Sign in to follow this  
Guest crabster

This is a bit interesting (The sitiuation)

Guest crabster

If you sit back and take a look, it's incredible that soo many people own the 737NG. It's gotta be well into the to hundreds? If it was just 40-50 people trying to upgrade, then I don't think there would be a server problem, correct?To me that says alot about this company. They obviously produce a great product or people just wouldn't have cared. And the apparent work put into the SU-2 upgrade speaks volumes.This is an outsiders point of view. I ain't brown nosing as I don't know anyone at PMDG, heck I don't own any of their products-haven't been able to purchase it :) (hopefully soon)Truth be told I'd rather see a sitiuation like this than the one that happened recently to another developer.Andy

Try THOUSANDS... :) I'd say HIGH four digits, if not into the low FIVE digits.If we are to presume that 150 people at a time are downloading the product at any one time (based on the 100-200 connections we've heard about), and the download takes, oh, 15 minutes average between dial-ups and broadbands (guessing!)...150 Users At A Time X (60 mins / 15 mins = 4 cycles of users per hour) X 72 Hours-ish Since Release Email = 43,200 users could have THEORETICALLY downloaded the product already... But we all know the server has not been available 24/7, those not in the download queue have been banging down the server door, and I'd presume download managers have been hording the available connections. Given that we have seen only a SMALL handful (a dozen max?) of "I have the update!" posts, I think the number of sucessful downloads is considerably, if not hugely smaller than the theoretical possibilities. YES - THIS is the much better situation... a working product but a hobbled distribution is FAR better than a broken product with a smooth distribution. At least we know that what we'll end up getting will work. That, and the CUSTOMER SUPPORT these forums have seen has been utterly fantastic. The customer service isn't an excuse for the problems we're having, but they are obviously doing the best they can in a situation they may have underestimated. We were warned a few weeks in advance that the downloading of the update would be slow going, but I don't think any of us (including PMDG!) beleived it would be quite the experience it's been.Too bad this is such a global product - that leaves no good time of the day to try to jump in "off hours" to get it. Looking forward to the next health update...-Greg