Sign in to follow this  
JLedford

A HOT TOPIC.........REALLY

My PC has been from time to time the last couple off days shuting down and then restarting all by itself and a few times it was not even restating so I went into my BIOS and checked PC HEALTH and found my CPU temps topping 149 to 152 dgrs and system temps at 120 dgrs. I have shut it down and opened it up and the CPU fan was running but the fan that is over top of the main chipset was not however after a little playing with the connector it is now back to running to.Current system temps. is no 98dgr and CPU is 125dgrsI have decided to leave ths side cover loosly off so it can breathe better.If any one has any other suggestion I would be appreciative also does Win98 put more strain/heat on the CPU or should the CPU temps be the same in BIOS mode as well as WIN.http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/dcforum/Us...9d503cc53ab.jpg

CPU temps should go up and down based on usage, so the temps may go up under heavy load, which you normally won't experience from the BIOS screen.Sometimes removal of the cover will actually increase temps, depending on fan placement. The main thing is to keep a flow of air passing over the cpu.... Sometimes, removal of the cover will divert the air, and less will pass over the CPU. The other issue is exposure to dust, and the ever present risk of zapping the MB with static should your foot or hand slip :) I have a rather good exhaust fan/duct right over the cpu, which chops 12 deg. F off of the temp with the cover on. My cpu is normally around 101-107 deg, and MB around 95 deg, given an 80 degree room temp. Without the exhaust fan (it failed once, sounding quite like a greyhound bus as it went), the temps are more in line with yours. The same holds true when my cover is off--the temps will increase somewhat as the airflow isn't vectored as well through the case.-JohnB.T.W. If you ever hear something sounding like a greyhound bus, don't do what I did and spend five minutes gawking out an upstairs window looking for the thing. Check your fan :)

I,ve been running my PC minus side panel for more than a year without problems.Running as it is now I get a max CPU temp of 52 after hours using fs20002 ,on a really hot day, which Is quite rare here in Scotland :).With the side cover on within a few minutes running fs2002 I was into the 6o's.I could have reduced the temperature inside the case with more fans and a PSU unit with greater airflow, but I can,t stand the NOISE!!:).Roll on water cooling.CheersJohn

Guest danowat

Hi,It sounds similar to a problem I used to have.My problem turned out to be the power supply on it's last legs.So maybe this would help.Dan.

Guest emergency_pants

For Very Quiet cooling, I would recommend this option...http://www.quietpc.ca/cpucooling.htmlTake a look and see what you think. I don't have a need for this at the moment, but on my next upgrade, I'll be considering it.Cheers,Si.

Hi"For Very Quiet cooling, I would recommend this option..."I Got a 300watt amd approved PSU, CPU heatsink and fan and a HD enclosure from Quietpc.Before adding these My PC was driving me nuts, did a nice impression of a hairdrier:).Since installing these items my PC is whisper quiet,Didn't really notice how Intrusive the noise was till it was gone.Have recently upgraded to an ABIT geforce 4 4400 which is Fast and very quiet,Unlike some other ,like the Creative Geforce 4 which produced around 50db,s on a test at Toms hardware, Now that's LOUD!.My Abit card came out around the 30Db mark.all the bestJohn

An easy and very cheap thing to do is to simply place some wooden blocks underneath the case so that air may circulate all around the case. I use wood due to the floor being carpet, yet you could use most any other non conductive material. This is not going to save you CPU if your fan goes the way of a grayhound bus, yet it will help in keeping you machine cooler and protect it from static electricity if your floor is carpeted.Regards,Jay