Sign in to follow this  

Even at 2.7Ghz, FS2000 still st..st..st..stutters.....

I was fooling around testing FS2002 performance differences between Win98SE and WinXP Pro on a new CPU (2.2a Northwood @ 2750Mhz) and I started to wonder about FS2000. Remember those who, shortly after it was released, cried "MS has built a sim for the computer of the future"? Well, I'm here to tell ya, the future isn't here yet. Even on this CPU, FS2000 stutters just as badly as it did on the old P3/600. Now I know why all the tweaking we tried never worked.Trip

Guest DNelson

Yup, I remember about a year ago, when the high-end P4 and Athlon processors had hit their stride and were becoming common, stuttering complaints started to increase. In May 2001 I replaced a Celeron 500 (:-erks) with an Athlon 1.33GHz, and I saw no real improvement in stuttering. There was something very odd about FS2000 that thankfully seems to have been fixed in 2002.Dan

Guest DaveKDEN

FS2000??? What's that??? (Don't miss it one bit)Dave

LOL - I actually had to borrow my neighbor's just to see how it would run. I gave mine away. - Trip

Guest C17SimGuy

Huh. . .thats odd. When I upgraded from a PIII 750/256M/voodoo5 to an AMD XP1800+/512DDR/GeForce4Ti4600 and checked to see what FS2000 looked like, it was screamin' above 40fps all the time, all sliders maxxed, and get this: on the ground in the PIC767 (with a Posky United 767) at Wilco's A2V3 KDEN!! Narry a stutter to be found! Go figure. I think FS2000 just likes me, because I always seemed to get really high FPS no matter what/for how long I flew. anyway, :-beerchug "To the future!!"(8-| drew (8-|

Guest PaulL01

> I was fooling around testing FS2002 performance >differences between Win98SE and WinXP Pro on a new CPU (2.2a >Northwood @ 2750Mhz) and I started to wonder about FS2000. >Remember those who, shortly after it was released, cried "MS >has built a sim for the computer of the future"? Well, I'm >here to tell ya, the future isn't here yet. Even on this >CPU, FS2000 stutters just as badly as it did on the old >P3/600. Now I know why all the tweaking we tried never >worked. >>Trip Fs2k ran smooth as silk with the exception of a very occasional pause when I crossed certain scenery areas and that was when I was running a 1.4Ghz T-bird hooked up to a Tnt16 card on win95 running my memory hungry photorealsitic scenery, I did not have many other 3rd party add-ons other than basic scenery and aircraft/panels.I just think that it is very strange as at 2.7Ghz you are realy halling the mail!!!Take Care,

Although I was never hit with the stutters (on a slower system yet--a P3/450 which I later upgraded to a P3/800), there was always a slight hesitation in turns, which is absent from FS2002 and CFS2. Straight and level flight rivaled FS2002 in smoothness, and the same was true for even mild banking. Took about a 30-45 degree bank to bring the hesitation into play.I remember post after post talking about the sim being unflyable, with 1/2 second or longer pauses on final. On final was when things were at their best for me, and the sim was smooth as could be. But I also had little in the way of add-ons, and flew with many FS98 style panels. -John

Yep. It's a strange site flying through the buildings of downtown Chicago at 100+FPS and watching the skyscrapers move along in a series of little "jerks" :-) FS2000 was ever that way for me though. No matter the CPU, or the video card, or the amount of RAM - it always just sort of sputtered. But you're right about the 2.7 Paul, it really moves things along with FS2002. Trip

Guest PaulL01

I think John's as well as your post has rang a bell (or loose screw :-roll ) as in the better aircraft models and with most panels there where the stuttering turns and yes even at 60+ FPS it did jerk along especialy compared to FS2k2 or any other game. I think my initial memory served up a somewhat tainted observation as previously I had been running it on a K6-300 O/C to 400 with TnT card and, well you know the rest.Hey, did you guys try out DX8.1b yet?Yeah Trip, 2.7Ghz sounds sweet!!!:-beerchug

I told you all that a long time ago... I posted this fact 5 months after FS2000 was released. 2000 was a bad year for MS it seems, look at how bad WindowsME was/is.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

For the first time since the release of DX3 I'm not going to be the first on the block to load up the newest version of DirectX. I may try it on the Win98 partition on the weekend, but I just have a bad feeling about 8.1b on the WinXP side.Trip

Now there's a combination if there ever was one - FS2000 running under WinME. That, for sure, should get MS some kind of "Gotcha Award". :-) - Trip