, with SU2 out, seems to me, that they added even more realism (didn't think that was possible when I first got the NG ;-) ) and I would truly appreciate more of your tutorials, to get me up to speed with this more advanced aircraft. And yes I would pay for your more advanced, complex ones. Thanks again for all your hard work and dedication to this plane.J-P Levis......CYUL

Timothy,From my point of view your suggestions are first class!Firstly the tutorials gives us the tools and practice, thenthe 'real' stuff putting it all to good use with adventures.Count me in on all of it including the payware.Thank you, David Pedder

Guest tmetzinger

>Hi Tim>Your plan for the tutorials sound good to me just one question>what about a tutorial for landing on a LOC only rwy say KSAN>rwy27, or NDB approach. Just a thought keep it up your work>is great! Thanks Dave Kirk.As luck would have it, KTNT has a GPS/NDB approach, as well as an ILS, so you can count on a LOC only approach, as well as an FMC-based NDB approach. What GPS and FMS's do to NDB approaches (turn them into non-events) is amazing, so if you're up for the challenge I'll describe how to fly the NDB using just the HDG and VS modes, and then you can try it fully manual!