Sign in to follow this  

GMax R4D DC-3 Cancelled, THIS IS TERRIBLE!

email I sent to Jan this afternoon......Hi Jan,I have been out of touch for the last week and only just discovered the row going on with RCS and them asking you to leave. I applaud you sir for your stand and say stick to your guns. While I don't mind paying for good quality work, I do mind paying for something that is titled something it is not. I really resented being forced to "donate" to MAAM. While it might be a good cause, donationware is just payware disguised with a feelgood name. After I got rid of FS2000 and upgraded to 2002, I was very disappointed and resented the fact that I couldn't obtain a copy of the R4D unless I "donated" money. I don't call that donationware. Donations are an honor system. Had RCS put it out as freeware asking for donations I probably would have gladly dug in my pocket and DOUBLED the amount they were asking for. But the important point here is....."of my own free will".And quite frankly I've never been impressed with Mr. Chaffin's attitude toward the FS community anyway, so no loss there. RCS needs you more than you need them.Stick to your guns Jan. There will be other projects for you. And whether you decide to release them as freeware or payware I will always be a fan and/or customer. At least you have the integrity to call a spade a spade. Again, I say good for you. I also will place the contents of this email on AVSIM's forum as I want the public to know I support you as well. Let me know if you want any more help beta testing in the future.

Roy seems to have thrown tantrums in the past. Will it be a great loss? I feel not because Jan will come out with the DC-3 and Roy will just be Roy.Jeff

If the group can reconcile, I will donate $50.00 to MAAM. If we offer a good chunk of change, then the decision may be tougher.BobP :)

ahhhhhh...seems like ego have gotten in way again. Whats a pity is that its a grown man, who is acting like a child. When will it ever end.

> Well, one thing's for sure - Roy hasn't changed much >over the years. I'm with the Capt'n and think we need the >other two sides of the story. But whatever the problem is, >it's just a shame that this became public in the way it did. You will find capable developers of all skills standing in line to give Jan - without ANY imposed conditions - whatever support he needs. Bad form, RCS, writing like that in public.

As everyone offers their answer to the problem, the real plane just sits on the ground wasting away. I guess I live to close to the Reading Airport. Someday I would like to look up and watch it fly over my house. Better yet to get a ride in her. Who cares if the flight sim model is payware or donationware. It is still a good cause to get a WWII era bird back in the air again. I thought that was why the project was being done. Even though the statement from RCS panels was tacky, we will never know the whole story. I think they should finish the project and turn it all over to MAAM and let them handle the distrubution issues. Jan, Roy and Bill would still get the credit for the hard work. I am waiting for the B-25 project to be finished, but that real plane is already flying.Just my 2 centsHerbieG

I don't know any of the principals involved (and never will) or any history here so from a pretty objective point of view I can state the "press release" was pretty immature. Just imagine a similar release coming from *any* company you might care to think of... no, wait, you don't have to imagine it, I'll write it for you:"We (and by that I actually mean, Me, the Head Honcho here, Fred Friendly) are sad today to announce at Intel we (and remember, that means Me, Fred) won't be releasing the chip that was to be the successor to the Pentium.Intel has been proud of the money it has made over the years for our stockholders and the main reason it has done so well has been me... I mean, *our* insistence upon a "team" effort, which means the team needs to do what I say. Unfortunately, our chief designer Bob Chipworthy decided he had had enough of our (and by that I mean the team and not anything I have decided myself) stupid management decisions and we couldn't stand his attitude anymore so he was 'asked to leave'. He then told us to put our chip 'where the sun don't shine' which would have caused a lot of heat sink problems. Then, just as we were about to deliver the chip we had another guy complain about management -- and I've decided (oops, I mean "we've" decided) these troublemakers are the Real Problem so we're going out of the chip business. This has meant the loss of a lot of work, including all the wonderful stuff that me me me I have done, but I'm sure all you stockholders will understand. It's better that we (the royal We, meaning me and everyone who agrees with me) concentrate on making those really cute commercials with the aliens in them. We're sure these other guys will release other chips on their own and we really wish them the best of luck. Really. And remember, we'll (well, anyone who is still left around here who actually does what I say) have all these wonderful Alien commercials coming out Real Soon Now."Just what it looks like from someone who really knows nothing about the truth of the situation. That's why it seems that Jan (who has not issued his own statement) has a lot of class.

:-lol :-lol Excellent comparison. And you're right about Jan there ;-) :-outta Francois :-wave________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online!email: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

The post that was originally here has been removed. AidiForum Admin

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Guest DNelson

The first item in your list, the "desktop idiots...lower orifice" was an absolute gem. (At least he spelled orifice correctly. It's tough to get through one sentence of his without at least one hilarious mis-spelling. One of my favorites is "kaos.") That's the comment that forever turned me away from anything released by this band of misfits (not counting Jan of course).Dan

Not knowing either Roy or Jan, and after reading most of the posts in this thread, I would suggest that each persons post would nicely apply to themselves!!A bystander.

Hey Aidi,I was just blowing off some steam. :) No harm meant.You have to understand that I was one of the "Desktop Idiots" who tried to help the dozens on THIS (and other) AVSIM forums after they deleted their SYSTEM fonts based on "His" suggestion. Mind you some of these people were in a real panic, as they could not boot their systems into Windows, and many had valuable business-related material on these systems!! I didn't appreciate his attitude towards ALL the good AVSIM people who go out of their way to help other simmers who have problems, especially ones trying to clean up after his mess!If you search the archives in these forums, you will see that I am a long-time contributor, helping many individuals AND groups (Project Freeware in particular) with computer and FS related problems.I just knew when I saw the title of this post,

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Hey Francois,Yeah I know, I was going to link to the page on his site that contained all the phrases I quoted. :)I know you were around when the quotes in question were debated here on Avsim. I still find it amazing that someone could think that they are so superior to everyone else that we should all just shut up and listen to his preachings.I can see why Jan left, and I'm glad he did. I hope he releases his model as he intended, not with some other person's version of donationware."Gun to the head"...LoL I would have loved to be in on that conversation when "He" was confronted by a man with a gun, forcing him take the action he did. Give me a break.Regards,Steve Dra

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg