Sign in to follow this  
Guest Marc Sykes

FMC Locks up FS

Guest Marc Sykes

Tried to fly KSAN-KSFO and followed the following procedure, resulting in a lockup:1. Loaded default Cessna 172 at the gate, switched off engines.2. Loaded and fueled (5k each wing tank, nothing in center) PMDG 737-700 winglet version.3. Turned on battery, APU, bleeds, pitot, etc. following standard checklists.4. Began FMC preflight--chose PEBLE3 dep, SLI trans, rwy 27 at KSAN.5. Attempted to choose BSR2 arrival, DILS28L approach. It then gave me the option of three transitions. Attempted to choose MENLO.At this point FS locked up completely except for the lovely fan/stby altimeter/APU sounds, which kept playing. The "hand" cursor remained onscreen and I could move it around but I couldn't push any buttons or do anything with FS. I could minimze FS and surf the web or whatever, but FS was completely locked -- only thing I could do was Ctrl-Alt-Del and shut it down from Task Manager.Tried the same FMC procedure three times; each time, it was this exact same moment (choosing the transition waypoint on the ILS approach) where it locked up.Haven't done anything to SID/STAR files since installing SU2 (used remove tool prior to SU2 installation). I did install the AIRAC 0312 in the proper directory after installing SU2.Any thoughts? Bad data for KSFO or something I'm doing wrong?Thanks for any help. Oh, system specs might be useful:Sony P4 2.4 GHzWindows XP Home1 GB RAM2 80G HDs19" and 17" monitorsFS2004Ultimate TrafficRegards,Marc SykesSenior VP, LAX OperationsPacific West AirwaysZLA ARTCC Chief

Marc-We saw a few instances of this during testing, and Anthony spent a tremendous amount of time programming ways to ensure that any bogus operands from within the SID/STAR could not lock the system...Perhaps you find an instance?Lets let Anthony come in and comment in more detail.... That's his area of the sim....

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Confirmed - it just did the same thing to me even with a different set of DAFIF derived SIDSTAR files (made by Lee). I think I know what's causing the problem though - I'm gonna try some changes to the SID/STAR file - I'll post back in a second...This type of thing was the most frustrating part of testing the plane because I am positive I flew this exact same route with one of the beta builds a few weeks ago and it worked fine!Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Fixed it - here's the deal:The FMC is apparently getting confused by the fact that MENLO is already part of the STAR, followed by a HDG 330 VECTORS command...1. Open up KSFO.txt in the FS/PMDG/SIDSTARS folder2. Go down to line 210, (the BSR2 STAR line) and remove the HDG 330 VECTORSAfter doing that the procedure loaded fine for me. The strange thing is that I know this kind of thing worked before - even if there's two MENLOS in there, they should be separate due to the DISCO between the STAR and the IAP.Congrats Marc, you found the first thing we didn't ;)Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest mokeiko

aloha all. i'm having the same problem.departing PHNL RWY 08LPALAY2 SIDLNY TRANSArrival PHKO RWY 17sim freezes when i choose either:KAYAK4VECK16coming back home from PHKO to PHNL was flawless though.

Guest Marc Sykes

Man you guys are good. I post this, get on the phone with a friend, that lasts an hour, I come back here and there's six responses, including a fix. That rocks.Anyway, I thought it might have something to do with that, but as soon as I loaded up the .txt file for KSFO I knew I was WAY out of my element trying to tinker. Thanks for finding this!Regards,Marc

>aloha all. i'm having the same problem.>>departing PHNL RWY 08L>PALAY2 SID>LNY TRANS>>Arrival PHKO RWY 17>>sim freezes when i choose either:>>KAYAK4>VECK16>>coming back home from PHKO to PHNL was flawless though.Frank,What are the exact steps in numbered order that you're taking to reproduce from the time you start selecting the route on the FMC? I need to see the exact sequence that you're loading things in... Whne you say "Arrival PHKO RWY 17" which actual approach are you selecting and which transition? Are you selecting the approach first and then the STAR?

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

I also found a lockup situation.PMDG 737 No VCDeparture KPHXRunway 07RSID: BARGN1 no transition (Last WP is CHILY)Arrival KLASRunway 25L DILS25L w/ CROWE TransitionSTAR: CROWENow if you choose the CROWE Star first then when you click on the CROWE transition under the Runway selection (in this instance DILS25L) then it freezes FS. Oppositely, if you choose the CROWE Transition first from under the Runway selection (again DILS25L) then attempt to choose the CROWE STAR then FS will freeze.Hope this helps.

Howard H.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"

-Mahatma Gandhi

Guest mokeiko

aloha ryan. thank you for helping me out. here are the steps.flight from PHNL (honolulu) to PHKO (kona)1. load default cessna2. load 737-6003. open FMC, press FMC LSK4. type PHNL5. type 08L for RWY6. go to next page and type PHNL for depart and PHKO for arrival7. press the depp/arr key8. click the PHNL depp key9. RWY 08L is already highlighted10. click on PALAY2 SID11. click LNY trans12. click the depp/arr key13. click the PHKO arr LSK14. click DILS17 RWY LSK15. click on the KAYAK4 STAR.....this is where the FMC freezes16. i press control-alt-delete to end FS2004 taski restarted FS2004 and went through the same steps and when i got to step 15 and chose VECK16 STAR instead, the fmc freezes also.i hope i entered everything ok.