Sign in to follow this  
badderjet

Win XP Home - CONFUSED (well actually not FlightSim rel

Ok you Gurus out there... Well, I'm a bit confused with XP, look:I have Win XP Home Edition, and when installing it, I set up 1 user: Etienne (no password). When having a look in Control Panel/User Accounts, there is 1 user, and that's "Etienne", which has administrative rights because it's (so far) the only user.Now, when booting, "Etienne" gets logged on automatically, no logon screen. When accessing the logon screen by clicking Start/Log off "Etienne", there comes the logon screen with one (1) user: Etienne. Also in Control Panel/Accoutns there is 1 user.So far - so good.Well, recently I had to boot in safe mode, and "Etienne" did NOT get logged on automatically - the logon screen appeared - and there were TWO (!) users to choose: "Etienne" and "Administrator". Well I never could log on as "Administrator" before, until now, only in safe mode. So I tried loggin on as "Administrator" and I got a desktop looking like shortly after a fresh Windows installation. I had a look in Control Panel/Accounts and there were - who had thought of it - two (!) users: "Etienne" and "Administrator". :-hmmm *totally confused*So now: Please tell me, why I can only log on as "Administrator" when booting in Safe mode?Regards :-wave from EDDFhttp://flightsimmers.net/airport/etti/signature_pro.jpgP.S.: What about file encrypting? When right-clicking a file, selecting Properties, I cannot encrypt a file, this option is DISABLED (always, also in safe mode, also when logged on as "Administrator"). How to enable this feature?

The Administrator account is basically set up to be a hidden internal account that wouldn't be used as a normal user account. Rather, you'ld use a user account that has administrator privileges. In XP Home, from what I know, the only way to log in with this account is in Safe Mode. In XP Pro you can press ctrl-alt-del at the logon screen to access the Administrator account (plus there's a registry entry you can change to force it to show).Also, I don't believe file encryption can be enabled in the Home edition, only in Pro.Clyde

No problem, I just edited my first message with the info on encryption.Clyde