Sign in to follow this  
Guest Darren Howie

Just how good is PMDG 73NG SU2? Incredible!!

Guest Darren Howie

Hi GuysMore of a statement than a question.I have been flying PIC amongst others for quite some time so i was pretty keen to se how good the SU2 pack was given the original release was qute good but not quite up to PIC.Well put simply SU2 has ended my use of FS2002.It is gone,uninstalled.No more PIC.No more FS2002Why?The major improvement is the FMC and autoflight system.Giving you the most comprehensive FMX/Autthrottle/autoflight system ever modelled in FS.You won't believe the new features in the FMC that are missing from PIC.Single engine stuff/descent wind planning etc etc.In the short time i have had it i have just touched the tip of the iceberg.Well the FMC is now better with more functionality than you can believe compared to PIC.PIC really set the benchmark but that has now been lifted to a new level by quite some distance.A great failure system that will be familiar to all PIC users.The flight model was already great but it has moved up another notch if that was possible.I have no odea how they did it but it is awesome.As a long time user of PIC i sort of doubted how well they could make this NG better than the PIC767 which has been the king of sims since it was released. But for those with any interest it is an absolute blinder release and an incredible experience. "The King is dead,long live the King!!"

It is a superb plane! It does require a high end computer to fly with acceptable guage smoothness and frame rates. My 2.0gig P4 does not deliver the horsepower necessary for me to enjoy the plane. Gauge updates are jerky and not realistic. Reality XP's flight line and jeline series deliver exceptionally smooth updates and allows hand flying approaches with the flight director, which I cannot do with 737NG. This is a limitation of my computer, not PMDG's fine efforts, but there is cost for the additional complexity of the 737NG.Back to FSD's Cheyene and reality xp's instrumentation.BobP :)2.0 Gig P4512meg memRadeon 9800 proWin XP pro

Guest hoohah

I've been considering purchasing the 737NG; but I have concerns about how it will perform. I, too, fly the Cheyenne w/ RXP equip and I get acceptable perf. in all areas (I have an AMD 1.3G, 768Mb).If nothing else I guess I can "go left" with the display sliders for use with thh 737NG. Or will it just be too much for my system?wondering,

What video card do you have? Would you consider using the NG in 2002? I currently have both sims installed because my system doesn't run too many add-ons in 2004 very well, especially with UT installed. I primarily use 2002 because of this and can say it's worth it to fly the NG. I actually have more framerate problems with the FSD Cheyenne w/Reality XP and Dreamfleet 734 that I do with the PMDG.It's up to you,ChrisPentium 4 - 1.8 GHz1 Gig RDRAMGeforce Ti4600 128 MBSoundblaster Audigy2

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest Rafael Cervera

Were can I get PIC?

Guest Fishu

SU2's coding seems to be somewhat improved since there was a noticeable increase in FPS.Although theres some weird things with the VNAV in the event of little aloft wind messing - might stay level until kicks the VNAV for a bit or go into 9000fpm crash dive and recover sometime afterwards.FMC got quite an improvement with SU2, especially arr/dep functions with making of star/sid.

" Although theres some weird things with the VNAV in the event of little aloft wind messing - might stay level until kicks the VNAV for a bit or go into 9000fpm crash dive and recover sometime afterwards.[/b}" I really do not mind when folks talk about things they know they are talking about but this is simply a blatent falsehood that DID exist at times in Su1 but not one reported issue in SU2, I have more hours under this thing I cannot even count. Anyways I am not sure what you are talking about but there are no VNAV issues whatsoever in SU2, I will state in front of the whole community that this is the most advances AFDS system made to date, of course that is a point to prove me wrong....................................[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/betaimg.jpg

Guest Ken_Salter

I'm going to move this to the PMDG forum now since questions about the functionality (read: tech support) are raised.

Guest ilh

Can you outline conditions that will have VNAV produce a 9000fpm dive?!? I have flown a lot of testing with SU2 betas and never saw this, even with some brutal (fake) wind changes aloft. I have seen it disconnect when overspeeding due to sudden wind shift to a headwind or a tailwind that disappears suddenly, but no dives.Lee Hetherington (KBED)http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/betaimg.jpg

Let me add my little two cents to this great thread. I just did my first flight with SU2 from TJSJ (San Juan, PR) to KMIA(Miami, FL). My only statement is WOW, it is nothing short of OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!The level change function is really good, the V2 handling of wind shifts is just awesome. I am just starting to find all the little gems that the PMDG team put into this version, just really awesome.If I have a complaint, boy that is a dumb statement with this new version is that it does not save the current state you leave the plane in. I hope that when they do the 800/900 versions that they will add this capability. When I shut a switch, and save the flight, I would like to see it that way when I start back up again. That is a really small complaint.This version is really GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks PMDG, now take some time!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY HOLIDAYSBob JohnsonDenver, CO

Impressive eh Bob. Six straight RC beta flights with it, all faultless :)

One other observation: As I tested with a couple of different real-time weather sources I noticed a couple of issues with them. These sources can make moment to moment severe changes in wind speed, direction and barometric pressure. IMHO, not only are these sudden changes somewhat unrealistic, but it can reek havoc with the Autopilot and Autothrottle automation (although the systems always handled the changes).One tip I discovered during testing, that helps to smooth autopilot operations a bit, is turn on FSUIPC's weather change smoothing functions. For me, the option with the largest impact is the wind speed and direction change options. I have FSUIPC setup to only allow 1knt and 1 degree changes every 5 seconds (have tried options from 2-10 seconds). This option gives the automation a little more time to adjust to significant wind changes.