Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ali

Why is the clock so awkward to access?

Guest Ali

Hello,I would like to know why an important gauge like the clock can only be seen on one panel view? I find this a bit tedious having to go through the VFR view everytime I want to start the stopwatch.Maybe you can make it a separate panel window i.e. map it under shift and 9?Cheers.Alex.

Guest Lenny Zaman

why use the approach view if no indication of what your engines are doing?...enroute timing can be required aswell...

Guest Ali

Well,The clock is used to actually time your block time. As soon as the aircraft starts moving you start the clock and then at the end of the flight when at the stand, you record this time and fill it in your PIREP.This happens a lot especially with virtual airlines...So, it is actually used more often than just approaches.Alex.

A popup would be a great idea! I

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Guest Ali

Well it doesn't look like it's gonna get done...Alex.

Guest netguru

Why not add one yourself? Even as a separate window so that it can be undocked. I just downloaded the FS AI Radar Window Gauge yesterday and installed it this way. I also have another aircraft - Mobile Control Tower II that has an icon on the panel that when pressed pops up a clock in the approximate area of the compass on the 736/7. Should be fairly easy to do. I have always wondered about this since I purchased the NG a few months back. If I find time after work tonight I might try to do this. Let me know if any of you are interested in the panel.cfg section that I have to add to make this work.Thanks,Terry D.ng (netguru)

I would be interested in a pop-up clock Terry, if it does not infringe PMDG's copyright (and a panel.cfg edit shouldn't do that) and it doesn't tread on Randy's toes.Although I can live with where it is a pop-up would be more convenient.Rgds

Guest Ray CYYZ

Not messed much with FS's way of doing things, but is it not just an issue of making it undockable, once undocked, you could go back to your other panel and still have it...Ray

Guest Ali

Hi I would be very interested!alexmartin_uk@hotmail.comAlex.

Guest netguru

Hi All:I have never known an edit of the panel.cfg file to be a violation of copyright but who knows - if it is PMDG shall delete this post. Sorry Randy if I beat you to it, nah nah.Okay - follow along girls and boys this will only hurt a little.1. Open panel.cfg for the panel you want to change - since I fly the 700 exclusively (especially those lovely winglets - I degress) I have done this to both the 2D and the virtual panel types.2. Under the Section (Window Titles) (The parenthesis here are actually brackets in the panel.cfg but these forums use that for another purpose).3. At the end of the list of windows insert: WindowXX=Clock. Replace the XX with the next sequential window number - if your current cfg looks like this Window12=Right CDU then insert this as Window13=Clock.4. Under the Section //--------------------------------------------------------(Window01)after the last gauge insert: gaugeXX=SimIcons1024!Clock Icon, 40,580,24,24 - again watch the double XX and renumber it sequentially. This puts a small clock icon on the main panel above the M on the PanelSwitcher.5. Next go down to the end of the last (Window) section - in our example it would be://--------------------------------------------------------(Window12)file=..panel737NGFMC.bmp file_1024=..panel737NGFMC.bmp size_mm=400,600position=8visible=0ident=cuckoowindow_size= 1.000, 1.000pixel_size=400,600window_pos= 0.000, 0.000gauge00=PMDG_737NG_Main!CDU, 0,0,400,600,Rand insert after this section://--------------------------------------------------------(WindowXX)Background_color=0,0,0 size_mm=120,121window_size_ratio=1.000 position=0visible=0ident=270window_size= 0.100, 0.116window_pos= 0.700, 0.265gauge00=PMDG_737NG_Main!Chronometer, 0,0,120,121,MAINAgain, notice the double XX and renumber it sequentially.6. Save and load FS with the PMDG and it should look something like this (notice the red circle on the left side of the panel):http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/53602.jpg7. Click the Clock Icon and presto (notice the chrono now positioned on the center pillar:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/53603.jpgThe Chrono can be right clicked and undocked. I usually move mine to the second monitor and let it run. If you want to put it back just right click on it and uncheck undock window.Hope this isn't too confusing and is okay with PMDG. If any one needs assistance please let me know.Terry D.ng (netguru)

Many thanks for that terry. All I have to do is move the icon over one place as I have a pushback icon over the 'M' :-)