Sign in to follow this  

Fate Is The Hunter

I highly recommend that fellow Flight Simmers optain and read the very famous book writtern by ERNEST K GANN called FATE IS THE HUNTER.This book details his experiences as a Airline Pilot starting with DC-2 and DC-3 flying just before the 2nd World World and continues from there.The book was orginially released in 1961 and is still in print. Copies are available at Libraries but you might have to place an inter-library request or you should be able to order a copy from your local book store (Chapters here in Kamloops had the book in stock with their avaition books).This is one of the best written books I have ever read (and I've read a lot of books over my 58 years!)

Guest Sabadin

I agree, that has to be the only book I had to read for school that was truly enjoyable, lots of great stories.

>I highly recommend that fellow Flight Simmers optain and >read the very famous book writtern by ERNEST K GANN called >FATE IS THE HUNTER. Agreed! In addition to being a fine book, there was an excellent movie made of it starring Glenn Ford ( if memory serves ) and I also believe Gann was technical advisor.vgb

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Guest Pabra

Of the very few books I've read it is still on top. Another great one is from Stanley Stewart; From the flightdeck, Heathrow-Chicago, describing in great detail a transatlantic crossing with a BA 747-200. Lots of pics too.

"Ernest K. Gann A Gentleman of Adventure:When he was not writing, he was an airline pilot, sailor, rancher and artist. Flying, however, was his passion and he flew every aircraft there was to fly. The story of a man who searched out adventure all over the world. (55 min)".If anyone is interested, this video tape is available at "//shop.eaa.org".

There are a ton of books on aviation, but VERY few authors actually capture what the aviation world is all about.Gann's "Flying Circus" is a great read, series of short stories about various parts of flying.The auther of "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" (Richard Bach?) wrote an excellent story, "Stranger to the Ground".Anybody can write about flight, but writing about "flying" seems to be limited to a special few, the "Band of Brothers"(written before Kathypilot was born so don't get uppitty with me sister) Most of Gordon Baxter's columns are great reads in "Flying"---the rest of the magazine seems to have lost touched with aviators.Just wish John Wayne's estate would release "The High and the Mighty" on video. Timothy

Guest DNelson

Richard Bach wrote several excellent aviation books. In addition to "Stranger to the Ground," "Biplane" and "Nothing by Chance" are my favorites.I also agree about Gordon Baxter. A collection of his Flying pieces was published in a book called "Bax Seat." I enjoyed reading it when it came out (20 years ago?), and read it again after getting my instrument rating several years ago. His columns about his instrument rating adventures had me ROTFLMAO.Dan

I believe this book is in the top 5 in aviation books ever...I have read it at least 5 times, just this past year actually...it's now out in paperbook again...didnt think much of the movie...Gann is practically poetic in "Fate is the Hunter"...

He has a very descriptive writing style.