Sign in to follow this  
Guest ilh

Landing on the centerline???

Guest Just747-400

>Alex,>Is it with AP ON or OFF? Hi Mark,Yes, A/P is off, many people complained about it.Regards,Alex

Guest edrutl

Nice Lee - standard pompous response that got almost got me completely out of this hobby.ed

Boy Ed, I hope you don't give up other things in life for other people's actions ;( The 737 NG DOES NOT TRACK DOWN THE CENTER LINE WITH AP ON. The pilot must turn off the AP in an autoland............. Just thought the info was needed ;)[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/betaimg.jpg

Thanks Alex, got it, finally! I will try a landing with maximum allowable crosswind on my system but I don't think I have that problem of not being able to keep the plane on the centreline...Markus

Markus Burkhard

Guest edrutl

Randy,Maybe I wasn't clear - or maybe it's just a lot of frustration that acme out in one post. But I've lurked/posted around AVSIM forums since 1998 (and worked on the AVSIM review staff for a couple of years) and I'm dissapointed in the lack of common courtesy on the site.While I'm sure the beta testers take (and should take) a lot of pride in SU2, there seems to be a certain amount of defensiveness that comes across whenever anybody questions some of the differences from previous versions.While I didn't own the previous version, I do find the PMDG a little quirky on manual crosswind landings - not an idictment of anybody, but my own personal opinion. This opinion is shared by others, but attacked by some testers. I guess Lee's post struck me as a little harsh.ed

Well no problem Ed, I was not defending Lee's post just hoping that we don't let another's precieved attitude take away the things we enjoy, if that was the case I would have thrown out FS long ago. This is a tough call about the landing *realism*, I can only go by what our NG pilots have stated here and I certainly trust there word over anyone who does not fly the NG. Iz happnes to be flying the NGs now and I would respect anything he has to say on this matter but when I read cetain folks who do not fly NGs try to preach about real flight handling makes me wonder what they are thinking when they talk sideways about things they no nothing about. Anyways Ed, things sometimes get worked up in these posts, I hope you can ignore some of the BS here, I do daily ;) [h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/betaimg.jpg

Guest Just747-400

> The 737 NG DOES NOT TRACK DOWN THE CENTER LINE WITH AP ON.>The pilot must turn off the AP in an autoland.............Randy,Just a curiosity is 737NG authorized for auto lands?Regards,Alex

Guest Just747-400

Randy,Please try to understand me that I am not trying to pick a fight, just as I mentioned,Curiosity.Next statement is if the airplane is capable LAND3 or LAND2 the rollout arms at about 5ft radio alt and provides the autopilot to control rudder and nose wheel steering to track the centerline.Therefore, there is no reason for the pilot to disconnect the A/P for an AUTOLAND.Regards,Alex :-)

If you try to set me up, at least know for sure your case Alex, it will help your point much better insted of making such statements based on no facts. Now for Curiosity I will respond.. AUTOLAND #7. After touchdown, Captain must disconnect A/P because there is no automatic tracking of the centerline." Bill Bulfer 737 NG FMC GUIDE.......... [h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/betaimg.jpg

Guest fturner

This rudder issue is apparent on my system as well.I was flying on my first flight with this great product saying to myself, darn, finaly a product that is running right the first time out......Until KORD decided to come up and meet me instead of me meeting KORD.Everything was running great on final approach with tracking the LOC and G/S. At 200AGL I disconnected the autopilot and immediately lost the view of the runway as the 737 decided to yaw big time first to the left then right. I kicked the rudder hard over to compensate as well as banked hard against the roll caused by this event and slammed the throttles up full and raised the nose up to climb.Result, one 737 written off to the bone yard.Before some of you jump all over me, for your info I can do this with any other aircraft installed and I do not have this big yaw problem, so its NOT my controls.best regardsFraser

Guest Just747-400

>> If you try to set me up, No, I do not try to set you up.>at least know for sure your case>Alex, it will help your point much better insted of making>such statements based on no facts.I did not make any statement about 737NG, I am not qualified in is aircraft and that was the reason why I asked if this A/C is capable for LAND3 or at least LAND2.I found out also form your manuals published on the web page that the A/C is capable of this type of operations, also I saw the airplane conducting CAT III B approaches, and that is a requirement for that type of operation.Now talking about PFD flight annunciations, I am very familiar with their meanings and especially with LAND3 and LAND2 and the MESSAGE on PFD where is says NO ROLLOUT. For this message you have to use rudder to keep the aircraft on centerline, it is your choice to disconnect the A/P.Again, I am not qualified in 737NG but I am qualified in 747-400 and the PFD and ND are very similar and also find the annunciations.Also on ADVANCED FMC OPERATIONS from your published manual(page 54), it is an interesting statement like

Guest ilh

I was reacting to "Seems that all the beta testers has flown with autoland or in calm weather." which I found a bit offensive. I did not intend to sound pompous, rather I was briefly refuting that claim.I certainly understand that just because I do not see a problem does not mean others do not. There are so many variables in FS configurations/hardware that cause widely different performance on different systems.I apologize if I offended.Lee Hetherington (KBED)http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/betaimg.jpg

Alex, I enjoy discussions, I really do but when you asked me if the NG performs AUTOLANDS you were either insulting my intelligence or setting me up (Again this is not a bad thing if you prove your point well) so here is what you said; "Next statement is if the airplane is capable LAND3 or LAND2 the rollout arms at about 5ft radio alt and provides the autopilot to control rudder and nose wheel steering to track the centerline.Therefore, there is no reason for the pilot to disconnect the A/P for an AUTOLAND." Which was not a question whatsoever but a clear "It must be so because.." You cannot believe what a Captain says in his book (which by the way is well known for not only the 737s but for 747-757) but expect us to except your word because you know the 744? What does know the 744 mean? I also know the 744 more than the average guy unless you are a 744 pilot? The 737NG is unique Alex in many ways and quite unlike it's other siblings including the 744. What *others* do in replys is there business, I was not even talking about the PMDG 737, I was refering to the REAL NG. Just because we happen to belong to the same beta does not mean we think alike, I try not to play the emotion card, and I expect the same from those I converse with, personal comments and emotions belong in therapy, not on a public forum where many different ideas converge to make the soup salty. So let's talk with a more open and respectfull manner, giving each other the due respect and we can avoid spending our times writing such lenghty replys defending our actions and more time on learning from each other, so I hope you are not offended and continue to share some insights ;) [h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/betaimg.jpg

Guest Just747-400

Randy,This is so funny, it was just as I asked, if the airplane does auto lands? No intelligence insulting or setting you up.I find so difficult that such a new airplane like 737NG with LAND3 or LAND2 futures not to track the centerline with an annunciation of ROLLOUT. The question is why would they integrate the ROLLOUT future in PFD display if it does nothing?Just wondering.On the other hand, I do not expect you or anybody else to take my word because I know the Boeing 747-400.As I said I am qualified as a Capt on 747-400 and do not wish to put my credentials here on the web page, but I fly this airplane for over 12 years with thousands of flight hours.This does not imply that you are wrong or I am correct, it was a question and is still something that I find hard to believe.I was and I am not disrespectful at all, I did not insult you and have no intentions whatsoever also I am not offended at all and I am very open.Regards,Alex