Sign in to follow this  
Guest JonP01

DX8.1b... help confirm: flashing textures problem fixed

Guest PaulL01

DX update wont install as it should on XP unless certain other updates have been done first (read my first "...proper OS" post in this thread and you will see a link concerning this. Take Care,

>There are two different "flashing" texture problems, one is >Z-buffer related and the other are faulty flatten poly's at >various airports that are easily fixed with a new flatten >set at the proper elevation, your pic seems to very much >resmble that scenario. >>Thanks for the post. :) The new DirectX didn't fix my flashing textures at KBILP3-1000, 512 meg RAM, Geforce2MX

Guest Howard

Thanks for responding. I did see you posts and links. I struggled to find the knowledge base articles. I do have all hotfixes available on windows update installed. Are there others? I did not think the service pack for XP was available.Howard

Paul with EHRD it looks indeed faulty flatten poly's at various airports..."easily fixed with a new flatten set"Could you give an example Paul for EHRD thanks :-)awfEHAM

André

Hi Paul,That DirectX.log file is interesting.It shows some files as newer than the source file and it looks like it will instal new files if they have the same version number :-hmmm Took a flight to KORD yesterday and still found flashing textures around the high-speed exits rwy 27L, not very bad but still there.AMD CPU with 4.40 VIA 4-in-1, GFTi3-200 card, 29.42 drivers, tri-linear flitering & T&L on, Win98SE.Not checked out any other airports yet, in fact cannot remember where I had the flashing textures :-)EDIT:: Added OSRgds

Guest PaulL01

>Hi Paul, >>That DirectX.log file is interesting. >>It shows some files as newer than the source file and it >looks like it will instal new files if they have the same >version number :-hmmm >>Took a flight to KORD yesterday and still found flashing >textures around the high-speed exits rwy 27L, not very bad >but still there. >>AMD CPU with 4.40 VIA 4-in-1, GFTi3-200 card, 29.42 drivers, >tri-linear flitering & T&L on, Win98SE. >>Not checked out any other airports yet, in fact cannot >remember where I had the flashing textures :-) >>EDIT:: Added OS >>RgdsThanks O mighty one! :)I should have detailed my original post with a bit more specifics on what type of texture or object "flashing" that DX8.1b is correcting as what you seem to be describing is fixed via the Flatten.bgl method (Page's technique) as this has to do with some of the airports not having a correct altitude match with the scenery ellements thus the "flashing".So far, I have received fairly accurate data from here as well as a few other sources that DX8.1b has fixed the Z-buffer bug in Fs2k2 as well as a few other game titles I am hearing, but time will surely tell. I can tell you on my system and in certain "test" areas, all is fixed. :)

Guest PaulL01

Thanks go out to everyone for all the great feedback! :)For those with the XP OS, as Trip Lane and others have said you should probably wait for the official DX8.1b XP update which BTW looks like it will come after the XP service pack that is due out sooner or later. :-rollIn the mean time for all others with win98/ME who were able to successfully install the DX8.1b update it looks as if we can say that it has indeed fixed all of the Z-buffer problems with the small AG objects winking/flashing as well as the runway texture peeling away on landings etc. I have gotten plenty of confirmation of this from here as well as other trusted sources and apparently this has been fixed in some other game titles as well.What it did not nor could not fix was the other areas of texture "flashing" and taxiways disappearing into grass etc. as seen in many areas in FS2k2 as a result of some design gaffs in areas where the airport flatten polys don

Guest JonP01

I wonder whether this means the 8.1b Directx also fixes the CFS2/ FS2002 T&L problem - the fact that you previously had to turn T&L off then back on again once per session to solve the texture bleedthrough problems on runways.

My blurred texture problem disappeared when I installed 8.1b. Had to go back to 23.11 drivers after installing 29.42 drivers before. Maybe now I can go back to those drivers. How are they working for you?However, I do now have a "mottled" overlay on panels unless I switch from spot view to panel view.Windows 98SE, 550 Mhz PIIIGEForce 2 MX/MX400 32 MB

I experienced an extremely confusing stuttering issue with 8.1b.. The frame rates were leaping very quickly from 14 or so, upto 200 in some situations. This extreme difference in frame rates produced an incredibly fast sttt,,tut,,,tuutering. I resolved the issue by limiting the frame rate, which I don't normally do anymore. The difference is profound.Win 98se P111 1000Geforce3 29,42's untweeked except for anti aliasing 2x:-)Pete

Paul,You received quite a response to your original post. Would you mind making a new post that summarizes the responses? As you may know, I've been uploading fixes for bleed-thru of grass thru concrete aprons. I've read some of the responses you got, but found it hard to find a trend. Thanks in advance

Guest PaulL01

>Paul, >>You received quite a response to your original post. Would >you mind making a new post that summarizes the responses? >As you may know, I've been uploading fixes for bleed-thru of >grass thru concrete aprons. I've read some of the responses >you got, but found it hard to find a trend. Thanks in >advance Hi Page,What you have generously been fixing with the flatten.bgl for the various airports is as you know not anything that DX8.xx version is going to fix since that is a scenery coding program error on the part of MS, so don

Paul,The airports I've done so far are the following. Nobody has yet informed me that they don't work. All responses are positive. I'll keep working on them. All of these are in aprnfix2.zip:BIKF Keflavik, IcelandEHRD Rotterdam, NetherlandsHRYR Kilgali, Rwanda, AfricaKABE Allentown, PAKBIH Bishop, CAKBIL Billings, MTKBJC Jeffco, CO (Denver)KDTN Downtown Shreveport, LAKGTF Great Falls, MTKJVL Janesville, WIKLMT Klamath Falls, ORKLVS Las Vegas Muni, NVKMCI Kansas City, MOKMEM Memphis, TNKMKC Downtown Kansas City, MO KMLB Melbourne, FLKMSP Minneapolis/St. Paul, MNKMYF Montgomery Fld, CAKOAK Oakland, CAKOKC Oklahoma City, OKKRNO Reno, NVKSDL Scottsdale, AZKSFO San Francisco, CAKSKF Kelly AFB, TXKSPI Springfield, ILKTIK Tinker AFB, OKLEBB Bilbao, SpainLECO A Coruna, SpainLOWI Insbruck, AustriaLPPT Lisbon, PortugalO24 Lee Vining, CASAEZ Buenos Aires, Argentina

Guest JonP01

I suppose I should add that upgrading to DX 8.1b has not fixed the runway texture problems for me. Actually, I can't notice any difference in any respect with the upgrade and I have verified that I have the correct new DX files. As always, however, I am still able to correct the runway texture problems by unchecking and re-checking the T&L checkbox, so it's no big deal. I run Win98SE, Geforce 3 Ti200 with 29.41 drivers. Given that changing from 8.1a to 8.1b hasn't actually done any harm, I guess I am happy to stick with 8.1b. As I said though, I can't see any differences between the two at all apart from the version numbers.