Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Debonair's Air File? Why does it feel so good?

Guest Stardog

I have just in the last few days installed and been flying Geoff's Debonair and noticed some real staggering differences in the feel of this plane and the feel of other planes I fly.The thing that I noticed was how realistic this plane feels as far as weight, drag and overall "feel".I have the Dreamfleet Archer, which I love and I have various other planes that are very similar to the Deb but none of them come close to feeling as realistic as this plane from Geoff.Not that the other planes are bad but they tend to be more "twitchy" then the Deb and just do not feel as smooth.Whats the difference? why is this plane feel so right? Is this just me and I am imagining this? I almost temped to adapt the air file from the Deb to my other similar planes just to get that same feeling from them. Is there something I am missing here?thanks

Guest wkzzo

I agree with you there, also a couple of other planes that capture that great feeling to me are pic 767. hjg's 707's and dc-8's, the falcon 50 and the reno p51 air racing package also have great airfiles. There is just something about these planes that feels so right.

Guest Stardog

Yes the P-51 set is very nice as well.I am curious how close in performance the Deb and the Archer are?While I like what Dreamfleet has done I feel that the "feel" of the Debonair is more in line with what I feel real flight feels like.I wonder if the air file for the Deb can be used for other planes that are very similar in performance?Maybe we can get Geoff's input here

Regarding the Archer, it's been my favorite single engine GA to fly since it came out but I was practicing low speed maneuvers the other night and found I was able to do some truly amazing stunts at or just above stall speed. Talk about turn on a dime! I have no idea if the real one would respond the same, nor would I try, but I suspect it proves the difficulty of modeling aircraft behavior across the entire spectrum of conditions.David

I totally agree with you on the Deb air file. I finally broke down and brought the Flight1 Cessna 421 and it also feels 'just right'. A good air file really seems to make the difference. I think that when the Deb VC arrives I will only fly 3 or 4 planes, the Deb, the Cessna 421, and the default Cessna 172.

Guest Stardog

Absolutely the air file makes the plane in alot of ways.Since I have gotten more serious about FS2002 and getting ready to start training for my private ticket in real life I have bought a handful of addons and erased all the default planes from FS2002.I pretty much fly the Dreamfleet Archer II, FSD's 172-C(FS2000ver), Debonair, DHC-2 Beaver, FSD Super Cub, R4D DC-3 and the Reno P-51's. I also bought a couple planes that i will never fly in real life just for fun and the immersion factor, the Dreamfleet 737 and the FSD Cheyenne. I also purchased the Reality-XP Radio Stack. I am pretty much set for everything I ever want to do. The only plane I am really looking to get now will be the FSD Porter when it comes out and if someone would make a 172-C that matched the fidelity of the Archer II or something I would buy it for sure.But back to the point I am real temped to try the see if i can tweak the Deb air file to match Archer numbers as much as possible and use it because man it just feels right!

Well first the thanks goes to Michael Verlin who made the air file.Then second-I agree it "feels" right. But there seem to be those who judge flight models by "feel" (I do) and others by numbers and phases of flight-so there is always room for improvement.For instance-I was told by someone the deb will fly up to 30,000 ft. Since I've never done that in real life it never occured to me to try it on this fm. The overly high climb rate (which turns out to be a fault with the vsi guage) is another example.But for feel.... I agree it's there. Hopefully the next version with continue with the feel but add improvement for some particulars.Geofhttp://members.telocity.com/~geof43/geofanim2.gif