Sign in to follow this  
Guest dirk1000

TRIBUTE TO AVIATION PIONEERS

Guest B742FAN

Deserves a bump and a nod. Couldn't agree more. Hat's off to aviation itself.__Josh

Guest slapshot

You know its not proven that the Right Brother where the first powered flight! They where first to film there flight! I seen a documentary on History Channel of some guy who managed power flight about 6 months before the Right Brothers. He even got a patent on his aircraft before the Rightfler flew! Then in the 90's some people built a replicate of his aircraft and it flew! There where also a few others that made such claims! The only reason everyone says it was the Right Brothers is because they filmed it! Fare enough I guess!I will probably get abused for this comment!Pete

Today is also the birthday of Ludwig van Beethoven. He would be 223 years old if he were to be alive.It is an auspicious day today indeed.Michael TanCanberra

Guest keith_yingling

Not only that, but it is also my 21st birthday!Keith Yingling

>You know its not proven that the Right Brother where the>first powered flight! They where first to film there flight! >I seen a documentary on History Channel of some guy who>managed power flight about 6 months before the Right Brothers.>He even got a patent on his aircraft before the Rightfler>flew! Then in the 90's some people built a replicate of his>aircraft and it flew! There where also a few others that made>such claims! The only reason everyone says it was the Right>Brothers is because they filmed it! Fare enough I guess!>>I will probably get abused for this comment!>>PeteYes! I have heard of this as well. They are the mysterious "Left Brothers"! Others called them the "Softpaw Yoke Grabbers". While those other more famous brothers were up in North Carolina at Kitty Hawk, the "Left Brothers" were down in Florida at Daytona Beach. Reason being they heard they were racing cars on the beach and figured what better place to fly a plane. Unfortunatley the day they went to fly the plane, two other brothers, Hank and Jethro were on a drunken binge in there Model-A Ford and were cruising along the beach. The "Left Brothers" had left there plane parked in the sand along with the camera next to it while they went to get some food to eat for lunch. When they came back they found that the camera had been crushed by the Model-A Ford when Hank lost control of the car. The flight was made but no recording of it ever occured. The true birthplace of aviation is at Daytona Beach, FL. Why do you think the biggest aviation college, ERAU is here of all places? ;)

Eric 

Guest Dudley Brooke

There are a number of prior claims, it seems that taking a camera got the Wright Brothers the medal.Here are two that have some merit ( well reported and physical remains )http://chrisbrady.itgo.com/pearse/pearse.htmhttp://www.deepsky.com/%7Efirstflight/Pages/article3.htmlThe Wright brothers were the first to prove they did it. The balance of probability tends to indicate that they didn't, but what does it really matter.Dudley Brooke

Lovely picture!I do believe that the first manned powered flight was 24 September 1852 when Henri Giffard flew a steam powered airship 17 miles in France. It was manned, it was powered and it was heavier than air.ScottYBTL

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Orville and Wilbur were simply in the Wright place at the Wright time with the Wright exposure set on their camera.Andy B

Happy Birthday Keith. It is a long time (nearly 40 years) since my 21st but I can still remember it well.Have a great day. :-beerchug Bill

A coloured version of history :)Seems to be the norm :(ScottYBTL

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg